Cornwall Football Forum

Change to Law 4 - Players Equipment

Cornish-Ref

Hi All,

You may not be aware of a change to Law 4 - Players Equipment.

As of this season 2012/13 the following change is in place for a players Stockings (Socks):

"if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to"

In summary - you will have to use the same colour tape as your stockings (socks)!!!!!!

Cornish Ref :-)

So now pre-match the poor refs have to check for watches, rings, necklaces, shin pads, studs, under armour/shirts, cycling shorts........................and sock tape!!!!

what happens if a whole team have the wrong colour tape and no alternative?

Are the points awarded to the other team before a ball is kicked?

So now pre-match the poor refs have to check for watches, rings, necklaces, shin pads, studs, under armour/shirts, cycling shorts........................and sock tape!!!!

what happens if a whole team have the wrong colour tape and no alternative?

Are the points awarded to the other team before a ball is kicked?

Simple answer is - you have to remove it........ remember the referee only enforces the laws that FIFA set. If it is not seen however, it won't be a problem. In my opinion it mainly refers to players who tape up thier ankles.

It really beggars belief that with the bigger issues that need to be looked at in football, the bureaucrats have come up with another ridiculous, unnecessary law! I'm surprised that they haven't decided to extend the use of 6 match officials to our local leagues. I look forward to the day when we have match officials on the by-lines at Dracaena Avenue and the fourth official holds up a board telling us how many minutes before we can look forward to a hot shower(!) and start drinking (this isn't a pop at match officials by the way!).

Also, anyone notice that UEFA seem to clone referees? Every referee I saw in the Euros, with the exception of our own Howard Webb, seemed to fall into the late thirties/early forties with short black hair category. Perhaps Howard should consider a syrup?

The law was introduced following the latest fashion of professionals to use huge amounts of tape around the ankles. It was felt that the the wide band, being different in colour to the main sock, made it harder for referees and assistants to judge which player last touched the ball during challenges.

As long as players and referees apply some common sense then this law will have about as much effect on local football as the one about wearing snoods. You don't need masses of tape and as long as refs don't think it impairs their decision making it shouldn't be an issue.

I heard this banded about last year but it was obviously never actually an official rule. I was under the impression that anything on top of the team socks (ankle protectors, tape, ankle socks, tie ups etc) had to be the same colour as the team socks, therefore ankle protectors generally having to be worn under the team socks.

At the end of the day, it's not too much hassle to buys 2 rolls of tape the same colour as your socks.

My biggest bug bearer of the changing rooms- players that wear tape every week yet never bring any with them!! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Tommy, it`s all about the way players now cover all their ankles in a large amount of white tape, FIFA in their wisdom have decided that it has got to the point where referee`s may not in players challenging for the ball be able to detect the difference between players, therefore making teams wear different colours pointless.

Fair enough but the large amount of white tape is usually to disguise the fact that they've cut the feet off their socks. Maybe the kit manufacturers need to re-think how they make socks to include a sports sock foot section. Lots of players also use tubigrip on their legs to insert their shinpads into. That's a more preferable option for anyone with slip in shinpads. No need to waste money on tape each game.