Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny Promotions/Relegations?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would of thought with most of the divisions a team or two short of the 14 origanally planned per division, to bring them back up to 14 again it would be hard to relegate anyone this year. Otherwise if two teams were relegated there would be a need to bring up 5 or 6 teams up from the division below to make it up to 14, which in my opinion would be to many. The only way i think there should be relegation is if a team such as Madron res, who have lost every game this season wish to go down. Only my opinion - Discuss?

Just looking at the maths to go with my earlier post, to keep all divisions at 14, if two were promoted from div 1 to premier it would require 3 up from div2 to 1, 3 up from div 3 to 2. 4 up from div 4 to 3 and 5 up to div 5 from 6. Therefore it would leave div 6 with only 5 teams, so need at least 5 new teams to make divvy 6 worthwhile. Maybe make div 4 and 5 smaller to keep 6 with a good few? Or shuffle it all around again and put 16 in all the top divisions and get rid of divvy 6?

If no one is relegated what is the point of the league competition - teams end up where they are because they are too good or too bad to be in that division and should be moved - will make a mockery of the whole league if teams win a couple of games all season and stay where they are.

I think they should accept the new applicants into the league and then if possible do away with Div 6 by increasing the number of teams in the leagues above. Perhaps get some of the cup competitions out of the way at the beginning of the season so the league matches dont get back-logged?

I agree with Le Boss, there has to be relegation to start to even the leagues out after the combining fo the leagues, personally I would rather see 4/5 go up as they have been strong in their league and a couple relegated as thay have been too weak in their league.

The Premier currently has 12 teams.

If Holman SC and Penzance are relegated from the Combination League to be replaced by Goonhavern and Ludgvan that still leaves 12 teams.

Two teams,Carharrack and Mousehole,relegated to Division 1,that will leave ten teams.

Constantine and Redruth United have earned promotion then to bring the Premier League up to 14 teams,third and fourth placed St.Keverne and Perranwell Reserves could be promoted.

Obviously a bias opinion but the Premier Division already had two teams drop out at the start of the season leaving 14 out of 16 teams. If you were to relegate two from the Premier Division then would that mean 4 teams come up from Division 1?

Personally, I would scrap Division 6, and boost all divisions to 16.

Assuming 4 new teams accepted, namely Camborne Park, Gwinear Res, Helston 3rds, Heamoor.

This gives 93 teams, with the Premier and Div 1 brought up to 14 teams, Div 2 to Div 6 each 13 teams.

Following the principles

- 2 Up / 2 Down to keep same number of teams

- 3 Up / 2 Down to add 1 team

- 3 Up / 1 Down to add 2 teams

- 4 Up / 1 Down to add 3 teams

New line ups then become

Premier 14 teams

Pz Res & Holman from Combo (to replace Goonhavern & Ludgvan promoted)

Constantine, Redruth & St Keverne promoted from Div 1

Div 1 14 teams

Mousehole Res relegated from Premier

Helston Res, Lizard, West Cornwall & Stithians promoted from Div 2

Div 2. 13 teams

Trevenson relegated from Div 1

Culrose Res, Fal Ath Res & Wendron Res promoted from Div 3

Div 3. 13 teams

Trispen relegated from Div 2

Wendron 3rd, Ruan Minor & Mawnan Res promoted from Div 4

Div 4. 13 teams

St Agnes Res relegated from Div 3

West Cornwall Res, Hayle 4th & Wendron 4th promoted from Div 5

Div 5. 13 teams

Madron Res & Constantine Res relegated from Div 4

Four Lanes & Redruth Ath & Marazion Blues promoted from Div 6

Div 6. 13 teams

Trevenson Res & Ludgvan Res relegated from Div 5

Camborne Park, Gwinear Res, Helston 3rd & Heamoor (new teams)

Dont see why we cant scrap Div 6 and then just promote more from the divisions above and then push all the remaining Div 6 into Div 5 with the new teams.

That could make 3 divisions of 16 and 3 of 15 teams.

Think most teams want 16 in the league cos there was lots of moans about blank saturdays as it stands

I think skippy's "principles" for prom/rel are exactly what the new league needs. I does take time for some clubs to find their natural level. I would further advocate that requests for double prom/rel should be considered in the early years. I sympathise with the organisers but surely agreeing the size of each division must be the starting point for any meaningful discussions.

Think it would be unfair to the teams in Division 6 who won the league and runners up then to have all the other teams pushed up aswell, surely then it wouldnt feel like being promoted because they would be playing the same teams. Some teams have lost every game and deserve to be relegated because they clearly are not good enough for that level of football but it does mean promoting 3 or 4 teams from the lower division to balance the leagues out.

Personally I believe that this season has gone extremely well, yes there were times (weeks) when clubs had no game, but in general from merging both leagues into one and teams dropping out before the beginning of the season - it's been good!

My point is, that it is going to take at least one more season or possibly two, too sort out this league and balance the merger of the Mining / Falmouth leagues. It may even mean that Division six this year is removed and the leagues increased in size to 15/16. This will only be known and announced at the AGM. Personally, I don't believe that local football can support 7 divisions in the Trelawny League (my opinion only).

I played div 6 this season and there were 3sides that stood out, fourlanes, redruth athletic and marazion! If you scrap div6 then I think these 3sides deserve a crack at div 4, it would not be fair to expect them to play the same teams and again be in the bottom league after fourlanes won the league, athletic finished 2nd and marazion finished 3rd and won both league cups!

The merger was always going to take a few seasons to settle down. As far as jumping or relegating 2 leagues is concerned that is just ridiculous. Just give the merger time to settle and every team will find their level within a few seasons.

Think it would be unfair to the teams in Division 6 who won the league and runners up then to have all the other teams pushed up aswell, surely then it wouldnt feel like being promoted because they would be playing the same teams. Some teams have lost every game and deserve to be relegated because they clearly are not good enough for that level of football but it does mean promoting 3 or 4 teams from the lower division to balance the leagues out.

That is why I am advocating the of agreeing the division numbers first, then taking any opinion or emotion out of the process by applying the following rules starting with the Trelawny Premier, working down to division 6

- 2 Up / 2 Down when the division size is to remain

- 3 Up / 2 Down to increase by one

- 3 Up / 1 Down to increase by two

- 4 Up / 1 Down to increase by three

Applying the formula, the Premier division for example is to increase by 2 from 12 to 14 clubs, therefore 3 Up / 1 Down applies. i.e. Mousehole relegated to Div 1, Constantine, Redruth & St Keverne promoted from Div 1.

This leaves Division 1 with 11 clubs, requiring three clubs to get to 14 clubs. ie. 4 Up from Div 2, 1 Down to Div 2. The process is followed systematically down to Div 6. Using that formula the bottom team (often bottom two) gets relegated from each division. The number of promotions vary from 2 to 4 depending on the division size, which is pre-determined following the number of new clubs accepted.

For extra large leagues such as the Mid-Sussex league containing no less than 13 divisions, there is some merit in allowing new clubs to be promoted more than one division at a time. A new club would otherwise take 6 years to even get halfway up the system! With the Trelawny League being 7 divisions, most teams will find their level after a couple of seasons being promoted or relegated one division at a time. Suggest not try and complicate matters by introducing 'double' promotions.

Article in Falmouth Packet today indicates:

- Two up, Two Down is the rule

- All teams that withdrew did so before fixtures announced - meaning they dont count in relegation. So still two relegated from each division but numbers will 'probably' be made up with extra promotion slots

By my reckoning with 2 down definitely from each division, as we go down the divisions it could be 6-7 clubs promoted in order to get up to 14 clubs each division.

I have just spent some time trying to juggle the numbers to even up the leagues and to do away with Div 6 to make six leagues working on the premise that there are several teams applying to join this year.

How about relegating just 1 team from each division with the exception of Div 4 - all the other leagues have a team who only gained single figure points and Div 4 did have Madron Res in before they withdrew - and promote teams to make the divisions bigger. Dont think 6 or 7 clubs should be promoted but more than 2 over the next few seasons? Cant see how it can all be achieved in one season!!!

Article in Falmouth Packet today indicates:

- Two up, Two Down is the rule

- - All teams that withdrew did so before fixtures announced meaning they dont count in relegation. So still two relegated from each division but numbers will 'probably' be made up with extra promotion slots

By my reckoning with 2 down definitely from each division, as we go down the divisions it could be 6-7 clubs promoted in order to get up to 14 clubs each division.

looking back at my trelawney league fixture list 2011/12, 3rd of september has Penryn playing Robartes so both premier league teams were included then. otherwise i would of thought there would of been an ajustment at the Agm.

I would prefer Skippy's proposal of 1 down and 3 up but would also like to see at least 14 in each division.

I have just tried that theory and it leaves the bottom divisions with not enough teams coming up. How about top 3 divisions having 15 teams with one being relegated and three divisions of 16 with one being relegated which loses div 6 and div 5 with 5 spaces for new applications making 93 or to make it an even number 6 spaces for new applicants in div 5.

bit unfair le boss even if it is tounge in cheek.

this league will take a few seasons to settle down we all knew that from the start "Rome was not built in a day".

having been to all the meetings before hand i know how much work the committeee put in.i personally just wish they listened to the clubs about the size of the leagues but!!! it was not their fault when teams pulled out.

i know that the mining league clubs voted against 14 team leagues and proposed 16 teams.but because of the composition of the new committee it was turned down.but that is now history we must move on and be positive.

just look at the south west premier league and how long have they been going 4 or 5 years.at last a team has taken promotion so hopefully it will encourage others to follow.helston have done exceptionally well after their promotion from the combo so things are moving forward and now we can only hope with two teams being promoted to the combo that the merry-go-round will start to get faster and more clubs will jump on board.

lets look more at the posatives that the negatives a build our league into one we are proud of :c::D :drink:

Still can,t get my head around it why you have to relegate teams when there is space for the teams in the promotion places below to come up!

The league will say that the bottom 2/3 MUST be relegated,but what gives the team a right to come up when they finish outside a promotion place?

Would the Combo league still relegate two teams IF only one team in a promotion place was eligable to come up?would they give third placed team a promotion? no, so why do it in the lower leagues?

Should Carharrack (2nd from bottom) for example play Perranwell (4th) from the league below in a playoff to either stay/join the premier division

Next season if 5 teams were to pull out of the premier div, relegate another two, over half the div 1 teams would gain promotion.

leaving last years AGM there were 14 teams in the premier div it,s not Carharrack or Mousehole's fault that teams withdrew now they are going to suffer from another clubs demise.

Still can,t get my head around it why you have to relegate teams when there is space for the teams in the promotion places below to come up!

The league will say that the bottom 2/3 MUST be relegated,but what gives the team a right to come up when they finish outside a promotion place?

Would the Combo league still relegate two teams IF only one team in a promotion place was eligable to come up?would they give third placed team a promotion? no, so why do it in the lower leagues?

Should Carharrack (2nd from bottom) for example play Perranwell (4th) from the league below in a playoff to either stay/join the premier division

Next season if 5 teams were to pull out of the premier div, relegate another two, over half the div 1 teams would gain promotion.

leaving last years AGM there were 14 teams in the premier div it,s not Carharrack or Mousehole's fault that teams withdrew now they are going to suffer from another clubs demise.

No more than 2 sides will be relegated in any division. The only decision to be made is when a division needs to fill one or more vacancies. The options are to have extra promotions or relegate less than two. To fill one vacancy I would promote the 3rd placed club, then if another place available reprieve the 2nd bottom side, then promote the 4th place side. Using this method

- the bottom team in all divisions is relegated.

- from Div 4 and 5 the 2nd bottom team is also relegated

- the top two teams in all divisions promoted

- from Div 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 the 3rd placed team is also promoted

- from Div 2 the 4th placed team is also promoted

so because penryn and robartes folded there sides in the prem it has cost mousehole and carharrack a premier league position. this seems very crap. why not just do what everybody at clubs have spoke to and just promote 2 sides from div 1 and relegate non. simples really saves numbers and hassle but we all know nothing is ever done with an easy option in cornwall.

if ur going to the agm take the next day off cause its gonna be a very long night with teams fighting for there rights!!

so a win v mousehole is 3 points a win v aggie is 3 points a draw away to the champions goonhavern is a point. 2 draws v st.buryan is 2 points a draw with mawnan thats 1 point. and 3 points v gulval . thats the results i can think of straight away which i think is all are results. so i think ur maths is really crap tbh. so not being competitive is drawing with the league champions away from home???

No more than 2 sides will be relegated in any division. The only decision to be made is when a division needs to fill one or more vacancies. The options are to have extra promotions or relegate less than two. To fill one vacancy I would promote the 3rd placed club, then if another place available reprieve the 2nd bottom side, then promote the 4th place side. Using this method

- the bottom team in all divisions is relegated.

- from Div 4 and 5 the 2nd bottom team is also relegated

- the top two teams in all divisions promoted

- from Div 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 the 3rd placed team is also promoted

- from Div 2 the 4th placed team is also promoted

Although i wouldn't like to see either team in the premier division go down (Carharrack or Mousehole), because i feel Robartes and Penryn were voted into the division at last years Agm, so they count as 13th and 14th team. Same with other divisions who had teams pull out after the divisions were finalised.

I think Skippy's plan would probably satisfy the majority. Good work Skippy.

Thats no problem le boss, i think the league need to have a real look at the situation cause coming out saying 2 up 2 down is a total load of rubbish and i think everyone belives this. due to its not the fact cause its 2 down 6 up 2 down 4 up .

everyone has a right to go up and fight in a new league but the main thing everybody can see here is that teams pulling out early have effected the league in a dramatic fashion with teams that stayed in the league and fulfilled there fixtures and didnt pull out.

i feel it woudnt be right for any team in prem to go down and it would be very harsh on mousehole and ourselves.

Le Boss did your first team fail to make promotion because they were not in a promotion place? yet you want teams in the trelawney league promoted when they are not in promotion places!!!!!!

also who,s to say that the teams promoted that wer,nt first or second in their respective leagues are goiung to fair any better than teams unfairly relegated