Cornwall Football Forum

The cost of running a local football club.

From reading the various threads on this website, it is obvious that there is a wealth of knowledge, talent and sound sense coming from those involved in the game at all levels. It is therefore sad indeed, that so many clubs are struggling for want of finance and tragic to hear of some clubs on the verge of seeming evaporation.

It is interesting to read that many or indeed most clubs, are experiencing the same problems, especially regarding players lack of loyalty and hence the changing of clubs, almost at a whim. One member of the forum has mentioned the handling of fines and it would be interesting to hear how the various clubs handle/administer players fines, along with those players who fail to pay their fines. Paying fines can cost clubs working on a slim budget, a lot of their hard earned cash each season.

One member of the forum has mentioned the handling of fines and it would be interesting to hear how the various clubs handle/administer players fines, along with those players who fail to pay their fines. Paying fines can cost clubs working on a slim budget, a lot of their hard earned cash each season.

That's a difficult one as clubs can get fined if their players don't pay fines. I think a lot of clubs pay their players' fines for them then try and get it back from the player but, obviously, this can backfire and leave a club out of pocket, particularly at the end of the season. For teams with a small squad it can be difficult for a club to put its foot down and say 'you don't play until you've squared up your fine money'.

Thank you for that Sam. I'm sure you're right regarding clubs paying fines for players. The clubs paying the fines for their players is I suppose ok to a degree, for eg, if the club feel that a particular booking or sending off was unjust. However, it doesn't properly deal with the player's foul play. I have a feeling, in view of the rest of your helpful remarks, that you may be one of very few who offer a comment. Thanks again.

Threatening players with not playing if a fine goes unpaid is probably as unlikely as us doing the treble!!! Managers want/need their best players to be available unfortunately as it was quite eloquently put at the combo meeting last night players seem to never have any money in their front pocket on a match day pleading poverty but are big time millionaires in the back pocket for their Saturday night...we've all tried it on when the secretary asks for a fine but eventually I'm sure if pestered enough players pay up. The trick is to continue pestering until you wear them down enough to pay up. I tend to nag for 3 weeks on a Saturday and if still not forthcoming start to use the wonder of nagging/reminding by text which eventually wins through. It's unfortunate that the club have to pay the fine first but unless the Ccfa change the system and send the fine directly to the players home address rather then the club secretary the club will always have the chance of being out of pocket.........I'm quite intrigued why the Ccfa do not do that because I'm sure they would make more money due to players with poor "admin" having their fines doubled after two weeks.

It was mentioned last night about players going to a different club in the close season and not paying fines which can be remedied by either the club secretary telling the players new club they owe money and I'm sure 99% of all clubs would ensure a fine is repaid or when players are registered to a club they remain registered throughout the year and the 7 day rule exists for 12 months so if a player wants to move but owes money the club are well within their rights to not sign a transfer until the debt is repaid......that would stop clubs being in trouble through a mass exodus during June and July too but that is a different topic entirely

The Gulval secretary and I used to pass the same cheque between us and never cash it for Yoyo Jojo, bless him. The CCFA are more interested in saving postage costs and administrative labour in looking up player addresses.....and so many player addresses are temporary anyway. Since when did they care about their member clubs as opposed to central taxation at our expense ? If I took payment in kind in for all the fines I've paid I could get free replacement roofing for life.

Thanks Pitty. I suspect that this is a subject widely experienced amongst most clubs. No club wants to suspend or drop a player, especially a good one, because he hasn't paid his fine or fines. Perhaps players who do pay their fines can be used to pressurise those who don't !!!

A real tickler this !

Just an idea. All players upon registration have to sign up to the CCFA with direct debit details before the start of the season. If they get fined it automatically gets taken out their accounts.

Although I put the above as a joke, it would help improve discipline on the pitch! People would think twice before swearing at a referee.

Splendid, but too avant-garde for Cornish football. Characteristically, I always recall the meeting of the JCCL in 2001 at which the management committee told the clubs they had turned down a free computer because this internet thingy wasn't going to catch on and they didn't know anybody who was on it.

Suggest it to the CCFA and see what they say I :)t is an excellent proposal.