Cornwall Football Forum

Illogan v Foxhole Swpl

What's the point, extra expense, more travelling, we have already seen more teams this year going under due to maybe money etc, for what?! I personally think the Swpl is a joke, people moan about the standard of football in swpl and combo, come on! It doesn't take a brain scientist! U used to have mining league, combo, then. 1 south western league, now u have the Trelawny league ( old combo) combo then 3 swpl leagues?!! Let's b fair the swpl east and west are the old combo and ecpl! Players spread to thin on the ground now over more leagues, standards dropping, end of!

Amen to that Jamo!

The SWPL was the worst thing that could have happened to the standard of Cornish football really. I remember watching the Jewson South Western League when there used to be 2 or 3 teams challenging for the league going into the last few games of the season. Recently the leagues have been over and done with by March.

Illogan? Big fish small pond!

Have either of you ever played in the old South Western league or the SWPL?

Unfortunately it's narrow minded, unambitious people like yourselves that hinder the development of a very good league setup. Oh and Bodmins lack of ambition!

I remember watching the Jewson South Western League when there used to be 2 or 3 teams challenging for the league going into the last few games of the season. Recently the leagues have been over and done with by March.

I assume you're talking about the premier league? The east and west divisions have been very close over recent seasons.

Yes I have played in the swpl actually and was fortunate to be part of an excellent Falmouth Town squad in the fa vase run in 1995 when we eventually lost to Belper. I am not against progress at all either, you say Illogan a big fish in a small pond, we pay no expenses and cannot do so, after witnessing several clubs struggle and nearly go to the wall after attempting to go higher, would I rather put the club at risk or keep a solid club in good shape?! It's not lack of ambition, but knowing the risk of damaging the club when we know we have no budget

Plus in my opinion, I don't think many would disagree that leagues are in general weaker, when 1 very good south western league was split into 3 leagues! East and west swpl on the whole are prob not any stronger the the old combo and ecpl when there was just the one south western league. Plus by creating an extra 2 leagues, quality players are spread thinner on the ground, like I said, that's just my opinion, wasn't a need for such an aggressive response

Illogan? Big fish small pond!

Have either of you ever played in the old South Western league or the SWPL?

Unfortunately it's narrow minded, unambitious bigots like yourselves that hinder the development of a very good league setup. Oh and Bodmins lack of ambition!

I remember watching the Jewson South Western League when there used to be 2 or 3 teams challenging for the league going into the last few games of the season. Recently the leagues have been over and done with by March.

I assume you're talking about the premier league? The east and west divisions have been very close over recent seasons.

Jamo is a top man and to call him a bigot is a very over the top comment,my opinion.

Jamo - when I read the post where you and Darren were described as "bigots", I did consider editing the post. However I looked up the exact definition and not quite so bad as I thought! :)

"One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."

That's ok Dave, although readi g the definition of bigotry it states it can be Regarded as a person that regards racist or ethnic groups with a hatred and intolerance and can also include, age, disability and gender identity, I personally am in no way that kind of person so you can see why I did find it offensive, Tom Daley had someone arrested for a less slanderous comment on twitter lol ;)

Jamo - when I read the post where you and Darren were described as "bigots", I did consider editing the post. However I looked up the exact definition and not quite so bad as I thought! :)

"One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ."

I think you'll fnd that it was the threat to kill a prominent Olympic athlete that triggered a police response to a Twitter feed. Mr Justice Judge (that really was the name) has reduced paranoia in some quarters about on-line comments following the excellent decision to clear the comedian who was critical of Doncaster Airport, but I don't expect Dave Deacon reads the Times Law Reports. This site has actually become rather bland, with the exception of two or three contributors, which is why it is less busy than it used to be.

I would rather enjoy a competitive Combo than a diminutive SWPL West any day. If you are a football purist, leave Cornwall to raise your standard ! I couldn't care less about the standard as long as the Tinners score on more than the opposition. I only come home because I miss a good old family battle evey few weeks. We don't want this old Platini-internationalist nonsense ruining our respected sublimatios of tribal war....that's why we're Cornish !

Might be, depends on how demanding new job is in Swindon. Mawther is now in excellent home in Gwithian: the one up St Just had been hammered by the Care Quality Commission and I wouldn't even leave Rolo in there !

St Just AFC is in the competent hands of an extensive new committee. I understand they've got a distinguished new lino with extensive refereeing experience. I have been watching Forest Green Rovers in the Blue Square...they have just changed their colours from magpie-stripes to green and black.....it's like a home from home !

Nice to be back: I think one of the moderators tried to ban me for two years. What a banker ! :yahoo: