Cornwall Football Forum

Even more problems at Penlee Park

Just to add to our misery, just two weeks after the departure of Steve Flack, Robin Watt has also called it a day - just 5 days before the opening League game at St Blazey. Makes survival an even more daunting task but if we don't make it, it won't be through the lack of trying. We have a side to play at St Blazey on Saturday and also at home to Saltash next Tuesday so I'm still optimistic we will pull through. Could do with a few former Magpies returning to the nest though!

I wish I had the complete answer to that Pro. Players tell me it's not about money but about being part of a "competitive" team; if that was truthfully the case, we would have had a "competitive" team if the players who have departed had decided to stay! The problem now is getting more experienced players to sign - you need to have some experienced players in the first place if you are to attract more of them: it's difficult to get up the ladder with the bottom rungs missing! It is clear that football without brown envelopes is a precarious road to go down but it is the only sustainable option for us in the current economic climate; we haven't got land to sell to balance the books so must cut our cloth accordingly.

I wish I had the complete answer to that Pro. Players tell me it's not about money but about being part of a "competitive" team; if that was truthfully the case, we would have had a "competitive" team if the players who have departed had decided to stay! The problem now is getting more experienced players to sign - you need to have some experienced players in the first place if you are to attract more of them: it's difficult to get up the ladder with the bottom rungs missing! It is clear that football without brown envelopes is a precarious road to go down but it is the only sustainable option for us in the current economic climate; we haven't got land to sell to balance the books so must cut our cloth accordingly.

As a Penzance boy born and Bred I am saddened by the trouble that the cub find themselves in, They are not the only club to have fallen fowl of the recession as has been well documented on this forum.

I am sure that with the level of commitment which I know exists at the club that they will rebuild.

Dobwalls found themselves in a worse position 2 years ago when both of the management team resigned a couple of weeks before the season started which prompted what was left of the previous years squad to leave for another local club.

A new management team were appointed and they brought a team of 17 and 18 year olds fresh from kids football.

We didn't expect a lot from them but we were pleasantly surprised when they more than held there own in the Peninsula league div 1 west. This was achieved with very little budget.

So the Phoenix can rise from the ashes if everyone pulls together. With a town the size of Penzance surely there are numerous young and more experienced players who would relish playing at Penlee Park?

I wish John Mead and Penzance all the best for what will surely be a challenging season.

Good luck to John Mead, whose commitment to his club and football in general deserves the highest praise. Sorry as I am for any club going through difficult times, I wonder if Mr Deacon's efforts would be or indeed have been as strong for other clubs in difficulty. Did he provide private communication networks for players to reanimate Marazion, Bugle, Kelynack, Falmouth Docks or Heavy Transport ? I see Holsworthy, former members of th old SWL, have just withdrawn from the ECPL. What will Mr Deacon be doing for them ?

Those who swim with the sharks must expect to be swallowed eventually. It's also strange how the rules on player approaches can be relaxed when Penzance is a club in need. In the early years of the century, when the respected David Burt signed forms for St Just, the rules enabling Penzance to get him back were very differently interpreted. Some clubs are perhaps more equal than others, as the saying goes.

Rather than wasting money on embarrassment in the SWPL, why not play a successful season in junior football and earn respect by promotion on merit instead of depnding on media nepotism and administrative connections to postpone an inevitable decline ? The SWPL will remain expensive for years to come. The recession, especially in construction,is set to worsen further in Cornwall, a couple of years behind the economic curve.

Penzance Reserves survived in the Combo only because of the ability to fixture as many games as possible under lights, with a friendly Fixture Secretary eager to bring games forward as much as possible. The Trelawney League is now a much more suitable place for Penzance to compete. When the first team were in SWPL West, the fact that their games ran out in March also boosted the ability to play first team players in the reserves, achieving excellent results like a 1-1 draw with a top six side against whom the regular reserve team had earlier lost 7-0. The excitement of a good Junior Cup run could exceed anything the club has achieved for two or three decades and the fact that Penzance Reserves gates have recently matched the first team suggests a sporting public willing to support local lads at any level.

Transport costs will rise, the time needed for away trips will not shrink, the foolishness of not buying a ground will become more glaring, the difficuties of sponsors in harsh econmic climates will deepen, and Penzance will be in the same position, post-relegation, in twelve months.

Better by far for Penzance to cut their coats according to their cloth now, if the survial of the club is the major priority. Pumping an addict with heroin may make him feel better temporarily as he approaches death, but it won't cure him.

Reading all this from the middle east where im working , very sad to hear of such a great club in trouble.I agree with the problem being the downturn in the economy being a major factor and the fact that it will get worse for the southwest before it gets better.Its times like this that show the strength of a community and i have no doubt that all at PZ will turn it around.In fact im home next week for a holiday so i shall come down and cheer you on.

I think it's shocking that the 2 new joint managers have walked out on the club,they knew what they were walking into,and to do it within day's of the new season, hold ur heads in shame, no balls,. good luck to Alan on sat, as for the other 2 ,words cannot describe. come on you magpies

Don't think Robin & Steve are entirely to blame, they can only assume that they had the nucleus of a squad with the retainer system. A little bird tells me that players were promised things were going to happen at Penzance by people who are at Falmouth, which to be fair neither Robin or Steve would've known anything about?

Robbie, you are correct to some degree: When Falmouth went public on their financial problems, I was approached about many of them moving to Penzance. However, when it was clear we were not going to satisfy their financial demands and Falmouth suddenly "found" a budget, they all decided to stay put - and were joined by a few more from Penzance! This all happened - and was dead in the water - prior to any discussions with Robin & Steve about filling the vacancy but I did put Robin in the picture about what had gone on. It's a shame it didn't work out: they are really nice people and excellent coaches - if only players had given them the chance to demonstrate what the can do.

Taken from the Penzance AFC Facebook page...a new signing speaks..

"As a relative 'outsider' I want to thank the club in its entirety for welcoming me by committing to the cause. I have represented a few clubs and I have only ever felt at home at one, Newquay. The last few weeks I have been at Penzance I have met a wonderful group of players and staff and despite the comings and goings I am confident that together we can progress and have a good season.

Needless to say the atmosphere is such that I feel we can maintain our dignity, integrity and respect for the game whilst other clubs have succumbed to financial power. Having been fortunate to receive payment for participating in what is essentially a hobby, I am only too aware of how lucky I actually am.

I'm looking forward to playing against the best players Devon and Cornwall has to offer and test myself every week to get the most out of the spare time I give up when I could easily be doing other things. This is what it's about for me and this is the impression I got from the players that trained last night. I'm not sure what has happened to the club but from where I stand the fire is still burning!! Bring on St. Blazey!"