Cornwall Football Forum

fixture revue

after our manic trip last saturday where hayle from west cornwall had to make the long trip to devon on a bank holiday up the A30 which took nearly 4hrs why can,t the fixture secretary arrange bank holiday matches on a local level like they do at christmas it does,nt need rocket science to work out.

Totally agree, Witheridge to Newquay on a Bank Holiday Saturday in August, we heard some horror stories of fans and players taking 4+ hours to travel 80 miles. Furthermore, both Newquay sides were scheduled at home on the very same day (again) when crowds are always low due to said Bank Holiday, folk around here have to work in the tourist trade and are unable to get any time off on such dates.

Perhaps if the SWPL were not in such a rush to get fixtures out every year, they could take some time to consider such problems. They ask who clubs would like on Boxing Day or if they want Friday night games, but not it seems to take local situations into account, or are we being a tad harsh ?

Could the clubs not help themselves by identifying potential problems like this and liaising with the fixture secretary to solve them?

After all, the fixtures are published well in advance so there should be plenty of time.

Maybe there shouldn't be any fixtures at all over the August bank holiday weekend?

I'm not really convinced it’s up to the clubs to identify this problem, we have an officer within the SWPL format to do this.

Lets put something into perspective, it's not an easy job for any individual to be a fixture secretary, 90% clubs do not have any issues, it's just frustrating when this happens, we boarded the coach at 11:15 at Hayle FC and arrived at Holsworthy FC at 3:30. The Holsworthy folk and ref were fantastic so was the league regarding our late arrival, but this must be looked at next year. Not only for our club but others that have to travel these distances.

Players still work on a Saturday's so to leave at 9am is just not feasible, im hoping lesson's are learnt and wait in anticipation for next years August and September fixtures.

Agreed. It even happens in the duchy league. I remember playing for st mawgan in the duchy prem maybe 4 seasons ago and on a bank holiday saturday we were away to bere alston. We turned up 10mins before kick off and rushed for kick off to find that there was only 9 of us and the rest of the players were stuck in traffic. We were 4-0 down after 15mins when the other players turned up and the game ended 5-1. And then to find out st merryn were at home to lamerton the same day. Why couldn't the league have let lamerton play bere Alston as they are local neighbours and st mawgan v st merryn. Strange decision.

August bank holiday 1989.Port bus left at 1030 for away fixture at Holsworthy.Port 2 star strikers left at 1230 due to work.Bus arrived at 330,strikers an hour earlier?Problem been there for years despite better roads and comms.Strikers took alternative route up via wadebridge ,"THERE,S GOALSCORERS AND THERE,S FOOTBALLERS" :c:

As Nemesis said earlier perhaps the peninsular league tries to win the acclaim each year of being the first to announce its fixtures and therefore we end up with some fixtures we don't all agree upon, especially the number of times both St Blazey and St Austell are home together this coming season but I must admit I wouldn't like the job of arranging so many football matches your bound to get flack from someone

Totally agree, Witheridge to Newquay on a Bank Holiday Saturday in August, we heard some horror stories of fans and players taking 4+ hours to travel 80 miles. Furthermore, both Newquay sides were scheduled at home on the very same day (again) when crowds are always low due to said Bank Holiday, folk around here have to work in the tourist trade and are unable to get any time off on such dates.

Perhaps if the SWPL were not in such a rush to get fixtures out every year, they could take some time to consider such problems. They ask who clubs would like on Boxing Day or if they want Friday night games, but not it seems to take local situations into account, or are we being a tad harsh ?

At Falmouth Town we've had Witheridge away at peak time and Cullompton away twice on bank holidays and midweek which has been a nightmare! I realise Phil has a hard job and he does it well but we need to have a little bit of flexibilty between the clubs and the CSWPL. This is probably why some clubs travel away and struggle for numbers with the bare eleven and a sub if they're fortunate!

As Nemesis said earlier perhaps the peninsular league tries to win the acclaim each year of being the first to announce its fixtures and therefore we end up with some fixtures we don't all agree upon, especially the number of times both St Blazey and St Austell are home together this coming season but I must admit I wouldn't like the job of arranging so many football matches your bound to get flack from someone

I think there is some kudos to be to be enjoyed by being first St Francis!

Seeing as the fixture list is out so early, WHY aren't the clubs asking for the changes long before the first ball is kicked and not waiting until the problem has come and gone. I'm sure that the fixture sec would welcome you with open arms to help sort out the seasons fixtures, which some people think is easy!

Guys phil does a brilliant job

Why not plan you journey? Leave early?

Plymouth are away to burnley tomorrow, I'm sure that's gonna be a long journey! Point I'm making here's your fixtures so don't moan about it deal with it

That's fair enough pro but Plymouth players and management are professional. Players and managers at swpl level are not professional and have jobs, some of whom work on a Saturday morning so would need to take time off or not play football. Also some have families they would like to spend the bank holiday with

Guys phil does a brilliant job

Why not plan you journey? Leave early?

Plymouth are away to burnley tomorrow, I'm sure that's gonna be a long journey! Point I'm making here's your fixtures so don't moan about it deal with it

That's fair enough pro but Plymouth players and management are professional. Players and managers at swpl level are not professional and have jobs, some of whom work on a Saturday morning so would need to take time off or not play football. Also some have families they would like to spend the bank holiday with

As stated earlier the fixtures have been out for some time & it should be possible for clubs to look at the fixtures and spot anything they don't like, then liaise with the League Secretary to get them changed.

Better than moaning about it after the event.