Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Ivybridge result Tues 18 Sept

Not on holiday yet, but will be missing the Plymouth Parkway (H) Penzance (A) Liverton Utd (H) & St Blazey (A) games in October.

Peppermints 0 v 3 Ivybridge - Match report deleted by the censors ! (although the comparisons between the officials of the EFC v NUFC Sky game and those at Mount Wise were made by those who saw both) Ivys first goal was a yard offside, the lino was told so by the vocal Nqy fans in the side terrace, the lad still did well to tuck it away.

Crisis, not yet... but civil unrest on the terraces is building amongst those who gave Ronaldo the night off. Defeat at Sticker in SWPL Cup 1 on Saturday will not be tolerated by many.

I think newquay have gone backwards from last season, mainly because of the players who have left and players being injured this season. Any team takes time to adjust to its new players and the new league they are playing in. Lewis hilton, dean harris, glen squires, reski, westgarth, robertson, rigby and hollow have all left for one reason or another and ludlam has been injured, arscott has missed a few games through work, trott has been out for a few games. Im sure there is more that i have missed. Kemp (who has been newquays best player this season) picked up a knock on saturday apparantly so never played last night. I think a top half/10 finish would be very satisfactory seeing as its their first season at this level and with all the disruptions to the squad! Im sure other people have higher expectations but you've got to set realistic goals. Give it a couple years and im sure newquay will be pushing near the top. We are not out of september yet so anything is still possible once they get a settled team, although bodmin are streets ahead of everyone else. Hopefully tavistock, parkway, saltash etc can push them closer this season now that buckland have moved up and fingers crossed, newquay!

I totally agree, the g are a side of young, local players, bar griffen who could easily hold thier own in the premier. My concern with newquay is that most of the squad are not local and will probably move on for an extra £5 or leave if glyn hooper leaves. This will leave the club having to turn to local players to get them out of the mire, again. Lets hope this doesn't happen in the forseeable future and the newquay youngsters can start forcing their way into the first team anyway. Newquay town is lucky in that it has two clubs in the top leagues, hopefully the g can make the step up aswell.

I totally agree, the g are a side of young, local players, bar griffen who could easily hold thier own in the premier. My concern with newquay is that most of the squad are not local and will probably move on for an extra £5 or leave if glyn hooper leaves. This will leave the club having to turn to local players to get them out of the mire, again. Lets hope this doesn't happen in the forseeable future and the newquay youngsters can start forcing their way into the first team anyway. Newquay town is lucky in that it has two clubs in the top leagues, hopefully the g can make the step up aswell.

I like the way people come on here claiming they can EASILY hold their own in the prem. Newquay absolutely romped the West division last season and turned up in the Prem full of confidence with their tails up. Didn't take long before the tail went between the legs!

It's been said a few times now. The difference in standard between the East/West division and the Prem is a lot greater than you may think!

Brooks was last seen in Turkey having a goddam awful time of it in one of Tripadvisors worst hotels ever. If he makes it back to the UK healthy, I hope he still wants to be a Peppermint, we love him.

Out of the list of players who have moved on, Lewis Hilton is ripping up the stats at Young Harris College in USA. Dean Harris had one last blow out last season and wanted to move up to management at Perranporth. Glen Squires wanted a starting role every game, no one gets that as a given. Reski is probably saving hard to catch Lee Bradd up in Sri Lanka. Westgarth was on the bench far too often for his liking last season. Robertson wanted to play with his mates at Goonhavern. Rigby was injured for most of last season, again just wants to play football on a regular basis. Hollow has quit football, full stop.

Jack Bray-Evans, Sam Trudgian & Cameron Bidgood have all made the step up to the SWPL Squad and have all played this season, there are 2 or 3 others who I would have no hesistation in throwing in when needed, but I'm not the manager, that's Hoops and as he rightly says, the transition period will take time. (thank god, my subutteo team would never forgive me if I left them). A lot of players are also at University, which is a good thing for them but does disrupt the reserves a hell of a lot.

We have had injuries from day one, Blackler, Machin, Trott, Ludlam, Farrant and others have missed games. We also have those who have to work on occasions, any side would miss Hampshire and Arscott, we are only in Sept. The squad when all fit and able to play are a match for the better sides in the Prem, St Austell went route one to win, we turned over what appears to be a good Blazey side but struggled against the bottom two.

The difference between East / West and the Prem is vast, there are only two sides currently in the West with any hope of matching a mid-table Prem side, G & Helston and both would find the step too far at this stage in their progress. As for budgets, even G are paying these days (according to various sources), not the old beer voucher system but actual cash for points. Helston paid as a Combo side so any budget they have would not be a shock, they also have two hot shot strikers who any Prem side would love to have.

A lot of disappointed fans at the club at the moment but we have to look deeper than that. We have 4 mens sides, the 2 Trelawny sides are unbeaten so far, the youth policy is clearly working long term. We have 20+ kids / youth sides, the ethos being, you play for Newquay AFC from age 5 until adulthood.

Newquay have the infrastructure to be the biggest non-league club this side of Bristol, but not at any cost. The Chairman wants the club to go as far as it can afford, no bank busting at Mount Wise Stadium, guaranteed.

One swallow does not make a summer (although does make a great potential girlfriend)

I watched the game last night and I thought Newquay played very well against an excellent Ivybridge side. I was extremely impressed with the Ivybridge work ethic, skill and fitness. They broke with real pace and in Mike Scott up front had the outstanding player on the night. It could have been very different if Luke Weldhen's superb header had gone in instead of hitting the under side of the bar or if Danny Zallick's shot had not been expertly tipped over the bar by the Ivy keeper. On that showing I expect Ivybrdge to rise up the League Table very quickly indeed. It was a very good game to watch played with a real good tempo. If Newquay continue to play like that and have a little bit of luck then they will be absolutely fine this season.

Couldnt get to the game last night but by all accounts it was a very good ivybridge performance full of pace and determination.A result like this was on the cards with all the chances they have been creating and hopefully it will be a turning point to rising up the table.any other good individual performances jimbo?