Cornwall Football Forum

PAYING FINES

Guest WINNO

Can someone clear this up for me.

If a club pays players fines for them during the season. How come if they wanna leave that club can they all of a sudden hold that player to ransome saying they must repay the money.Surely if its club policy to pay the fines then its their fault.

YES OR NO

:mellow:

Agree mate totally. But at the end of season if a club has paid the fines of its players, how can they then stop them playing for another club the next season. Surely its their own fault......

Actually m8 it isnt.... But I know what your on about.

Whats your take on this.

If a player leaves midway through a season then perhaps it's a little different. But at the start of a new one one I find this as unreasonable and the clubs fault for paying the fines in the first place.....

If a player commits the offence then the player is responsible for the fine & should pay it,if a club pays the fine & if the player decides to leave then thats the clubs' problem unless they have got something in writing

to say otherwise. With the lack of loyalty these days clubs should let players pay there own fines then theres no problem. The only exception is maybe a youngster or person who doesnt work,club pay the fine & player repays weekly otherwise player pays.

Yeah im with you 100%

Not an issue in my time at Mousehole..players pay own fines FULL STOP.

Heres the scenario...player persuaded to join club , offered money , club don't ask for fine money for fear of pissing player off , one day he's persuaded to sign for another club.....suddenly first club want money back.

Sorry , i don't think it can work that way.

Another problem made worse by clubs encouraging players to misbehave.

What is the bloody point of a player having his fine paid by the club?

No wonder this game is embarrassingly devoid of principles and sportmanship.

Do I get this right. I argue with the ref and get fined and the club says "That's alright don't worry, we'll pay the fine?" "Go on, don't worry, cheat, cripple players, ruin the game. We'll make sure that you don't get punished?

If a club's so devoid of any principles that they pay a player's fines, then they deserve no sympathy.

To repeat, no wonder this game is in a disciplinary hole.

It should be mandatory that players pay their own fines. (I actually thought it was.)

sorry, I need a rant from time to time.

Guest Peppermint

Calm down Bill - go and have a lie down! I agree perhaps the players should pay their fines but each club has different views and rules. Some clubs have a ruling that dissent etc has to be paid by the players but other fines for other reasons are paid by the club.

Seriously in answer to Winnos' problem - Newquay had the same problem as well as some other clubs at the start of last season when a few players who had moved from a club who shall be nameless had letters [plus copies to Newquay] demanding that fines from the previous season had to be paid. The players themselves stated that the agreement with their then manager was that the Club paid the fines. When the manager and most of the players left the said club they decided to pursue the matter.

Needless to say Newquay or the players did not pay the fines from the previous season and the players concerned represented Newquay last season.

Hope this helps Winno.

Winno I think you will find that a previous club can stop a player playing for you if that player owes the previous club money. As you know when a player is fined there is a short time limit for the fine to be paid which is why most clubs pay the fines in the initial stages - I think if the fine isn't paid in the required time an additional fine is imposed on the players club. It is then up to the club to collect the fine off that player if it is their policy to do so. Some clubs just pay the fines for their players but as you know at St Agnes we collect the monies back - or at least Jim tries to - sadly not all players do pay their fines back and then when they move on to another club they still owe us money. A letter in writing is then sent to the club that they have moved to and they are not able to play until either the new club or the player pays up the fine. We have this season had both ends of that but there is nothing you can do the outstanding money owed to the previous club has to be paid before they can play for you - thats gospel according to Jim Stenning anyway!

Good luck for the season! x

Winno - this is how sad things are getting in my life - I have just looked in the County Handbook - you should have one somewhere - on page 112/113 it refers to Football Debt Recovery. It clearly says in paragraph 19.9 (oh dear now I am really sad!) that an individual may be suspended by the FA until debt is paid unless there is an appeal within 21 days of the notification that the fine is owed. I would suggest you read the book - its not the best bed time reading - but if the player has grounds to appeal then do so and if not you have to pay within 21 days or he will be suspended anyway!

######

so ally just to be awkward some clubs can say cough up or u cant go elsewhere!

i have always paid my fines straight away(not that i have had many just 4 yellows and 1 red) if u have done the crime then u pay the fine!! no one else has committed the offence but you so u are responsible!!!

anyway with some teams paying silly money in all standards of amateur football these days im sure some can afford it!

!

I agree with what is being said on here and b4 I go any further I am not aming any of this at Aggie I know the policy there and its the right one you pay your fines yourself Im questioning another club whom had the aggreement with the player in question and others apparently. That they would pay the fines and that would be it. So how now at the start of a new season they can be saying he owes this money......

It seems that it is oviously down to the clubs discretion who is liable to pay fines. But as has been said previously, if the player is stupid enough to go gobbing off at the referee and get himself booked for desent, then he should be expected to pay the fine. However, if fouls are committed by players trying to ligitimately win the ball back for their team I think this is a different matter! But as I said this is down to the clubs to clarify with the player.

Not many people know this but told the other day by manager of a combination team that if player owes club money and they cant recov er within 52 days it is written off as FA etc will not help after this time period so the club have no backbone to stand on, they can ask but they may never get it,

In my opinion its their own fault for paying it in first place and few clubs seem to pay these fines just to get holding on the player and stop him from leaving which again is wrong.

i no exactly what you mean, last season i got sent off or booked or something and never heard anymore of it, wasnt asked to pay a fine or anthing, then when i left the club at the end of the season the club said i owed money.i didnt pay it and dont intend to.

also once the fine has been payed by the club how can it be proved if the player has payed or not.

i no exactly what you mean, last season i got sent off or booked or something and never heard anymore of it, wasnt asked to pay a fine or anthing, then when i left the club at the end of the season the club said i owed money.i didnt pay it and dont intend to.

also once the fine has been payed by the club how can it be proved if the player has payed or not.

It's hardly worth making a comment.

O.K, You know you owed the money, but if the club can't prove it, you aren't paying it.

You must be an asset to any club that signs you. Clubman of the Year this year?

Last season the CCFA stopped the requirement for players to sign and aknowledge bookings, although they should be informed by the club secretary. This resulted in no written proof that the player had been informed. If a player owes money, a registered letter should be sent to him with the amount. Failure then to pay after two weeks gives the right to the club to approach the CCFA who then have the power to ban that player from playing until the fine is paid

So if a player is fined and the club pass it on to them to pay, who is liable for the fine incurred if they don't pay it within the set time - the player or the club? And who is responsible for then chasing the player further for payment? If the answer to both of these questions is 'the club' then it is no wonder clubs pay the fine within the time limit and then try and get it back off their players at a later date. If the fine for late payment is added to what the player owes and it is the CCFA that chases them for payment then the club should just pass the fine onto the player and wash their hands of it.

That makes lots of sense Ronin only its not as simple as that because clubs are also under their own discipline records as well - I'm not completely up to date with how that works but clubs also have to be aware that where the CCFA is concerned the club has a discipline record too and can get individual fines which is my understanding as to why our secretary has always run the system of our club paying the fine then reclaiming back from the player. It has its problems but generally players are good as gold and eventually come up with the pennies - at least the clubs discipline record then remains intact.

To reply to Jonah on players paying their fines if it was their fault they got booked but not if the tackle was to legitimately win a ball back - I don't think that makes a difference - I think if a player is booked whether they think the ref made the correct decision or not its not the clubs responsibility its still the players.

Th reply to thebignumber9 - I would agree that if the clubs policy is to pay all fines and the only time you are chased is when you leave that seems harsh - unless thats what is agreed as you join the club? I do query the logic that it was a SWL club who collects money on the gate - we are only in the Combo League but our gate money, raffle money, tea hut money etc is needed for lots of other things like insurances/affiliations/pitch work etc not for paying players fines.

Winno - I never thought you were considering us in your query - see you in the season. x

The best and easiest way out of this problem, of paying fines is that a player is told by the Club break the rules & you pay the fine, because if the club pays then technically, there is no real punishment to the player concerned,

Surely it's like being caught for speeding you have to pay the fine yourself, why should the club or anybody have to pay because you have not abided by the rules, Join any club & there is a set of rule to abide by,

end of story.

Hammers :huh::c: :c:

Mandy,

If you where actually in the changing rooms when things have been said to players it would make a difference. On many occasions I, along with others, have been told to go out there and let players know i'm there and quote 'get stuck into them'. If this is then not done we get a bollocking at half-time, and asked if we want to stay on or be substituted. This inevitably results in players going flying into challenges that result in bookings, all because we have been asked to then be committed for the team. This then results in cautions being received and, on occasions, sendings off occuring. I dont condone dirty play at all, but some players are pushed into making challenges they normally wouldn't by the management, which then results in bookings.

As i've said, if it is cleared up when you join a club that you are lyeable for all fines received then players would know where they stand and we would not have this situation!

Mandy,

If you where actually in the changing rooms when things have been said to players it would make a difference. On many occasions I, along with others, have been told to go out there and let players know i'm there and quote 'get stuck into them'. If this is then not done we get a bollocking at half-time, and asked if we want to stay on or be substituted. This inevitably results in players going flying into challenges that result in bookings, all because we have been asked to then be committed for the team. This then results in cautions being received and, on occasions, sendings off occuring. I dont condone dirty play at all, but some players are pushed into making challenges they normally wouldn't by the management, which then results in bookings.

Do the crime - do the time; simple.

If you are a no-brainer who puts in dangerous or violent tackles at the behest of your team manager then be aware that people like me brandish red cards willingly at such offenders without any concern towards which one of you coughs up the pennies.

Serious Foul Play is one thing that I have to deal with when tempers get heated out there but anybody (as quoted a few paragraphs before this posting) deliberately offends as ordered from the bench then my report makes mention of Deliberate Violent Conduct by the offending player and Serious Misconduct by Club Officials.

Football is still a gentleman's game where the hooligans stay off the pitch.