Cornwall Football Forum

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing that earlier this evening I tended my resignation as 1st Team Manager (and Vice Chairman) at Bere Alston United with immediate effect after almost five years in the post.

My wife, Michele, who was recently appointed as Club Secretary in addition to her role as Treasurer (and Admin Secretary) has also left the club.

I informed my Chairman, Will Westlake, prior to training this evening and then told the players moments later.

It's a sad day for both Michele and I as we have put so much into the club over the past four or five years, not least the campaign to get the much needed dugouts at the ground, which was recently given Planning Consent and just awaits the builders to get them installed.

There have been plenty of good players come and go in my time at Bere but unfortunately we were always one or two short of making a real challenge for honours in the ECPL and that more than anything has been really disappointing.

In truth the players have by and large underperformed and underachieved as I know they were well capable of competing with the best teams in the League, plus some have not shown the same commitment to the club as myself and as manager I'll take my share of the blame for that.

The old adage that 'I've taken the club as far as I can' is a well used phrase in these circumstances but I believe it is very apt in this case.

There were one or two things going on behind the scenes that I was not entirely happy with and come the end I have to say I wasn't enjoying it as much.

I think that the players and the club in general will miss Michele a lot more than me.....she did everything from balancing the books to washing the kit, doing the refreshments and driving the minibus on the jolly boys outings.

It's gonna be pretty strange not having football on a Saturday but I'm not one for shopping so we'll either make good use of our Liverpool Membership or I'll be back coaching somewhere in the future.

Suffice to say I'd like to thank all the players I've worked with at the club and on behalf of Michele and myself wish them all the best for the rest of the season and the future.

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing that earlier this evening I tended my resignation as 1st Team Manager (and Vice Chairman) at Bere Alston United with immediate effect after almost five years in the post.

My wife, Michele, who was recently appointed as Club Secretary in addition to her role as Treasurer (and Admin Secretary) has also left the club.

I informed my Chairman, Will Westlake, prior to training this evening and then told the players moments later.

It's a sad day for both Michele and I as we have put so much into the club over the past four or five years, not least the campaign to get the much needed dugouts at the ground, which was recently given Planning Consent and just awaits the builders to get them installed.

There have been plenty of good players come and go in my time at Bere but unfortunately we were always one or two short of making a real challenge for honours in the ECPL and that more than anything has been really disappointing.

In truth the players have by and large underperformed and underachieved as I know they were well capable of competing with the best teams in the League, plus some have not shown the same commitment to the club as myself and as manager I'll take my share of the blame for that.

The old adage that 'I've taken the club as far as I can' is a well used phrase in these circumstances but I believe it is very apt in this case.

There were one or two things going on behind the scenes that I was not entirely happy with and come the end I have to say I wasn't enjoying it as much.

I think that the players and the club in general will miss Michele a lot more than me.....she did everything from balancing the books to washing the kit, doing the refreshments and driving the minibus on the jolly boys outings.

It's gonna be pretty strange not having football on a Saturday but I'm not one for shopping so we'll either make good use of our Liverpool Membership or I'll be back coaching somewhere in the future.

Suffice to say I'd like to thank all the players I've worked with at the club and on behalf of Michele and myself wish them all the best for the rest of the season and the future.

Sorry to hear that Kev, best of luck whatever you do and no dout you will be back with another club soon

• 1 month later...

Hi Kev, can you give Al Johns a ring.