Cornwall Football Forum

Mining League Curtain Raiser. Sun 19th Aug.

As a curtain raiser to the forthcoming season the Mining League Committee have arranged two games for Sunday August 19th at STORM afc.

12 NOON

TROON (Div 2 winners last season) V MINING DIV 2 SELECT XI.

2-30pm

Jack Taylor Trophy.

PORTREATH (Div 1 Winners) V MINING DIV 1 SELECT XI.

BBQ and Refreshments will be available. :thumbsup:

Does mining three not exist then?.

I can see where your coming from coopsie, but considering that these rep games haven't been played at all over the last few years, 2 out of 3 aint a bad start.

The idea was to bring the Jack Taylor Trophy game forward from its old new years day slot to the opening game of the season, therefore more chance of it actually being played. The mining 2 game was added to give spectators a good day out, with a beer and BBQ for good measure. It would be great to see a 3rd game added next year, and your manager is the man for the job. Hope to see you Sunday. :c:

Yes Jay, but that don't mean your in, you spent half the season injured! obviously i dont have a clue what the two promoted clubs are like and i can only go on what ive seen on the pitch and some with some help from other managers or secretarys info. can't really pick from this years squads when we haven't kicked a ball in the league. Good luck this year, hope you have a goodun. :c:

Mining League 2 squad as follows:

Mark Musgrave (Camborne School of Mines)

Sam Davis (CSOM)

Joe Ashton (Four Lanes)

Lewis Hollister (FL)

Will Elstone (Marazion)

Mikey Falconer (Mt Ambrose)

Nico Lane (M A)

Ben Jones (New Park Rangers)

Ian Cunningham (N P R)

Barry Penfold (N P R)

Damian Norman (N P R)

Ryan Baber (Redruth United)

Phil Nicholls (R U)

Barry McCabe (R U)

Tom Thorpe (St Agnes)

Paris Waller (S A)

Josh Finley (St Buryan)

Manager: Darren Lewarne (Redruth Utd)

Assistant: Darin Thomas (Redruth Utd)

NOTE TO PLAYERS - PLEASE BE AT THE GROUND 11AM.

Would be great to see plenty of support from Mining League players/supporters!

Mining Div 1. select side.

Ben Reeve (Gulval)

Alex Turner (Gwinear)

Brad Smith (Storm)

Matt Sara (Trevenson)

Rob Pentecost (Threemilestone)

Danny Andrewartha (Robartes)

Craig Williams (Storm)

Ryan Stephens (Threemilestone)

Darren Steadman (Gulval)

James Paradise (Gwinear)

Chris Uren (Robartes)

Greg Wills (Robartes)

Matt Thompson (storm)

Ben Widdershoven (Storm)

Brett Adams (Spice of life)

Jason Leeson (Spice of life).

Can all players be AT Storm afc by 1-45pm Please.

Any problems ring Phil Pascoe 07719442044.

Fair enough. Good result today for oxford.

I think redruth will do ok this season, nothing spectacular, they just need to consolidate there position in mining this season and bulid from there. They have kept the bulk of their team from last season and signed a couple decent players. With there 2nd team starting promising aswell i predict a good future ahead of redruth utd. Exciting times.

Thanks for the separate sub-thread Mr Door and Mr 16!!!!!! This isn't the thread to comment on Redruth Utd so I will keep quiet on that. In response to the specific thread though:

I have been the Mining 2 League Manager for around 10 years, and my policy has always been to pick from as many teams as possible.

I'm a firm believer that every team in the division has at least 1 person who is good enough to represent a league select side and as a result, I have always made it my policy to encourage participation from as many clubs as possible.

I think this is a fairer representation of the league than picking 4 or 5 players from the top 3 or 4 clubs, plus a token gesture for a couple other teams.

It is very tempting to pick more players from ones own team - and there would have been some deserved cases - but my principles remain the same.

As far as the important stuff is concerned: I am very pleased and proud to report that the Mining 2 representative side beat Troon 3-2.

With 2 well-taken first half goals from Will Elstone (Marazion) and Josh Finley (St Buryan), and with the wind behind them. the League side were the dominant first half team.

The second half was always going to be a tough half for the league side, although they did well to restrict Troon to long range shots for the first 15 mins of the second half.

Troon got back into the game to equalise to 2-2 and in fairness bossed the majority of the second half. With barely 3 minutes to go, and after coming off the bench with 15 mins to go, Shaun Phillips (Marazion) burst through the Troon defence to slot the ball home.

Here, I sign off my Mining League 2 representative managerial post as we (Redruth) move up into Div 1.

To all those who played for the team today: thank you and well done. I am very proud!