Cornwall Football Forum

We switched to a 3-2-3-1-1 half way through last season. Out of the last 12 we W10-D1-L1. Mainly due to our shortage of defenders and only havin 1 striker. Works though and as a centre midfielder i know it confuses and frustrates the other sides who mainly play 4-4-2.

I admire any coach/manager who has the vision and bravery to try something new with there team but i think you have to keep it real if everyone could play like spain they would,i have not seen a team in the county put together 8/9 passes let alone 25/30 which is needed to make the spain system work.......any formation is the right one if it wins........interesting topic though.

Last season our side played the tried and tested 4 4 2 for 1st half of season and it worked then the manager got abit experimental andplayed 3 5 2 that worked on a narrow pitch but left you wide open on a big pitch! Back 3 cant cover full back positions so you end up dragging back the winger, plays havoc with formation! This might give ppl a few ideas

We had 2 holding midfielders so the wingers shouldnt have to come back and cover. They mark the full backs so only defend if they push forward. The defence shifts across and a midfielder fills the gap. The 5 in midfield should work better on a wide pitch as it drags the other team out of positions.

I agree you have to use a formation that suits your players, but to improve the standard of football you need to encourage short passing play.

We had new young reserve side made of local lads, which had 3-4 expericenced lads introduced into it. Now the team plays a better style of football and a few of the young players have improved as a result and looking to play duchy prem this season.

Someone made the point of not being able to keep possession of the ball.

I think this what we should be trying to achieve at grass roots level.

It's the workrate off the ball and learning to improve yours/our first touch and body, to create more time.

Don't have to play like headless chickens, running into tight areas and going nowhere.

ITS REALLY GREAT TO SEE THERE ARE TACTIANS OUT THERE IN LOCAL FOOTBALL ,TOO MANY MANAGERS STICK TO 1 FORMATION BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY 1 THEY KNOW ,NO DOUBT ABOUT IT FORMATION CHANGES CAN WIN/LOSE GAMES......JUST INTERESTING THAT THERE ARE SO MANY SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT ON HOW FOOTBALL IS PLAYED.

It's interesting that none of the above have said which team they are. Perhaps if they identified their club others might be able to give a valid opinion on whether these systems worked as claimed.

Last season at HELSTON we tried to focus on what we did when we did not have the ball, defended from the front and tried to be fluid - I agree, players have to have a level of intelligence and fitness to be a fluid side - if a wide midfielder for example is not seeing the ball etc then he must have the brain to go get it - its all about making it happen rather than wait for it to happen. Yes individual ball play is crucial but without fitness you will be found out - or else there wold be lots of 45-50 year olds still playing.

A lot of teams we played dont communicate to each other and a word can always travel faster than a player and/or the ball!!!

I havent got a full team as of yet but I've already planning potential systems with the definates & possibles I will end up with. Got a few freindlies to try things out just cant wait to get sarted. I think at our standard you need one out & out goal scorer and some one he can feed off/work closely with up top

I havent got a full team as of yet but I've already planning potential systems with the definates & possibles I will end up with. Got a few freindlies to try things out just cant wait to get sarted. I think at our standard you need one out & out goal scorer and some one he can feed off/work closely with up top

I like the way you play..... haha

Calstock 2nds

we tried to concentrated on keeping the ball and moving it well. We do lack communication but the most frustrating thing is when you are asking for a short simple pass and the player ignores it and luanches the ball up and out of play.

Find alot of players at this level try the difficult option, then want to watch the pass.

Nothin beats a defending player better than a quick 5-10 yard burst as soon as you've made a pass. They are concentrating on watching what you have just done with the ball rather than what your doing at that moment.

A keeper, decent centre half and a 40 goal a year striker will put you near top of most leagues in junior football, regardless of football you play. We all thunk we're knocking the ball around well when we're playing, but when actually watching there's not much quality to watch at all

A keeper, decent centre half and a 40 goal a year striker will put you near top of most leagues in junior football, regardless of football you play. We all thunk we're knocking the ball around well when we're playing, but when actually watching there's not much quality to watch at all

Surely this topic dovetails into the old debate of why people are playing - some just want to have a laugh with their mates and others take it a little more seriously and apply themselves. Will have to look in my 40-goal-a-season player box to see if I have any left ha ha

We switched to a 3-2-3-1-1 half way through last season. Out of the last 12 we W10-D1-L1. Mainly due to our shortage of defenders and only havin 1 striker. Works though and as a centre midfielder i know it confuses and frustrates the other sides who mainly play 4-4-2.

We played against you when you fielded something like this and it caused our 4-4-2 line-up problems, especially in the middle so certainly agree with you on how it can works against that system. We switched to 4-3-3 at half time and it became a lot easier for our midfield. Plus our wingers stretched your defenders and opened up the final third more for us, but your boys played a great game against us and the 3-3 score was definately a fair reflection of the game overall. Look forward to more clashes this season in Duchy 3!

Wally6 still trying to work out your formation,3-2-3-1-1 is that 3 keepers 2 defenders 3 midfielders a striker with another playing just behind? or is it a keeper a defender 3 in midfield 3 strikers with two other strikers playing just behind them? i should think you def confused a few sides

Lol. Not my system, i just break up play and keep the ball moving in the middle of the park.

Keeper. 3 at the back. Two holding midfielders. Then 3 midfielders (of which 2 are wide). An attacking midfielder/number 10 given a free role then a main striker.

System means there is nearly always 5 defending and the same attacking.

had to model the team around the players we had. Without playing people in positions which didnt suit them.

It's essentially a 3-5-2 (with 2 holding midfielders, 2 attack minded wing backs and a 1 deep lying CF) which will do well on a narrow pitch because of the density of players in the central midfield area, however on a larger pitch or against a 4-5-1 that uses the wings (through attacking Fullbacks bringing the ball into the attacking half) it will struggle.

That said if the 3-5-2 uses one of it's strikers to shut down the FB's as they bring the ball forward it can be highly effective especially against a conventional 4-4-2.

I've coached both systems and one of the key areas was the FB posistion IMO.

The size of pitch hasnt affect us to be honest. Our pitch isnt small and we find it works better as we can stretch teams and exploit the larger gaps. I believe we had the 2nd best defensive record in our league but that maybe because every1 works back and we r very resiliant. Alot of hard working players. Apart from the main striker who admits hes a lazy git.

We played against you when you fielded something like this and it caused our 4-4-2 line-up problems, especially in the middle so certainly agree with you on how it can works against that system. We switched to 4-3-3 at half time and it became a lot easier for our midfield. Plus our wingers stretched your defenders and opened up the final third more for us, but your boys played a great game against us and the 3-3 score was definately a fair reflection of the game overall. Look forward to more clashes this season in Duchy 3!

looks like we'll be seeing you at your place for the first game of the season.

Thinking of adopting our own style at holmans this year and calling it "park the bus" it's not very adventurous but if we can pull off 38 0-0 draws in the combo itwill give us a nice mid table position and 16 more points then last year and 30 exciting nil nillers in trelawny 3 Could gain promotion going by last years trelawny 3 mass exodus upwards

I will leave it up to your expert knowledge to figure out the formation when playing "park the bus"

Thinking of adopting our own style at holmans this year and calling it "park the bus" it's not very adventurous but if we can pull off 38 0-0 draws in the combo itwill give us a nice mid table position and 16 more points then last year and 30 exciting nil nillers in trelawny 3 Could gain promotion going by last years trelawny 3 mass exodus upwards

I will leave it up to your expert knowledge to figure out the formation when playing "park the bus"

Double or single deck bus?

I've been inspired by the England system: Fullbacks who wish they had the skill to be wingers, playing the ball to wingers who don't have the skill to cross, over/under(* delete as appropriate) hitting crosses to forwards who can't score. Should see us ok while there is no expectations on us, but any sign of any confidence in us and we are done for :wacko:

Single obviously!!! Double decker means players standing on each others shoulders and I can't be arsed filling out the health and safety forms!!! :)

If I wasn't busy with Phoenix I'd be over to watch the spectacle. Was going to make a joke about it cutting the mustard but can't be bothered...