Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Results - Sat Sept 15th 2012

Club man mate :c:

I am a clubman too. Reliable. The last season I "played" for Gulval, turned up every week when I could, which was most weeks, even texted that I would be unavailable when my daughter was born on a Friday, and the 2 following weeks when she was kept in hospital. Let everyone know when I was and was not available. Spent most of the year running the line, many-a-time for 90 mins, and was the only player in the last game of the season down at Mousehole, the cup final, for both teams, that did not get on the pitch.

LOL I hear you loud & clear Mangle mate, and You're only too aware that I too have had my moments of being harshly treated at Gulval aswell mate. I was just responding to Mr Adams (Postman Pat) after the wise cracking OLD bugger commented on me being a "speedy winger" lol.. He knows I was implying that I, like you did, will play anywhere I'm asked to play, and for whichever team wants me play. You know I love this little club though Mangle mate, and I've not been there for 15 years for some jumped up little so & so to come on here to criticise it and belittle it. You're aware that Gulval most certainly don't just cancel games for the sake of it, and it's an extreme last resort, afterall, you played with us for many a year and how many games do you remember us cancelling for anything other than a VERY waterlogged pitch?

That aside mate, hope you're well, and the family is keeping well too. Nice to see you were happy with your result at the weekend too mate. Are you getting game time?

I am very aware that Gulval do not call games off very often at all. On more than one occasion, we were one of only two or three clubs in Cornwall to play a game. On one famous occasion, we were THE only game on in Cornwall (I have the Radio Cornwall cassette recording (Tommy Matthews match report) to prove it!! A 10-1 win over Illogan, at St. Clare, 5 for Les Stone and a Tufty Hattrick. BANG!

Yes, get playing time mate. Would you believe that Newlyn NA have this weird philosophy that the two managers co-operate with each other, communicate, and subs one week get games next week. How mental is that. Everyone's happy!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a clubman too. Reliable. The last season I "played" for Gulval, turned up every week when I could, which was most weeks, even texted that I would be unavailable when my daughter was born on a Friday, and the 2 following weeks when she was kept in hospital. Let everyone know when I was and was not available. Spent most of the year running the line, many-a-time for 90 mins, and was the only player in the last game of the season down at Mousehole, the cup final, for both teams, that did not get on the pitch.

The manager aint gonna please everyone!

You said it Rob. However, funny how the unreliable players, the occasional turn-up-and-play guys, are kept happiest of all !!

Coopsie mate according to ccfa rules your club got it spot on.

ie Your first team must come first,and so they had to take from your reserves that is why they are called "reserves" reserves to the first team.

Secondly if your first team played with only ten men as sugested in previous posts you actually would have broke another rule ie "that a club must field it's strongest side" playing with ten men when another player was available would have contravened this too.

Wrong !!!!

The manager aint gonna please everyone!

You said it Rob. However, funny how the unreliable players, the occasional turn-up-and-play guys, are kept happiest of all !!

Im sorry you feel that way mangle :(

I don't feel that way, it happened, I witnessed it. But, nothing new, and it happens frequently. Don't worry, I am not holding a grudge, and every manager, every club (unless they have the bear 11) has to make an unpopular decision each week. And they get no thanks for it. There is often going to be a problem when you get an ageing player, past his best, which wasn't that great anyway, up against others who are younger, fitter, better. The dilema is longevity, the younger, fitter, better player can be unreliable, and short lived at the club. If the older, slower, less good but reliable player leaves, double whammy hits when the youngster b.uggers off too! Well, hopefully you get the gist.

Up the Gulval :)

Thanks to those guys above who made the nice comments, it's appreciated & I'm glad you were able to comprehend that I was just attempting to stop the belittling of my club.

Mangle I'm glad you are enjoying your footy again mate, it's a wonderful feeling isn't it :).. I am once again enjoying my footy mate, the last couple of seasons have been great fun, and to find myself 'doing a job' in the 1st team again is a welcome surprise. How long will it last, who knows? All I know is I'm grateful to be at a great little club with some great people within it.

Mr Eddy, I only use christian names young man, though I do understand you thinking I was using your christian name as your surname. I've never once pretended to be anything even close to resembling intelligent ;)

Mooner - It doesn't matter what I've said to you. It's not made the slightest bit of difference, and you've been completely unable to get your point across without feeling the need to resort to put-downs & insults. That is a shame, afterall, nobody has felt the need to do that to you. Still, you have the right to voice your opinion, that's the beauty of being an individual, so fair play to you..

Stay safe everybody, maybe I'll return for another defence of my club in the future. It's been emotional :thumbsup: :smiley20: