Cornwall Football Forum

Clubs in trouble

It is very sad to see the likes of Dartmouth pulling out of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League, Penzance also on the brink and St Blazey having severe problems last season.

One has to ask, how many other clubs within Devon and Cornwall are not in a healthy position?

Copied from Penzance AFC's Facebook page:

"Penzance Afc are bitterly dissappointed to learn that current 1st team manager Robin Watt has decided to leave the club. There will be further comments from secretary John Mead in this week's "Cornishman",as well as a report from the positive outcome to last week's open meeting at the club.

There was a very good turnout of 19 players at tonight's training session,while some others were working. Training resumes on thursday evening and players are keen and looking forward to the first league match at St Blazey this saturday."

You say St Blazey had a poor season, cant argue with that at all. After all, people still look at the titles and cups won only a few years ago as the bench mark. But times have changed, that team has long gone.

St Blazey didnt have a problem getting players, it was just the money wasnt there to have the best around. After all, thats what its all about most of the time.

The club cut their cloth and made a profit. I would say thats not a bad season.

Is it perhaps the main problem is too many Leagues and some Clubs having too many Teams leaving a general shortage of Players.

No it's not. I've said it before but players are downsizing.

They are finding increasingly difficult to afford this hobby we call football.

Away trips costs, drinks/food after the matches or on the way home, loss of wages, cost of boots, travelling to training, etc is pricing some players out of playing for the SWPL teams.

They will be playing mates football for their local clubs for the next 3-4 years until the economy picks up and there is more money put into the game.

They expect compensation for turning out in a teams colours especially for clubs in the SWPL Premier. Most clubs just don't have the money any more, nor will for the next few years.

Money must be spent on the clubs for them to survive and not on players to play for them, and hopefully after this season more clubs will take the non-payment route and players realise that there isn't money in the game any more.

Certainly could be. Its like clubs with alot of sides maybe could be better off concentrating on the 1st team and a reserve team. There does seem to be this lack of ambition to play at the highest level possible. So players prefering to play at the lower scale as long as their with a group of mates.

You say St Blazey had a poor season, cant argue with that at all. After all, people still look at the titles and cups won only a few years ago as the bench mark. But times have changed, that team has long gone.

St Blazey didnt have a problem getting players, it was just the money wasnt there to have the best around. After all, thats what its all about most of the time.

The club cut their cloth and made a profit. I would say thats not a bad season.

Whilst we all want to see our own club win everything, to the detriment of other clubs, nobody with a passion for the game wishes to see other clubs on the brink of extinction.

The country is in severe recession, money is tight and clubs simply cannot pay what they don't have. If they do, they will simply cease to exist.

Expecting a "sugar daddy" businessman to "come out of the mist" and fund an expensive squad, is simply not going to happen. Well it has, just look at Truro City and their problems now!

With all due respect, some managers & players have been given money that clubs don't have. I think a lot of committee members should smell the coffee, as they're the ones who hold the purse strings!

A lot of clubs have also dumped local players when bringing in so called high profile managers & players, they then bleat when they all go & are left with nothing. You can't blame local lads for not wanting to go back to a club that more or less told them they weren't good enough a short time ago?

These managers & players that move from club to club spending thousands to win buttons wouldn't be able to do that if committees were cute enough to see through it all? Every club should nurture their locals, they're the lifeblood & with the right guys in charge will give more than some money grabbing journeyman over the course of time.

It saddens me to see Truro & Penzance in this mess, but a number of people along with myself could see it coming. I spoke to Martin at St Blazey awhile ago & said to him, every committee at every club has a duty to that club, spending money they don't have will only bring one thing.

Outside money maybe ok, but how long does it last? As I've said look after your locals, as they will always be there when the money men, the journeymen & the hangers on have long gone!!

John, do the chairmen of all the cornish SWPL clubs ever get together to discuss matters that affect them all? If not, why not? Surely if all the clubs spoke with one voice they would have the upper hand over players and managers! Perhaps it will never happen, but no harm in aiming for Eutopia! :) :)

With all due respect, some managers & players have been given money that clubs don't have. I think a lot of committee members should smell the coffee, as they're the ones who hold the purse strings!

A lot of clubs have also dumped local players when bringing in so called high profile managers & players, they then bleat when they all go & are left with nothing. You can't blame local lads for not wanting to go back to a club that more or less told them they weren't good enough a short time ago?

These managers & players that move from club to club spending thousands to win buttons wouldn't be able to do that if committees were cute enough to see through it all? Every club should nurture their locals, they're the lifeblood & with the right guys in charge will give more than some money grabbing journeyman over the course of time.

It saddens me to see Truro & Penzance in this mess, but a number of people along with myself could see it coming. I spoke to Martin at St Blazey awhile ago & said to him, every committee at every club has a duty to that club, spending money they don't have will only bring one thing.

Outside money maybe ok, but how long does it last? As I've said look after your locals, as they will always be there when the money men, the journeymen & the hangers on have long gone!!

A lot of sensible words being written on this topic, if club chairmen and comittees continue to try to promise money that they don't have to players that are not concerned who they play for, just the amount of money they pick up. Then a lot more will follow Penzance! Heed the warnings at your peril, the loyal people at these clubs may not always be around to pick up the pieces

Ok paul I played last night against Falmouth 1st team apparently 7 or 8 lads from the pz area why are they playing for Falmouth and travelling all that way when they could be playing for their local club in the same league!!!!!!!

Xxxxxxxx

I think it is endemic in football that players dont have the heart for a fight - instead of sticking two fingers up and saying "right, let's go and pull our local club out of the mire and perhaps risk relegation but also possibly become heroes" they would rather have a comfortable ride elsewhere. The lure of the so-called bigger and better clubs is too much for most and they cannot see the bigger picture. If Penzance can keep it together till Xmas and are not too far off the pace then it is my guess that fringe players will drift back so they can get a game

I've said this before a few years ago and it's been the same since I started playing there in 1999.......clubs need to take a look at Launceston!! For about the last 15 years the club has been running on a very small budget but has based all squads in that time around local players. I think there are 10+ in this years squad who all live in Launceston and probably get little more than a tenner a game. But they play there because they are proud to play for the town and you couldn't get a friendlier club. Maybe all the other chairman and committee members should give Bear a ring and ask him how he does it!!!

Bang on Spider. I saw Coops the other day when I was in Plymouth & he said that the locals are doing well for him. Les & myself had the same at Truro, everybody loved it & we did well. I had a good little local side building at Penzance the last time I was there, until they decided to bring in the big spenders, so like I said in an earlier post, the committees need to look at themselves. They're the reason that clubs hit the buffers. Anybody can run a team & be on top of a league with money, but it's a true test of managing when your budget is small or even zero. You ask my old Truro team that used to regularly upset the big boys, they were the best years of their lives, and they still talk about it now!

The problem is not eveywhere has a pool of decent local players to choose from, which will result in the club getting relegated anyhow !! And to be honest if every club went local the Plymouth clubs would be dominating due to the amount of players there are in the area,

You/re right to a degree Crusty, Plymouth has an abundance of talent, but there are som gems all over Cornwall, you just have to turn every stone to find them. Penzance have turned out a wealth of talent right down the years, and I'm sure they will continue to do so, we just hope they can keep hold of them once found? If they're looked after, they will stay, and I don't mean financially. You get a good bunch of mates playing together, they will stay & then more & more locals will want to join in the fun too. Seen it & done it for myself.