Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Results - Sat Sept 8th 2012

Cornish ref I m sure you are quite correct but my intention is not to pee them off but give an honest opinion. I'm sure you will say yes now but have you ever switched linos to do the opposite teams it was silly and be told that he will make the offside decisions, what then was there roles as he stated he would give fouls etc . As for shopping ur having a laugh, that's down right disgusting

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornish ref I m sure you are quite correct but my intention is not to pee them off but give an honest opinion. I'm sure you will say yes now but have you ever switched linos to do the opposite teams it was silly and be told that he will make the offside decisions, what then was there roles as he stated he would give fouls etc . As for shopping ur having a laugh, that's down right disgusting

In reply to you first point - no I personally wouldn't do that.

As for shopping - this season games canceled due to NO referee's available to fulfil fixtures.......... if shopping is not your past time, then something else maybe :) honest opinons are completely valid, but my point is, how is this going to assist in recruiting new referee's to the game?

Guest BenTheYeti

Division 2

Halsetown Reserves 3 - 4 Frogpool

If I may start with a quote from the bible;

Mark 3:16

"And let it be told, there will cometh a day, in the wastelands of St Ives Rugby Club, when the sun shalt shine. and the wind will cease to blow"

Ladies and Gentleman, that day was yesterday.

Having managed to cobble a team together about 16 seconds before kick off, the Halsetown regulars were clearly overcome by the benign conditions, this being confirmed when the whole of the defensive line trudged up onto the pitch carrying windbreaks.

Despite the biblical conditions, Frogpool started the game on the front foot and at a good tempo, creating a couple of good early chances which were parried by that bloke between the sticks (who, after last week's escapades at left wing in Penryn, felt like hanging a "Home Sweet Home" banner on the goalpost). However, 'Pool weren't to be denied, and a good passing move led to a shot that would have struggled to beat a snail to the goal line. This, for some reason, gave the Halsetown keeper the impression he had time to pull out a deckchair and enjoy the sunshine before trying to save the "onrushing" ball... 1-0 to Frogpool.

This led the Halsetown outfield players to believe that they better score some goals, as their keeper had clearly just had a stroke, After a marauding run by Alex "carrying the wife's pregnancy weight" Bonner had set the tone, 'Town equalised after some neat interplay led to Steve "Scouse" Stone rolling back the years (to about 1908) with a deft right foot flick into the far corner.

With their tails up, Halsetown suddenly seemed able to pass the ball to each other, and even more miraculously, Lawrence Kennedy, obviously lost as he was more than 30 yards away from the opposition goal, found the ball at his feet and somehow played a perfect through ball to Mr Stone to skip round the keeper and make it 2-1.. Lawrence promptly needed a lie down.

HT 2-1

A half time team talk of "keep it up lads, you're doing well, keep it tight and the ball on the deck" clearly translated into Cornish as "let Frogpool come marching through as often as they want" as the men in grey came pouring forward and score 3 goals in 15 minutes. The first a good header from a corner which found a way into the corner via a touch from him with the gloves, the other two from attacks that looked like the Berlin wall coming down, such was the number of grey shirts piling forward and queuing up to score (both good, low finishes into either side I should add).

At this point, Halsetown usually like to completely implode, but, within 0.7 seconds of the 8th kick off, Sir Bonner (who had clearly managed to smuggle some tobacco into his sock at half time, such was his will to cover parts of the pitch he rarely visits these days) had a glorious chance, only to see his toe poke clip the outside of the post.

Frogpool could still smell blood though, and numerous pacey attacks led to a couple of decent saves by the Yeti, and some Ronny Rosenthal-esque misses. So, somewhat against the run of play, Halsetown pulled one back. Gareth Clifton-Dey, with a left foot that is usually more accurate than a Tomahawk missle, called a long pass to the right winger. This made the Frogpool defence ready to defend that side of the pitch, only to see Gareth expertly slice the ball 35 yards in the other direction and into the path of The Cat, who, with a compass strapped to his wrist, managed to run in the right direction, round the keeper and slot home.

Both teams had chances to either rescue a point or put the game to bed, notably a great save from the 'Pool keeper when Bonner found himself in nose bleed territory and one on one, but 4-3 to the away team it finished. At the end of the day (and as you can tell by the novel that I've just written here), a great game, and a deserved win in the end for Frogpool.

Had a relatively new ref to the scene in Matt Hickmott, and he had a great game, though he wouldn't have had an easier game to ref if he'd have been at an inter-squad pre-season kickabout, such was the good nature of the afternoon from both teams.

Although a loss for us, positives to take from the game, especially with 6 players playing for the first time this season

Hopefully for all of you, we'll be involved in a nice boring 0-0 next week and you won't need your reading glasses

Marksy, switching assistants is not new, up country I have known it done, I have tried it once (never again) it certainly reduces the offside flags and as a referee you do what you are happy with eg up north the assistants only give ball in and out of play no offsides that is the norm, again I always inform my assistants that fouls on the field are all mine. So that referee was not doing strange things, perhaps it`s just not seen down here.

Trelawny Div 4

Carharrack Res 0 (0) - (2) 4 Wendron 4th

Its always nice doing a write up when you win, but when u lose its not so nice. Having watched Wendron on the monday night this was a very much changed side, and this showed in there performance this weekend. Wendron took the lead after a foul on the touchline and the resulting freekick was headed in from 9 yards. The game was a middle of the park battle which wendron was winning and they double there lead through a corner that was punched clear but put back in the box and slotted into the bottom corner. The score stayed the same until halftime with Carharrack unable to convert any of the chances that they did create in the half,

The 2nd half started well for Carharrack but yet again they were unable to put any of the chances they created away. Wendron then got a 3rd and this came from a freekick just inside the carharrack half that was launched into the box that went over everybodys heads and then had a major bounce over the keeper and dipping under the bar to make it 3-0. Things got worse for Carharrack when after using both subs to try and change the game centre back Onslow got injured and left the pitch leaving the home side with ten men for 35 minutes. The home side did well but Wendron got a 4th after an overlap down the right left a player unmarked who slotted the ball into the net. Carharrack did create chances but non were taken. Wendron took there chances which was the difference in the game.

Well done to wendron. shame not 1 player made it back to the club due to apprently the whole squad played cricket and had a presentation evening.

Tough game next week against Redruth Athletic so hard training session on shooting i think is in order.

Bluevanman still living in the past i see, time to let it go mate i think, no one from athletic was moaning about the ref, the boys lost and that was it, didnt come on here moaning like a child who had his sweets stolen, time to pick your dummy up and act like a man and just let your feet do the talking and try and win the league

Here fishy fishy fishy! We've got a biter! )

Helston 3rds 19 Clipper Bar 0

Perhaps it was the new "warm up" shirts that helped them

Or the second team players helston used???

no second team players used my friend, 2 lads on the bench that have been on the bench for the seconds for one of their games

Meaning what exactly?

I gave Ben a load of shirts for the team, maybe he forgot to take them or was waiting to get "helston 3rds" printed on them

Meaning what exactly?

I gave Ben a load of shirts for the team, maybe he forgot to take them or was waiting to get "helston 3rds" printed on them

waiting for printing!

no second team players used my friend, 2 lads on the bench that have been on the bench for the seconds for one of their games

Fair enough, someone from clipper said u played 6/7

Yeah i thought i would bite for you, fancied a bit of a laugh, bit bored on a sunday! All in jest mate, have a good season, you boys will be up there with athletic (im not playing there anymore, just keeping an eye on the boys) and who ever else might go on a run towards the title!

Div 2 - Culdrose res 3 - Storm 1

First game of the season for Culdrose, which they won by playing football on the ground on a very tidy surface. Storm are a decent side who never gave up and played some good football when Culdrose were tiring. Thanks to the player in the first half helping us out too doing us the line, very honest! Well referee'd too.

Really enjoyed today's game and we at storm always felt like we were in it. Just shows u can't give away sloppy goals and we gave 2. The game was played in good spirits and great hospitality shown by the culdrose boys after one of the most enjoyable Saturday afternoons I've had in a while and we will hope to show you boys the same hospitality when you come to us

In terms of the game I thought we (Storm) created enough and played well enough to get one if not all of the points. On the reverse side: I could same the exact same thing for Culdrose who worked the ball well and have some players that keep the game simple and looked very good. One thing I would say, and this is a massive compliment, is that I haven't played against such a sporting team in a very long time. Each team you play has their token 'whinger' and unfortunately you get some that are genrally arrogant and rude as a whole... but this is not the case at Culdrose. One of our spectators caused a fuss on the sideline to which a row followed and resulted in him being asked to leave... to which the players on the filed reacted superbly!

Fitness is getting there for some of our more technical players (4 games played now) but the price to pay for that is a pandemic of blisters within the team. I suggest that a few of us aren't used to running so much these days. New boots are always a bugger too!

After the game we spent quite a while in the bar with some of the Culdrose lads, and I would like to think that we will visit them again sometime without our cars and make a real night of it. We have already said that the next time we are away in the Helston area we will get a minibus and stop for a few shandy's on the way back.

Well done to Culdrose and good luck to them for the season. Thanks for the hospitality and for an entertaining day all round.

i realize i may get a bit of stick for this and ppl may think i am "marazion bashing" but i have been following the post on marazion 2nd's etc... i am sorry for bringing this whole subject again and dont mean too offend ne1.. however i am curious, now that marazion 1st's have lost the last couple of games does this mean that maybe some of the stronger and more in form players are going to get a call up to the 1st team and maybe not as such the weaker players of the 1st team but perhaps the one's not in form or aren't giving as much effort as they should be get dropped to the seconds. personally i'm focused on my own team and season but at the same time am a firm believer in if you are the one shining in the second team you should be promoted and if you are being lazy or just not having a great time in the 1st team you should be demoted to prove you are worthy of a 1st team position... i agree football is about fun and playing with your mates (especially this level) but what about getting the best out of your abilities?? i know a couple of players who squandered the chance too play top level football and the way i see it is that if i had that opportunity myself i would never let go... again i apologize if i have offended anyone but i felt i had to give my opinion over the whole matter.. peace x

i realize i may get a bit of stick for this and ppl may think i am "marazion bashing" but i have been following the post on marazion 2nd's etc... i am sorry for bringing this whole subject again and dont mean too offend ne1.. however i am curious, now that marazion 1st's have lost the last couple of games does this mean that maybe some of the stronger and more in form players are going to get a call up to the 1st team and maybe not as such the weaker players of the 1st team but perhaps the one's not in form or aren't giving as much effort as they should be get dropped to the seconds. personally i'm focused on my own team and season but at the same time am a firm believer in if you are the one shining in the second team you should be promoted and if you are being lazy or just not having a great time in the 1st team you should be demoted to prove you are worthy of a 1st team position... i agree football is about fun and playing with your mates (especially this level) but what about getting the best out of your abilities?? i know a couple of players who squandered the chance too play top level football and the way i see it is that if i had that opportunity myself i would never let go... again i apologize if i have offended anyone but i felt i had to give my opinion over the whole matter.. peace x

Played for Newquay against Marizion on sat and speaking to one of their lads there where a few from the seconds playing, wouldn't be able to tell you which players they where, don't really care either, not meaning to sound harsh.

Guest BenTheYeti

Nice to see perranporth res pushing for the title....

I don't think the opening fixtures of Helston, West Cornwall and Halsetown (obviously biased but we're hoping to be strong this season, especially with a slightly changed front line that got 7 between them yesterday) would be top of anyone's preferred fixtures in Division 1 to be honest..

Marksy, switching assistants is not new, up country I have known it done, I have tried it once (never again) it certainly reduces the offside flags and as a referee you do what you are happy with eg up north the assistants only give ball in and out of play no offsides that is the norm, again I always inform my assistants that fouls on the field are all mine. So that referee was not doing strange things, perhaps it`s just not seen down here.

I agree with your comments B Manning. Having played and refereed in a London league. It's actually normal for the match official not to use linesman and make offside decisions himself.

I agree with your comments B Manning. Having played and refereed in a London league. It's actually normal for the match official not to use linesman and make offside decisions himself.

Ridiculous, not either of your comments by the way, just the fact that referee’s have an ‘assistant’, there to assist in decisions such as fouls, offsides etc, and they don’t use them is beyond belief when there are teams out there struggling to get 11 together for a Saturday, let alone telling one unlucky lad, “your on the bench buddy, you also have to hold that flag, for no real reason except its in the rules that you need one”……!! I know some might say he’s only an assistant, so just there to assist, not actually make decisions, but whats the point in having him if the ref doesn’t respect his decision? I have seen some poor ‘over rulings’ by the ref, when he considers he has had a better view than the assistant (sub!), I have also seen some great decisions by referee’s over ruling assistants when they are genuinely in the wrong, but what I cant see is why any referee would purely ask a lino to just give throw ins, if the helps there, use it!!! If this is the case in London Rich whats the point in having those assistants in European games on the deadball line? Absolute waste of time and money, I don’t think I saw one of them give a pen this summer, even though there was a shed load of not pulling of the shirt, but most of the time it was GBH!!!!

All I am saying is that in my experience some referee’s have ignored the assistants efforts to help them, due to them assuming the assistant is just a sub, therefore just do the easy stuff like throwings and leave the big decisions to me, when the assistant could be someone who has been around the block a bit or someone who is very knowledgeable of the game, or even a qualified ref themselves! The referee’s have a tough time of things on a Saturday afternoon, and do a cracking job, but put a little faith in the assistants at times, and who knows you may even encourage a few to hang up their boots and take on refereeing at some point……..

thejman, I am sorry you do not seem to believe my comments, but it remains that they are fact, because you do not see it happen in Cornwall does not mean it does not happen. Also I do not know of any referee who ignores his club assistants, he will give them his instructions before the match and that is their remit for the game, to another point I often run a club line for a team and I only give the referee what he has instructed and that is a lot less than a neutral assistant, he treats me as a club assistant. Remember an assistant is there to assist he does that by carrying out his prematch instructions and these vary between referee`s, also all decisions are the referee`s and if he decides to not act on an assistants flag then that is his choice. If I think it necessary during a match I will acknowledge the flag and play on if I think it`s the correct decision, I always tell my assistants not to worry if I over rule them. it just means I have seen something different.

perhaps it would of been better that our ref on sat told us you can have a lino but he will only tell me if the ball is out for a throw in. Also you dont like refs to get stick (in general not your words rich) but your clearly stating what happened at our game on saturday about the london refereeing part and how they dont like to use linesman. this guy was at no point going to keep up with the ball so how can he give a fair assesment of offside.

I know, exactly how he did it, with attitude and my way or bugger off. he commented to a spectator of which we have 1 when its not raining ( is this it, its hardly wembley) perhaps if we have him again i will get him a nice shiny

red seat and a hot dog stand. b manning you make valid points of which i have no arguments but some refs make a rod for there own back and he did that on saturday. Little things like at the end i said thanks ref in my opinion dont think you were consistent in how you reffed today, for example a drinks break in the first half but not bothering in the second at all ,also, at which point he decided to walk off, i said im not being rude ref just explaining that what ive seen, to which point he started talking to other players, i then said how much do i owe you ref, he said the fee is 18 and erm call it 25. i said where have you come from today. he replied london, i said where have you come from today . he replied call it 25. I then said i will sort it back cricket club for you , he said im not going back my wifes watching the cricket , i said what about the team sheet . He replied you should have given that to me before the game :wacko: no doubt thats a london thing as well, perhaps if it is maybe before he refs he should find out how its peformed down here. Or are we at fault for that as well. And you wonder why we moan about some refs. You are not all the same and we have good refs. I dont want to see a shortage of refs i would not want a ref to not do our game but to not be able to voice your opinion on them or say what you feel, you have to like any player how would they improve otherwise, and i dont mean by saying bloody hell ref you numpty your crap.

We lay food on for our away team and the ref of course but we couldnt get him to hang around as hed left his wife baking in the sunshine at the cricket club. one step in 25 quid handed over and back no doubt to his holiday of where ever 3.50 one way takes you back to in sunny cornwall, hope the grass was as green as wembley, although its not always greener on the other side right :D

So for making my thoughts on a forum as others do clear, we have a shortage of refs. ??? Is that your point? Hence bring in the london possy? We have always been short of refs down here. As manager of another side when i started out i believe the fee was £8 not much for a bit of stick on a saturday afternoon. Now with travelling expenses not many refs charge under £25.00 a lot are nearer ,£35.00 . if you ref on a sunday you can pick up £50-£70 tax free. The point im making is, that does not warrant them having more abuse for more money etc. i just think for what they charge the clubs should receive a referee who should let the game flow if possible and step up to the mark if & when needed & most importantly remember its for the satisfaction of 23 people on the pitch and those who watch. The odd ref is sometimes below par just like players, no harm in the right manner telling him so. Im not going to start naming refs but i could put a whole list who i would happily have every week win or lose, and all for different reasons, because one lets it flow the other talks loudly and explains why he did this or that, another few say from the start we will do this and that and your comfortable and at ease from the off, knowing that yeh maybe he will make the wrong call or decision but thats human nature? However when he turns up in his own little bubble, or as little hitler, from the off you find yourself calling your team in quickly asking them not to do this or say that, and i dont mean to the ref but in general because you dont know what hes capable of. W e will never agree to disagree Mr.M as you are for the refs and i am a manager (who has know ref gripe week in week out) but think sometimes it should be said. Im sure if you look back at my posts i do praise refs as well :)

MARKSY, No the only point I am making is that it is the shortage of ref`s that meant you had a referee from London who offered his services, I make no comment at all as to your opinions of referee`s, I can only say that the abilities of all referee`s are different exactly the same as all players differ in abilitiy, Also I am not for the ref`s, I have seen referee`s who as with some players are in my humble opinion poor, but I never make any comments on this forum to that end. I hope to meet up with you sometime and I look forward to that.

PS Are you with Falmouth Athletic res?. if so we met recently.

thejman, I am sorry you do not seem to believe my comments, but it remains that they are fact, because you do not see it happen in Cornwall does not mean it does not happen. Also I do not know of any referee who ignores his club assistants, he will give them his instructions before the match and that is their remit for the game, to another point I often run a club line for a team and I only give the referee what he has instructed and that is a lot less than a neutral assistant, he treats me as a club assistant. Remember an assistant is there to assist he does that by carrying out his prematch instructions and these vary between referee`s, also all decisions are the referee`s and if he decides to not act on an assistants flag then that is his choice. If I think it necessary during a match I will acknowledge the flag and play on if I think it`s the correct decision, I always tell my assistants not to worry if I over rule them. it just means I have seen something different.

i think you'll find i didnt say this, i did say "Ridiculous, not either of your comments by the way"......

why do referee's give "instructions".....surly they should just have a brief chat with them thanking them for running the line, the brief should be, stick to the rules lads, have a good game, end of, not telling them to only give this, and not to give that, just give what you see, stick by your guns, I’ll accept your decision as will the players accept yours and mine, that way you’ll have no confusion week to week, where as currently one ref will be happy to do this, another will not want anything except throw ins! We had a ref the other day who only wanted to play 40 mins each way in an evening game, he was concerned about the light, I was starting my team talk at 1820 (1830ko), when he came into the changing rooms and told us ‘outside now lads we need to get going’, I asked him for another couple of mins as I hadn’t even named the starting line up yet, he replied ‘no now lads we need to start the game as soon as possible’, I shut the door in his face, maybe a bit rude on my behalf, but the referee should not put a team in a position where they are not fully ready for the game ahead, he then told me as we were walking out we was only doing 40 mins each way due to light, I asked him why couldn’t we start the game as normal by doing 45 mins and if in the 2nd half it was looking dull we could then do 40, if not, continue as normal, he said no, its going to be dark long before then, we played the game, finished after 80 mins, players warmed down, chatted outside about the game, and it was still light, and playable! aside from this, during the game when substitutions were to be made by both sides, the ref demanded the players wait on the halfway line until he ran the width of the pitch to tick their name off and check their studs, surly common sense should prevail, after all his common sense had already made the decision to cut the game down to 40mins as he was concerned about the light so why not just get the subs on…….???!!!

I’m not starting a mini row with you B Manning as I know how much hard work you can be, I’m just having my penny….

Thanks MARKSY, hope to catch up with you someday it will be good to meet, thejman, where have you been all these years , referee`s have always given instructions to assistants albeit club or neutral, As to subs being made , thats how some referee`s do it, I have to admit it`s something I do not do as I work on the premise that I need my energy for the match not to keep running to the touchline I can handle that wherever I am. Also to match times you show your limited knowledge I am afraid, a game MUST consist of two equal halves therefore if the ref does 45 mins first then that is also the time for the second half.anything less does not constitute a game.also If I was concerned about the light I would have acted in the same way ie, start as soon as possible, short half time and 40mins each way plus no injury time added.

Thanks MARKSY, hope to catch up with you someday it will be good to meet, thejman, where have you been all these years , referee`s have always given instructions to assistants albeit club or neutral, As to subs being made , thats how some referee`s do it, I have to admit it`s something I do not do as I work on the premise that I need my energy for the match not to keep running to the touchline I can handle that wherever I am. Also to match times you show your limited knowledge I am afraid, a game MUST consist of two equal halves therefore if the ref does 45 mins first then that is also the time for the second half.anything less does not constitute a game.also If I was concerned about the light I would have acted in the same way ie, start as soon as possible, short half time and 40mins each way plus no injury time added.

I am fully aware of that rule I was just suggesting that he use a little common sense and see how it goes rather than needlessly lose valuable game time, again inconsistency is the point here, your saying a game MUST consist of two equal half’s, quite right, a rule, adhered too, yet substitutes MUST enter the field of play from the halfway line, yet you tend not to do this…….are you unaware of this rule? Your lack of knowledge on subs has me slightly worried as I thought the word ‘MUST’ was final…….no room for manoeuvring? do managers give the subs names in before the warm up? before ko? teamsheets handed in before or after games? coloured tape matching the socks or not? book a player for deliberately preventing a quick free kick taking place? subs sat down or not fussed? cycling shorts to match shorts or not? just some of the many rules i have witnessed over the last season or so all of which have had different outcomes, every ref should stick to the rules, and thats on and off the pitch, at the minute its too inconsistent. and before you say refs make as many mistakes as players, or its not up the the refs to ensure these things happen, it is, that is the role they have chosen to take on, for some extra cash in the pocket, as in any job you need to meet requirements, and standards, if not, you get a good old fashioned bollocking, and so on, this isn’t happening enough and i feel games, mistakes, rules are just slipping by, until the seasons over and then it'll all start again.

I am fully aware of that rule I was just suggesting that he use a little common sense and see how it goes rather than needlessly lose valuable game time, again inconsistency is the point here, your saying a game MUST consist of two equal half’s, quite right, a rule, adhered too, yet substitutes MUST enter the field of play from the halfway line, yet you tend not to do this…….are you unaware of this rule? Your lack of knowledge on subs has me slightly worried as I thought the word ‘MUST’ was final…….no room for manoeuvring? do managers give the subs names in before the warm up? before ko? teamsheets handed in before or after games? coloured tape matching the socks or not? book a player for deliberately preventing a quick free kick taking place? subs sat down or not fussed? cycling shorts to match shorts or not? just some of the many rules i have witnessed over the last season or so all of which have had different outcomes, every ref should stick to the rules, and thats on and off the pitch, at the minute its too inconsistent. and before you say refs make as many mistakes as players, or its not up the the refs to ensure these things happen, it is, that is the role they have chosen to take on, for some extra cash in the pocket, as in any job you need to meet requirements, and standards, if not, you get a good old fashioned bollocking, and so on, this isn’t happening enough and i feel games, mistakes, rules are just slipping by, until the seasons over and then it'll all start again.

thejman - the points you make are extremely valid and correct. As a referee inconsistency is the biggest argument caused at matches these days. Different referee's do their own things pre / during / post matches as without finding an excuse (which this is not meant to be in any way) due to being set in their own ways.

In my opinion there are a couple of things that could resolve this:

1. All teams / players fully understanding the laws of the game - some do but many don't.

2. The Junior leagues outlining the specific requirements of the referee in addition to Law 5 (Roles of the Referee) - In the SWPL there are guidelines that all referee's must follow for pre / during / post matches, team sheets are provided 45 mins prior to the match start, club assistants/linesman are provided and qualified.

3. Fitness assessments for referee's appointed for junior football - but this would likely lead to a large reduction in the number of available referee's.

I understand with point 2 that the SWPL is a league in the pyramid structure so it will be more advanced / financially backed that junior football, but simple changes by the league could improve things. Again this is not an excuse, I am just looking at suggesting a couple of things that could remove some of the issues.

thejman - the points you make are extremely valid and correct. As a referee inconsistency is the biggest argument caused at matches these days. Different referee's do their own things pre / during / post matches as without finding an excuse (which this is not meant to be in any way) due to being set in their own ways.

1. All teams / players fully understanding the laws of the game - some do but many don't.

2. The Junior leagues outlining the specific requirements of the referee in addition to Law 5 (Roles of the Referee) - In the SWPL there are guidelines that all referee's must follow for pre / during / post matches, team sheets are provided 45 mins prior to the match start, club assistants/linesman are provided and qualified.

3. Fitness assessments for referee's appointed for junior football - but this would likely lead to a large reduction in the number of available referee's.

I understand with point 2 that the SWPL is a league in the pyramid structure so it will be more advanced / financially backed that junior football, but simple changes by the league could improve things. Again this is not an excuse, I am just looking at suggesting a couple of things that could remove some of the issues.

agree with all of this, its strange to see so many players from all standards not understanding the basics in a game, and then have the nerve to have a dig at the ref over them!!! lol

agree with all of this, its strange to see so many players from all standards not understanding the basics in a game, and then have the nerve to have a dig at the ref over them!!! lol

I agree with that :thumbsup:

Guest tractor boys

after giving up being a ref at level 5 and took up running the line for st just ,at one game one ref said give him very thing and at another game ref said just offsides and thow ins ,when i was refereeing i would say to linesmen(combo ) to give me throw ins offsides and free kicks on my blind side any thing else leave to me.in junior leagues i would say to them only offsides and throw ins

the trouble with being a junior league referee is that you have to judge very quickly how capable your assistant will be.normally if you have not had any experience of them you can tell during your prematch talk,also were they take up their position before kickoff.then if in doubt you have to position yourself to confirm their descision making ohh and ref the game.

but then most refs only do it for the money :wacko::P :D

the trouble with being a junior league referee is that you have to judge very quickly how capable your assistant will be.normally if you have not had any experience of them you can tell during your prematch talk,also were they take up their position before kickoff.then if in doubt you have to position yourself to confirm their descision making ohh and ref the game.

but then most refs only do it for the money :wacko::P:D

funny that - i usually judge how good a referee is by how far he moves from the centre spot

after giving up being a ref at level 5 and took up running the line for st just ,at one game one ref said give him very thing and at another game ref said just offsides and thow ins ,when i was refereeing i would say to linesmen(combo ) to give me throw ins offsides and free kicks on my blind side any thing else leave to me.in junior leagues i would say to them only offsides and throw ins

Why do you automatically assume that someone who is the the junior leagues is any less of an assistant than one from the senior leagues? Does being connected to a senior side magically give you super powers or something. Surely if you have done the 20 minute stretched into 3 hours assistants course then that should count for something - personally i do not know of a referee who has ever asked or for that matter even cares!!

le boss, you do not automatically assume anything that`s why you issue instructions to the assistant to follow. In fact my instructions to all club assistants are exactly the same whether Trelawny/ Duchy/ Combo or ECPL, I do not differentiate. They do not always follow my instructions but that`s life.

Cant wait........

The decline in the number of referee's will continue until players, managers and spectators learn that it is not permissable to abuse said officials. The abuse merely mirrors the society we live in, lack of personal control and lack of respect for others seems to be the norm now. Very disapointing.

Referee's from my era, of which there were plenty, did not do it for the money and I do not believe they do now either. The trend WILL continue as referee's get worn down by it all.