Cornwall Football Forum

Players Status

During the close season, and clubs are building squads, surely its not fair on Managers or Secretaries for clubs to have to worry about if a player in the previous season was junior or senior. During the season I understand, But surely whatever club a player signs for at the start of a new season, should be respected. I personnally Played a senior player for 10 mins in a junior game (which we won) I was wrong, lost the points (rightly So) but if we need to go back to previous seasons, Then should we not be looking at a rule change.

Manager St.Minver FC

My knowledge may be dated, but i thought u could play 2 senior players at a time in a Junior side?

And after playing 5 games without senior football they are then re-registered as a Junior player.

Also to be classed as a Senior player from the season before you must have played 5 games at that level?

I also do not agree with the rule, it has effected Perranporth twice now that i can remember.

We did have an avenue out years ago when the Duchy League did not have this rule, meaning we could keep what was Perran combo together (playing Duchy 5).

Guest BenTheYeti

We've had this problem this season too.. had a player come join us who was at a senior team last season. We knew that, but because it was the close season, we assumed signing him to a Junior club wouldn't be a problem.

However, after sending off the signing on forms, I received an email from Steve Carpenter stating that the player still needed to be reinstated

From what I believe (and as my knowledge of Senior football and the workings of the CCFA is limited so I may be incorrect), a player who signs for a senior team, does so for 2 seasons at a time.. so any players swapping from Senior to Junior from last season, have to be reinstated.

One thing that comes to my mind is, with regards to Penzance Reserves, what happens in that sort of situation if they keep most of the squad together after relegation, does every player still have to be reinstated? Could cost up to £60-70!

We've had this problem this season too.. had a player come join us who was at a senior team last season. We knew that, but because it was the close season, we assumed signing him to a Junior club wouldn't be a problem.

However, after sending off the signing on forms, I received an email from Steve Carpenter stating that the player still needed to be reinstated

From what I believe (and as my knowledge of Senior football and the workings of the CCFA is limited so I may be incorrect), a player who signs for a senior team, does so for 2 seasons at a time.. so any players swapping from Senior to Junior from last season, have to be reinstated.

One thing that comes to my mind is, with regards to Penzance Reserves, what happens in that sort of situation if they keep most of the squad together after relegation, does every player still have to be reinstated? Could cost up to £60-70!

Rightly or wrong clubs that drop down from senior football to junior football, i.e. relegated from Combo get special dispensation with this rule - so basically a combo team, albeit a rubbish one can drop down and not have to worry about senior players which may give them a huge advantage - or not. Correct me if I am wrong as to my understanding of the rule.

There are fewer evening games this year too so it takes forever for make "senior" players into juniors especially when campsites etc are still in being and then you get gaps in the fixture list at the beginning of the season - still be playing at the end of May I bet........

Rightly or wrong clubs that drop down from senior football to junior football, i.e. relegated from Combo get special dispensation with this rule - so basically a combo team, albeit a rubbish one can drop down and not have to worry about senior players which may give them a huge advantage - or not. Correct me if I am wrong as to my understanding of the rule.

There are fewer evening games this year too so it takes forever for make "senior" players into juniors especially when campsites etc are still in being and then you get gaps in the fixture list at the beginning of the season - still be playing at the end of May I bet........

Half right bash all the Penzance players who were registered for Penzance last year do get an automatic blanket reinstatement at the start of the season. Obviously if they play 5 games for the first team they become senior players again. If a player has joined Penzance reserves from another senior club that they played for last year that is not Penzance they have to be reinstated in the normal way and Penzance can only play a max of 2

The only reason i can see for it to exist is to prevent teams loading up with senior players for 5 games at the start of a season. For instance if the rule didn't exist an we have a tough 1st game mid week when our 1st team have no game we could put 6 or 7 in with no issues (rightly or wrongly). So I also think its a daft rule but you need something in place to prevent that happening.

This pops up every year but it's never sorted we had the issue a few seasons ago, ludgvan had it last year and so on.......

You can only have 2 reinstated playing at anytime in the league but 4 can play in a junior cup game? Very inconsistent.

Guest BenTheYeti

..and then there's the rigmarole of writing off to have them reinstated and paying the fee.. if you've got an up and coming Junior team who are pushing, say for Combo, and there's a few lads who are playing for a struggling senior team, they may well want to come and join in.. all hypothetical of course but stranger things have happened

With 500+ views, Less than 20 replies I assume most accept the present system as ok. The various governing bodies view this site & think the other 400 plus accept the present system ok. On the other hand those that have replied find that they would welcome change. The PM that stated ONLY SWLP and above should be registered as seniour is the way to go. But the silent 500 need to express a view positive or negative speak up if you want change. Having falling foul of the present system I am not in favour. The majority must rule and those who have not expressed an opinion will decide.

I rabbit a bit sorry.

i`d like to see a scrapping of the current system.If a " senior" player has played " senior" football for lets say goonhavern in the combo two seasons ago and has played 5+ games then that means that this player is illegal to play in junior footie this weekend....yes two seasons ago!....only two senior players aloowed per junior game

Its complete and udder madness and as i`ve said before bullocks.

I tried to raise the issue at the AGM but was shot down.I was young and naeive then..... watch me this coming agm.

It seems that anyone involved in a club is punished but a one horse team wins.

I understand the what if your first team don`t have a game issue, well my first team didn`t have a game first match of the season and they all wanted to play but to adhere to the rules, as one must i told em all to woah...i allready have six " senior" players of which 4 had to sit on the sidelines without playing...and that was against arguably the best team in the league!

to sum up my best playing squad are getting fat and sitting on the sidelines thinking of playing for other teams simply because of this stupid STUPID rule.

Now that goonhavern are experiencing this ....maybe we`ll get some realisim from the league officials

i`d like to propose that if you have signed junior forms then you are a junior player.If you have signed senior forms then you are a senior player but ONLY for this season.Then roll with only two senior reinstated players per game and low and behold i`m now a fan of ID CARDS so we can prove it.....you listening steve?

Scott its not a trelawny league rule but a county one the £6 reinstatement fee goes to the ccfa. This topic has been covered many many many times before but has never been resolved and can only be discussed if brought to the attention of the Ccfa and clubs attending the Ccfa AGM which many (us included) don't

Personally I think that the best way to change the rule is that a club is only allowed to field a max of 3 players who have played in a higher league in the previous 15 days. That way clubs know themselves who has played higher and clubs in the lower divisions are protectedfrom to many players from higher placed teams being picked to enhance squads in the lower divisions it also would get rid of this silly 5 game qualification to junior status which can cause major problems at this time of year

..and then there's the rigmarole of writing off to have them reinstated and paying the fee.. if you've got an up and coming Junior team who are pushing, say for Combo, and there's a few lads who are playing for a struggling senior team, they may well want to come and join in.. all hypothetical of course but stranger things have happened

That is exactly what is happening and not strange at all - just a money making exercise

i`d like to see a scrapping of the current system.If a " senior" player has played " senior" football for lets say goonhavern in the combo two seasons ago and has played 5+ games then that means that this player is illegal to play in junior footie this weekend....yes two seasons ago!....only two senior players aloowed per junior game

Its complete and udder madness and as i`ve said before bullocks.

I tried to raise the issue at the AGM but was shot down.I was young and naeive then..... watch me this coming agm.

It seems that anyone involved in a club is punished but a one horse team wins.

I understand the what if your first team don`t have a game issue, well my first team didn`t have a game first match of the season and they all wanted to play but to adhere to the rules, as one must i told em all to woah...i allready have six " senior" players of which 4 had to sit on the sidelines without playing...and that was against arguably the best team in the league!

to sum up my best playing squad are getting fat and sitting on the sidelines thinking of playing for other teams simply because of this stupid STUPID rule.

Now that goonhavern are experiencing this ....maybe we`ll get some realisim from the league officials

make sure you notify the AGM in writing beforehand or if you try to bring it up without prior notice the dinosaurs will roar and you will be shot down immediately

Guest BenTheYeti

When we were dealing with this last week (for 1 player it took 1 email, 3 phone calls and 1 letter,, though there were some unique circumstances involved), I heard rumour that those upon high feel the system is dated and that it is to be discussed very very soon,,

Cornwall remains the only Football Association in England to have teams/leagues classified as "Senior" or "Junior". This situation can be changed by the CCFA and the debate with them has already started. It really should be up to each league to have their own rules to determine which players are eligible to play in it; reinstatement is a totally unnecessary obstacle, which prevents people from playing football and interferes with normal team selection

If clubs really want the re-instatement position changed, them every club that comes under the CCFA area should write to them reqursting that it should be done away with. When I discuss the matter with county officials I am told that only two leagues, which includes the Trelawny League have requested it in writing, and an odd club has also written in.

Well now club secretaries, how many of you really want this rule changed, and are prepared to write to the Chairman of the CCFA, at 15 Callywith Gate Industrial Estate, Launceston Road, Bodmin, PL31 2RQ, or email geoff.lee@cornwallfa.com

Show the CCFA that this is wanted by grass root clubs.

The CCFA contacted all Clubs to ask their opinion about the proposal to do away with any replays in County Cup Competitions; they could do exactly the same with the senior/junior/reinstatement situation. The current philosophy of the CCFA is to listen to the views of the Clubs and involve them as much as possible in decision making - hence each League now having representation on the CCFA Council.

• 3 weeks later...

If clubs really want the re-instatement position changed, them every club that comes under the CCFA area should write to them reqursting that it should be done away with. When I discuss the matter with county officials I am told that only two leagues, which includes the Trelawny League have requested it in writing, and an odd club has also written in.

Well now club secretaries, how many of you really want this rule changed, and are prepared to write to the Chairman of the CCFA, at 15 Callywith Gate Industrial Estate, Launceston Road, Bodmin, PL31 2RQ, or email geoff.lee@cornwallfa.com

Just interested did anyone follow this tip