Cornwall Football Forum

Happy Birthday cornishteddyboy and family!!!

Anita I'm 52

Spent my first few years living in Kenya (old man was in RAF and was fighting the Moa-Moa, which was their nationalist movement. Used to go to school in an armoured convoy. School had armed guards and between each building was tunnels of chicken wire for us to walk through so if they threw hand grenades they couldn't get close to us if they exploded. ) then lived in Scotland followed by a spell in Hereford.

Been in Cornwall since '69, and as that's over 25 years I claim Cornish Nationality. Been watch Pz since 1975-76 and in that time the only thing I've seen us win is 1 Senior Cup, so you lot count yourselves lucky if your team wins things!

In 1975 I was living in Praa Sands and I got myself a motorbike and thought, hell I can now follow a football team home and away so who shall I support. I tossed a coin in the air and said heads for Helston, tails for Penzance as I lived half-way between and poor me, Penzance won so I've slaveleshly followed them ever since.

Must have seen over 1600 matches since of which 650 have been following the 2nd team around.

One day we'll bring back to the glory days Fiery Jack! Remember the days when there used to be a gang of about 20 us behind the top goal half drunk so we couldn't remember the game the following day. Jimmy Dann sittingin the stand demanding 10p extra just to park our bums. We even had season tickets, mine are still in the attic.

Happy days

One of the best days was when played Yovil Town in the FA Cup and lost 7-2.

The ref blew to start and they ran strait up the pitch and scored. Within seconds we equalised and for about 20 mins an upset was on the cards before they scored again. For those 20mins I was in heaven hoping the hope.

Does anyone remember Donny the lad that couldn't bend his knees so walked with 2 sticks. I remember going to a match in the wilds in the Senior Cup and we took the train. Got off at Par and then onto the Newquay train. Got to this little tiny station half-way on the line where we had to get off and the platform was to short so we had to walk along the train to getoff but we were too slow and it started off so we ended up at Newquay and had to catch the bus back to where-ever it was. Great days.

Or going to Helston when their toilet used to be nothing more than some corregated iron shed bent around just to hide your modesty. I remember someone had spray paint and the loo finished with a new colour. The things we used to do. Naughty.

Going to Millbrook in the Senior Cup when their ground was just a field and our goalie rolling the ball out and it rolled all the way down the sloping pitch without stopping. It was like Perranwell's ground.

Another time I won the half-time raffle somewhere (I can't remember where) and it was a bottle of sherry. In those days I used to drink either Guiness or neat vodka so I thought sherry was a drink for "poofs" and bragged to my mates that I could drink a whole bottle. So during the 2nd half I downed the bottle. I got on my motorbike and woke up next morning half-way home lying in behind the hedge of a field with my motorbike beside me. I must have started riding home and gone through the open gate of this field and crashed out in the hedge. Bloody freezing cos it was winter. Haven't touched a drop of sherry since!

I aught to write a book full of football stories!

My season ticket is around somewhere as well, and my Penzance AFC watch (unique as far as I know, a wedding present from John Mead and the committee) is on my wrist at all times to remind me of the club I'm shackled to.

I never really stood behind the goal: I always preferred to be at the side with Dad, looking on (after all in my playing days - Marazion Blues, Lancaster University, National Youth Theatre and Tooting 3rds - that was where I was most of the time). There used to be a really old bloke who took the money for the stand at Penlee before Jimmy did. Personally I reckon we should still charge to sit: any money is welcome after all.

I remember the Yeovil game well. Oh well, no F.A. Cup for a while now: not that it is relegation or anything...

Guest Ronin

between each building was tunnels of chicken wire for us to walk through so if they threw hand grenades they couldn't get close to us if they exploded. )

Sounds like the preparations for a local derby anywhere in Cornwall! :D

LOL

Talking about local derbies, the one place I used to enjoy going too to watch Pz in the Combo was Pendeen. If you go to St Just or Mousehole in those days there was too much rivalry on the pitch and sidelines but at Pendeen you never got that. Great friendly club with a decent clubhouse and pint. Shouldn't have been thrown out of the league. Still going strong if you've a spare saturday.

Another good pint and clubhouse was Mullion. It's a pity the club have fallen on rough times. At one time the clubhouse used to be buzzing on a saturday lunchtime.

Culdrose used to have the bar open for a pint before and during the matches. Now your lucky to get a brew of tea over there.

All these clubs need support to keep them going. How many clubs have fallen by the wayside due to lack of backroom support.

Cor I do go on don't I?

Have a good birthday CTB.

I am intrigued you are a BRORA ROVERS/RANGERS fan(the only one in Cornwall/England)

What is your connection and can you remember the setup and the football standard.

As I am laid up with a broken arm and cannot open my atlas I will punch in Brora on the multi map to see where the hell it is.

I did look in on Fort William FC last summer and that is on the the other coast to Brora but both play in the Highland League-and our SW clubs complain about travel.

The chances are 48,000,000 to 1 as told to us by the Guiness book of records years ago.

Brora Rangers are in the Scottish Highland League. As myoldman wasin the RAF we lived at RAF Kinloss (when they used to flyWellington bombers,fly Vulcan bombers and the earlyNimrods). Kinloss is part of Forres (between Inverness and Aberdeen) and have a team called Forres Mechanics. Well a friend of mine's dad used to support Brora Rangers and would occasionally take us to watch their matches. Brora is about 2/5 of the way between Inverness and John O'groats. Both teamsin the Scottish Highland League. Standard of Brora is like the best teams in the SWL. Best teams in the Highland League are probablyon par with Western League Premier Div.

Ground was by the seaside and had a stand that looks like the one at Bodmin Town. Cost this season to watch is £6 each or £7 for the stand

We used to also go and support Forfar Athletic!

In 1975 I was living in Praa Sands and I got myself a motorbike and thought, hell I can now follow a football team home and away so who shall I support. I tossed a coin in the air and said heads for Helston, tails for Penzance as I lived half-way between and poor me, Penzance won so I've slaveleshly followed them ever since.

Must have seen over 1600 matches since of which 650 have been following the 2nd team around.

One day we'll bring back to the glory days Fiery Jack! Remember the days when there used to be a gang of about 20 us behind the top goal half drunk so we couldn't remember the game the following day. Jimmy Dann sittingin the stand demanding 10p extra just to park our bums. We even had season tickets, mine are still in the attic.

Happy days

sorry mate 50yrs to be a cornish national,jimmy dann used to change my nappy when he lived in truro and was freinds with my ma and paa :thumbsup:

And to think you could`ve follwed Porthleven, even better choice! lol