Cornwall Football Forum

Club or team what's your view?

After listening to a few grumbles from last nights Falmouth liskeard match I was surprised to hear that the second team had decided to withdraw a couple of promoted players from liskeards squad.surely this should be the opposite way Round. Was interested to see if this is cOmmon practice in this league.personally if I was in charge of a first team I would have been as happy as the liskeard management which was not very to say the least.

This is the main reason Darren Edwards and Karl Curtis left last season!

No support from the second team. How can he pull lads from his team so late in the day?

By all accounts Martin Burgess had 2 second team lads helping out on the bench last night and the second team manager told him you can't have them as we have a big game Saturday! It's Tuesday for one? Plus surely who does the club want to be more successful the first team or seconds?

the whole set up at liskeard is wrong sounds to me like the 2nd team gaffer is unhappy he was overlooked for the main job and a few of his local lads being pushed aside for a plymouth based group of players to play in the first team .. surely the players in question would rather force there way into the 1st team .

I've heard this story before - there seem to be several clubs where the second team is like a separate club within a club.

Call me old fashioned but the reserve team should be just that - a back-up to the first team.

Do these people attach themselves to a club in order to compete in the ECPL or Combination or whatever without actually considering themselves part of the club?

Presumably they wouldn't be accepted as the Dog & Duck FC or whatever.

Have to agree with you argyle man reserves should always back up the first team, surely committee members would have made this clear at the start of the season. Are there any second team managers out there who feel this shouldn't be the case and that they should be a " club within a club" ??

Talk crap on here…

So be honest you never pulled your lads out of Tuesdays first team game away to Falmouth? Martin Burgess had 2on the bench for a evening game! Where your lads where keen to help out?! You pulled them out saying you had a big game Saturday. What a joke!

Liskeard had to name Kev Harley on the bench there assistant manager.

I've never seen Burgy so animated, he was let down by you right at the last minute…

You have the cheek to try say its bollocks.

No smoke with out fire....

Talk crap on here…

So be honest you never pulled your lads out of Tuesdays first team game away to Falmouth? Martin Burgess had 2on the bench for a evening game! Where your lads where keen to help out?! You pulled them out saying you had a big game Saturday. What a joke!

Liskeard had to name Kev Harley on the bench there assistant manager.

I've never seen Burgy so animated, he was let down by you right at the last minute…

You have the cheek to try say its bollocks.

No smoke with out fire....

No I never pulled anyone out from any fixture so if you want to have an intelligent conversation about anything get your facts right first. I merely passed a message on regarding one player!

As I said before "Utter crap"

Either keep your thoughts to yourself or go and choose another team to try and wind up. Liskeard seem to get their fair share of this, there are other teams out there, go find one muppet!

MQx

There are obviously people commenting on this situation that are close to me at Liskeard. I'm sure people could see how disappointed i was to be turning up at Falmouth with 2 on the bench plus my assistant Kev Harley(decent player 40 years ago!!!!!!). Players ask questions and wonder why no reserve players were called in, especially when they didnt have a midweek game. On the morning of the game i had 2 lads from the reserves in the squad. 1 pulled out early as had an illness in the family and i had a message from the resreves manager at 4pm (30 minutes before leaving for Falmouth) that the other player couldn't play due to injury (24 hours previously said player mentioned nothing about injury and was fine to play).

My disappoint comes that it never gave me anytime to bring in any other players. On speaking to the late withdrawer, his reasoning for not playing was different to that of injury.

We haven't had the greatest of starts and on occasions requested the help of the reserve team. In MY opinion i haven't had the support to which i think i should have. I have told Martin Mchugh and the committee of my feelings so this post won't come of any shock to them. Like most clubs, there will always be the odd issue or two but i am hoping we can, as a club, pull in the right direction.

The second team Manager and players should most certainly fully support first team in all ways. No likee get out!

In an ideal world fantastic idea but as I have previously stated, if you dont know the facts go and pick on another club, if you want to come and join our club you are more than welcome, either way if you havent got anything constructive to say chairman, go massage your ego.!!!

MQx

Martin is forever making excuses up. he should be making players available to the first team when needed. players playing in a secound team should always be wanting to push on and play higher. liskeard is a great club with good facilities. its not much to ask for is it a couple players to help out.

but liskeard aint the only club like it in cornwall

I think it's funny how people on here slag off or voice their opinion on other clubs when they know nothing about what's going on.

Surely the problems in hand at a club should be delt with, inside the club and not broadcasted over the net. That seems to be a common problem within football these days locally and professionally.

The 2nd team management should not be taking so much abuse, they were merely looking out for me, I personally said yes when I should of said no the day before knowing full well that I shouldn't of played due to an injury that I'm just coming back from, and not tried to please everyone by saying yes too eagerly to try and help out!

I have apologised to the 1st team for letting them down so late on in the day which I admit was the wrong choice but feel the blame shouldn't be put on the 2nd management! I can only apologise again!

Words and conversations can easily be taken the wrong way and be blown out of proportion! I think it's wrong to broadcast on here and blame people, problems at clubs should be kept in house and sorted between each other. I hope this can clear things up and can be the end of discussion on here and we can get back to playing the football instead of talking about it!

Mr mq this is a public forum where people give there opinions from there point of view.

Don't get so defensive as I was looking for peoples thoughts at all clubs not just liskeard. I think to sum it up though there are probably a few clubs that have little little or no progression between first and seconds shame really.

Martin is forever making excuses up. he should be making players available to the first team when needed. players playing in a secound team should always be wanting to push on and play higher. liskeard is a great club with good facilities. its not much to ask for is it a couple players to help out.

but liskeard aint the only club like it in cornwall

Not sure I`m "forever making excuses up" but you are entitled to your opinion.

Just for the record, I have NEVER stopped any player from playing at a higher level, I have NEVER told a player not to play unless an injury was the reason and my only consideration is getting as many players involved as possible.

Well I suppose we have had a rant and the people that need to sit and talk will do that but those of us who manage no only too well how difficult it is to juggle players. The problem will be resolved but as stated before it is not un-common.

End of subject for me now, thanks for your opinions, no offence meant and certainly none taken.

MQx

After speaking to a few players and Martin Burgess; the main problem is NOT the 2nd team manager; 2nd team players are not interested in playing for the 1st team.

They don't like the fact the 1st team have a Plymouth manager and Plymouth players; they also believe they are better than the 1st team players.

But Surely the 2nd team manager should say if you don't play for the 1st team then on your bike!! Simple as that!

Sounds like the 2nd team players or should I say local players are running the club!!

Grow some balls and test yourself against better players....East prem footy or South west prem footy!! Big fish in a small pond comes to mind!!

This is not a dig at the 2nd team manager by the way.. Just my thoughts

Without a shadow of a doubt there are a number of the Liskeard 2nds who would do well in their first team, several of them have played at Peninsula league level at Dobwalls but chose to step down to play with their local mates.

I personally feel that you should play at the highest level available to you but everyone has their own decision to make.

I suspect the decision to play or not as the case may be is down to the individual.

I doubt that many would be keen to travel to Falmouth for a midweek game to sit on the bench though?

This is not the fault of the 2nd team manager but an individuals choice?

most 2nd team managers are bitter there not 1st team managers and they like nothing more than to see the 1st team lose .As well as being local having plymouth players coming into your own home town club thats another bitter pill to swallow . The days are gone when 1st team and 2nd team dont get on and dont train together BOTH TEAMS NEED TO BE SINGING THE SAME SONG AND NOT DIFFERENT VERSIONS AND DIFFERENT WAYS ...Liskeard a f c great club be good if you guys can sort things down there .

Just a suggestion here, but leave general folk, players, supporters, and s**t stirrers to air their opinions on this forum and whilst they all do this, why don't MM and MB collaborate over "Club Affairs" behind closed doors? Why the need to state their differences or goings on at thier respective Club on here? Don't bite on the bait!!!