Cornwall Football Forum

AFC St Austell vs Truro City - Friday 13th July (Pre-Season Friendly)

Afc St Austell welcome (Blue Square Bet South Divison) Truro City to Poltair park to kick of both teams pre-season campaign.

Kick off is 7.30pm and it is £4.00 for adults and £2.00 for children.

This is a chance to see Nanks & Kelvins new signings in action as well as last years players who have committed themselves to AFC St Austell for another season.

Yeah looking forward to it see you on Friday, just hope we dont get much more rain as the pitch is quite soft at the moment!!!

Another deluge at the moment, the pitch will no doubt cut up badly and more rain tomorrow is forecasted. Got to be a real chance that the fixture is in doubt.

Sorry folks unfortunately we have had to cancel the game as the weather has beaten us, I would like to thank everyone for their help and support for getting the pitch, clubhouse and surrounding area looking so good. Have to look forward to the opening fixture against Newquay on the 10th August.

Guest Monty

Its a real shame to call a quality pre season fixture off, But at the same time the work that has gone into the pitch and surroundings is second to none and in this day and age you have to somewhat protect that. I was really looking forward to it as one of the officials and the crowd would of been a good size.

With the pitch looking good and the Poltair slope to assist drainage, I was surprised the game was called off over 30 hours before the scheduled kick off - just goes to show what 20mm of rain can do.

You would'nt be suprised if you lived here.

Mountaineer, you would not be suprised if you were down here today, it did not suprise me as it was the most sensible thing to do.

It was bad enough when I came down for three games in April, then it was Rain, Rain, Rain, it doesn't stop raining up here but I think yours must be wetter :) - The Poltair slope use to ensure games were played when it rained, so much for global warming.

Good luck to St Austell, by all accounts a lot of work has been put in improving a lot of things.

With the pitch looking good and the Poltair slope to assist drainage, I was surprised the game was called off over 30 hours before the scheduled kick off - just goes to show what 20mm of rain can do.

Mountaineer, you would not be suprised if you were down here today, it did not suprise me as it was the most sensible thing to do.

It was bad enough when I came down for three games in April, then it was Rain, Rain, Rain, it doesn't stop raining up here but I think yours must be wetter :) - The Poltair slope use to ensure games were played when it rained, so much for global warming.

Good luck to St Austell, by all accounts a lot of work has been put in improving a lot of things.

Mountaineer, nobodies saying the pitch is waterlogged and unplayable. If this was a cup/league fixture it would almost certainly be played. A lot of work has gone into getting the pitch looking the way it is now, and it would be a shame to spoil all that hard work on a friendly before the season even gets underway. Clubs struggle to keep grass on their pitch through winter without turning it into a mud bath in the summer! Hopefully we will actually have a summer next year, and the fixture can be played then. Good luck to Truro for the coming season.

Mountaineer, nobodies saying the pitch is waterlogged and unplayable. If this was a cup/league fixture it would almost certainly be played. A lot of work has gone into getting the pitch looking the way it is now, and it would be a shame to spoil all that hard work on a friendly before the season even gets underway. Clubs struggle to keep grass on their pitch through winter without turning it into a mud bath in the summer! Hopefully we will actually have a summer next year, and the fixture can be played then. Good luck to Truro for the coming season.

Leaner, I agree with you, pre season games are only practice sessions, months of hard work can be undone in minutes.

As for summer I think that may arrive on 18th August 2012, we usually get summer for the start of the football season.

The only summer we've had this year was the week I was in Portugal, I went away for the sun and it was hotter here.