Cornwall Football Forum

Discussion about Falmouth's ground - Sat 6th October 2012

Disappointing from a players point of view believe we would of given perran a game with or without worty, but its hammering it down out their and 3 games in seven days was just one too many. Have fun with your conspiracy theories I'll be watching st ives and hayle, if its on :-)

Falmouth first team playing home tues night Scoffy, rain forecast tomoz night, Sunday and Tuesday, assume that's off as well if pitch already waterlogged? B interesting to see if the pitch is ok then lol ;-) ( just teasing my friend ######)

Lol mark my words mate, give Rodgers time, it will work! More to the point how the hell did u get that result against Swindon, I wasn't happy! Will pick a Sunday game on sky when maybe we don't have to get up for work on the Monday bud then I can make sure my fridge is full of cold ones lol

I would disagree, 1st team have been proper unlucky with injuries recently but we had 16 last week against st day without Dave rawlings, Nathan mac, Luke Murray and Luke appleton, kirk played but he was the only regular 1st teamer, if the club is short of players its injuries not friction.

Wonders how many have actually seen the state of the pitch!

The 1st team played last tuesday when the ref should have called it off late but didn't because the Liskeard team would be a bit peeved at travelling so far for nothing (especially themselves having "issues" with 1st and 2nd team players!) So todays match is called off early.

Dammed if you dont,dammed if you do!

The fact is that on Tues the pitch was playable. It cut up pretty severely and although the work done by Mark sees the pitch at its best for a long time and the drainage as good as it can be, the ground is sodden . No one wants games to be called off they are what most clubs rely on to survive. Its ludicrous to suggest dark forces are at work. Not sure if it could have been marked out on top of mud to be honest.

Suzie, your comments are ludicrous! It was still 4hours before a decision needed to be made when you posted it! Perran reps want down around 1ish and said ground was lovely, would have been able to wear mouldees was the main comment I heard!

The fact is the game was called off way to early given the clubs are less than 10mims away and the appointed ref was also fairly local!

It's up for people to decide whether it was a honest mistake by Falmouth inspecting the pitch almost 24 hours before kick off and calling I off or whether they did it deliberately because they were short of players, the 1st team needed a few players and they knew they wouldn't get away with calling it off in the summer weather that was forecast on Saturday all day!

I'm not a club representative but all the players at perran know what they think the truth is.

Also feel sorry for St Buryan because our 2nd team was strengthened due to the cancellation and st buryan lost out in a tight game to a goal from a reinstated first teamer!

Just to set the record straight for all of you "know it all armchair experts" who hide behind pseudonyms, NOBODY at Falmouth Town AFC called the game off against Perranwell. It was postponed by the Match Referee who carried out his own pitch inspection and informed our Match Secretary of his decision. It is ridiculous to suggest we didn't want the game played especially as it is the financial life blood of the club earning money on the gate and in the clubhouse afterwards. An empty bar at 5pm is of no use to us at all.

I expect the Official who by all accounts had water up to his ankles in some places was worried about the safety of players (especially given our experience of late), the ball not bouncing or running freely possibly and whether the game would reach it's natural conclusion? I suggest if you have a problem then contact him for the truth and his reasons then post them on here using your real names!! That would be fair to everyone I believe.

We had a full squad available to both our Combo and 1st Teams for yesterday as it happens even taking into account our extensive injury list. Only one second team player went to Ivybridge as cover because he had no game. That's the spirit between our two squads & managers and yes we will continue to rotate our players as needed.

Unless you know the real facts Gentlemen I suggest you another topic to try and fabricate!!

Case closed now!

Steve Kimberley

Director of Football

Falmouth Town AFC

B) :SM_carton:

Calm down dear! Football is full of conspiracy theories. It does seem that Falmouth are able to regularly able to cancel on a Friday, and that without doubt raises quite a few eyebrows. First comment when I heard the game was off " well the first team is playing Tuesday" and that is not a theory but a fact. Also with Mr Rose as chairman (ex referee) then you have a lot going for you in that department, but of course its just a conspiracy theory, but it helps - HO HO HO!!!!

Don't know how long you have been around football???? but get used to it, it ain't going to go away.

Wonders how many have actually seen the state of the pitch!

The 1st team played last tuesday when the ref should have called it off late but didn't because the Liskeard team would be a bit peeved at travelling so far for nothing (especially themselves having "issues" with 1st and 2nd team players!) So todays match is called off early.

Dammed if you dont,dammed if you do!

All due respect who are you to tell any referee or indeed myself that this game should of been called off, The pitch was deemed fit to play and safe for the players to play football, I dont worry about whether the pitch will be alright next week of next day just that my game will start and will finish.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately Monty that is the biggest problem some times.... People don’t care about the pitch!!!!! Which to be honest is one of the main things involved in a game of football.

Too many people are critics when games are called off however will never get up early on a Saturday morning and head down to the club with a fork in their hand or ask is there anything they can do to help, but then that could be a sentence from most conversations in life, easier to criticize.

I’m not involved with Falmouth Town at all but I do know how much hard work Mark Jones puts in to get games on, and Falmouth is a very difficult pitch to manage, lots of teams and bad drainage. And again I know how much hard work Mark is putting in to solve this problem too.

What no-one but a Groundsman will understand is the difficulty to put pitches back after a game. Just one game can make a pitch unplayable for weeks or leave a problem for the rest of the season. 90 minutes football this time of year and this type of weather can equal 5-6 hours of work extra on top of normal weekly tasks. However by cancelling just one game can help for the rest of the season.

More and more people want to see "carpet" like football pitches all year around, but less and less people want to help.

Not having a go at you Monty personally just been following the topic and though I would add a comment as a Groundsman and a friend of Mark Jones.

The game was called off by a referee and I hope in guidance of Mark the Groundsman, so that should be end of conversation, are we going to talk about every game that gets called off this year????….Sometimes I personal feel better if the referee asks my thoughts and judgments, as we are the ones who have to put it right. Anyway game is long gone and perhaps instead of people being on here maybe people should go down to their local club and ask the question “Do you need any help” and perhaps more games will go ahead this winter.

On a personal note I thought our game a St Day was looking in doubt on Friday however I knew we was going to have a dry night and a nice day on Saturday and yeah are game did go ahead so maybe this game at Falmouth was called off early…but a Groundsman knows their pitch and I knew ours would drain well, perhaps mark might also know how his pitch will drain????

Would players not rather know early??? Or would they rather know at 12 o’clock?? This are questions that can be answered so that we perhaps know as Groundsman for the future, Ive always thought players would want to know as early as possible but perhaps my thinking has been wrong all along…….

Thanks

Mark Leah

Hi Mark,

I do take alot of considerations into account with regards pitches and the people that work on them, but at the end of the day they are there to play football on and not to be put forward into the Chelsea flower show or even for the groundsman to say look at my pitch its like a snooker table??, When any referee is asked to inspect a pitch they should take into account the weather for the rest of the day and then the condition of the pitch on inspection and also can the game be finished and played safely? Most games are called off early because there are no groundsperson available to carry our forking etc etc because they are at work andthe vincinity of the away team travelling, I also appreciate that alot of groundsman like yourself and Mark Jones take pride in what you do and do it in all of your spare time but if it was left to a groundsperson to inspect a pitch we would never have any games during winter months, I inspected Bickland today and one half of the pitch was ok to play but the other half is under water so deemed unsafe to play and with it still raining and not likely to stop i postponed it, but had both halfs been good it could well have been playable if not still raining?

To wreck a pitch this early in a season would be insanity. The referee should take that into account, not ignore it!!! The football season is now 10 months long. There is plenty of time to fit fixtures in, time to put brains into gear methinks Monty.

No disrespect intended but these clubs do not have 10 groundsman lined up to repair it like they do at the Chelsea flower show.

Think about it please.

Wow a lot to read through!! Firstly thank you for your kind comments Mark, I know you are doing a very good job at St.Day.

I dont want to be too specific or write loads here, but I do want to make a couple of points. Cancelled games= Loss revenue. The best player in any club to bring in money is your football pitch!

I know the problems with the limited drainage at Bickland but, like many clubs I dont have the finances to get improved drainage systems and machinery to maintain it. This is very frustrating when you have the knowledge to put things right but not the means. I wont be the first and I wont be the last groundsman to be in this situation. I am confident this can be worked towards in any club, so fingers crossed for a positive future. I hate seeing games postponed, unless the pitch will be churned up as a result of poor drainage and playing in unsuitable conditions of course!

Lets hope for a dry winter! :wacko: :)