Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - results for Sat, Oct 6th 2012

Trispen 1 (1) Storm 3 (1)

A very open game at Trispen that could have gone either way. Matt Clarkson opened the scoring when his cross from the left byline somehow found the far corner of the net (he claims he intended it, but not one soul would believe him). After a few chances at either end, Trispen then saw a goal awarded by the ref, and then taken away when the ref spoke to the lino, who had awarded offside. From where I was stood, it was a tight call and i'm aware that those who were in a better position to see it than me (namely members of the Trispen defence, several yards behind play!!) were unhappy with the decision. However, the decision was given and the ref chalked the goal off. Trispen then equalised with a free header from a corner that Danny Wills was nearly able to clear off the line. Playing downhill after the break, we were put under a fair bit of pressure early on but when Danny Maybin cut in from the right he rode three challenges along the edge of the area before the fourth connected and the free kick was awarded. Danny stepped up confidently and hit a superb curling effort with his left foot into the top corner, with the keeper rooted to the spot.

David Mitchell scored a late breakaway goal to seal the points for us. Could have been a different story on another day, with Trispen being largely wasteful in front of goal. It would only have taken one or two of those opportunities to be finished and they would have seen the game out A far better side than the Trispen that we played last year, we will have to up our game for the return match if we want to be successful.

Great food post-match as always and good luck to Trispen until we play them again!!

Frogpool 2-5 penryn 3rds

Penryn scorers jay durber x4 Jamie Allen.

Played on a lovely surface, top marks to the groundsmen. Frogpool good bunch of lads all the best for the season. Young referee had a very good game. Jc next week away to helston.

As a madron player i can understand everyones frustration but we feel the same,Both sides have had full squads this season but unfortunately our pitch isn't looking healthy at the moment,We were told we had Camborne school of mines at home which was then changed to an away fixture which they couldnt fulfill according to the league,I then heard we were to play Illogan away but they had been given another fixture on the same day?? As far as cricket goes Kash we have a few lads that play but there season is over and Madron dont have a cricket team.It seems to me that the league doesnt seem to be working fixtures out too well at the moment,Our seconds had a free weekend a couple of weeks back and so did St.Ives mariners so we offered to play down at their place and pay for the referee and concede home advantage but the league wouldn't accept that?Our lads are as pissed off as anyone at not playing on a saturday so i'll send apolagies but it seems to be out of our hands,i'm just hoping our chairman and the league can sort themselves out and both sides have a fixture on saturday and hopefully we'll see some of you lads for a game and a pint at some point this season :drink::thumbsup::smiley20:

As part of the CSM committee I can promise you that we were all set to play the game last week. Our secretary had not heard from your guys all week and on trying to contact you on Thursday/Friday had no luck. At no stage were we asked to organise the fixture at our place and as far as I am aware the league also had no knowledge of this.

As a madron player i can understand everyones frustration but we feel the same,Both sides have had full squads this season but unfortunately our pitch isn't looking healthy at the moment,We were told we had Camborne school of mines at home which was then changed to an away fixture which they couldnt fulfill according to the league,I then heard we were to play Illogan away but they had been given another fixture on the same day?? As far as cricket goes Kash we have a few lads that play but there season is over and Madron dont have a cricket team.It seems to me that the league doesnt seem to be working fixtures out too well at the moment,Our seconds had a free weekend a couple of weeks back and so did St.Ives mariners so we offered to play down at their place and pay for the referee and concede home advantage but the league wouldn't accept that?Our lads are as pissed off as anyone at not playing on a saturday so i'll send apolagies but it seems to be out of our hands,i'm just hoping our chairman and the league can sort themselves out and both sides have a fixture on saturday and hopefully we'll see some of you lads for a game and a pint at some point this season :drink::thumbsup::smiley20:

As part of the CSM committee I can promise you that we were all set to play the game last week. Our secretary had not heard from your guys all week and on trying to contact you on Thursday/Friday had no luck. At no stage were we asked to organise the fixture at our place and as far as I am aware the league also had no knowledge of this.

Hi Gus90,sorry to hear you were not informed of the change in venue but our secretary has a letter from the league fixtures secretary confirming the fixture was reversed due to our pitch not being available,so i guess the league had some knowledge of this.

Trelawny Premier

6th October 2012

Penzance Reserves 1-2 St Agnes Reserves

Sometimes you watch a game and you wish the referee would blow his whistle early and sometimes you want an extra few minutes. Well this game fell into the latter category, as St Agnes had to swap their keeper late on due to injury with the Magpies 2-1 down and pushing hard for an equaliser, which would probably have come in those extra minutes.

Penzance played the better football during the whole game (but got caught out with two quick goals early in the second half when their heads were still in the dressing room) and deserved at least a point. They belied their lowly league position and took the game to their opponents and for once we even heard them shouting at each other instead of playing in silence!

St Agnes have the first chance of the game when a through ball sees them one-on-one but their striker shoots wide.

From then on for the half it is mostly Penzance, but their final ball or long range shooting does not seriously threaten the St Agnes goal apart from a couple of close chances. A Penzance throw on the left is squared for a turn and volley from the edge of the box but the ball whips past the back post. Penzance break right, square the ball to the edge of the box for a volley which the young St Agnes keeper grabs at the second attempt.

Penzance keeper, Dan Baber, gets clattered in a tackle and spends the rest of the game as a member of the walking wounded.

H-T

Penzance come out with their half-time team talk ringing in their ears and tea sloshing in their bellies and switch off for 6mins allowing St Agnes to grab 2 goals against the run of play.

On 47mins, after a minute of St Agnes knocking the ball around the middle of the Magpies half, they knock the ball left to right along the line before crossing for a free header mid-goal from 8yds out to make it 0-1.

4mins later the second goes in, again following pressure around the box. The ball is fired in low and hard, deflecting here and there before a toe-poke from 9.5inches sees it cross the line.

Penzance now get their act together and push up the field. One criticism is when they have a set piece why have 3 or 4 back defending against one striker. Perhaps it was fear of allowing a breakaway goal.

A Penzance corner on their left comes over, is headed goal-wards forcing the St Agnes keeper to finger-tip it onto the bar and away.

With 25mins left, Penzance reply when they break right, pump the ball high and long into the box for a low shot from 10yds out making the score 1-2.

It is mostly one way now with St Agnes making the odd break, easily defended.

Penzance break down the middle, volley in a rising shot from 25yds which the keeper again finger-tips over the bar.

The St Agnes keeper gets injured and is replaced in goal.

Penzance press forward having most of the procession but St Agnes defend with 10 men behind the ball and there is no way through.

Final action sees St Agnes win a corner on their right. The ball is knocked over to the back of the box for a header that hits the outside of the post as it goes through.

F-T

Match Facts

Corners: Penzance 5-6 St Agnes

Foul conceded: Penzance 8-11 St Agnes

Attendance: 31

peggy78, what was your ref like then, sounds like he did ok, bearing in mind it looks like he had a controversial decision to make..

Spoke to the ref after the game and he explained his side of the story, which is that he instructed his assistants to give the decision and wait until the ref had acknowledged him, which our Lino did. The ref saw the flag but allowed play to continue, as there was a Trispen striker clearly in an offside position who didn't receive the ball as well as the player who did. After the ball went dead in the back of our net, the ref checked which player the lino had called offside, which was the player who received the ball, so play was taken back to the original offence of offside.

I think the biggest issue was that the Trispen players had felt that the ref had over-ruled the lino, which wasn't the case. As for the decision itself, I have already said it was tight, but I will 100% say that the guy holding the flag gave what he saw and is as honest as they come.

As for the ref, I thought he had a reasonable game. He let a lot slide, but I felt that it was equal for both sides. Consistency is the one thing I truly appreciate from a ref.