Cornwall Football Forum

7 days notice of approach rule

Perhaps a bit of serious discussion lads. Should the rule be abolished as very few clubs over the years have ever abided by the rule and again its raising its head. We all know that managers ring players up, mainly players they have had before, against the rule - yes.

This time of year in the past, Club Secretaries would speak to the other Club Scretary and say, we know what is happening ok this time in the early season, but dont do it again or we will complain to FA.

The problem being the FA very rarely, if ever, took action as it is always difficult to prove.

We seem to have clubs that try to take action and those that do nothing - shouldn't we all be singing the same tune.

The main purpose of the rule is to alert a Club that someone is after one of their players and they have seven days to persuade them to stay (or to go in some instances!) The initial, illegal approach will never be stopped and seems to have become an accepted part of the game.

Thats what the law says kevin, my point is no one takes any notice and too difficult to prove before the FA, whether it be the 7, 21 or 28 days mentioned in the rule. Its a bit like prostitution, its illegal, you will never stop it, so why not legalise it. Before all the wags come back, I mean the 7 day rule, of course!!!!

Yes I agree with you John. But it seems a bit pointless having rules which are not possible to 'police' or abide by, therefor the leagues should make representation to the FA to scrap the rule or make it more workable as PH explained on Peninsula Web. cheers

Go on, explain. How do you make representation to the FA?

In Cornwall, you could try through your Council Representative the next time he turns up at your club or League meeting.

You could send in a proposed Rule Change for consideration at the next AGM. Oh, I forgot, you can't do that any more.

No, I'm stuck. How would you do it?

And, since when has the fact that a rule doesn't make sense or is unworkable had any relevance?

Your right about making sense but as far as I am aware there are avenues open, the AGM's of the County FA are accessable, your own League is entitled to write to the FA, individuals can keep raising it. pressure can be brought one way or another, but its not likely as not many are that intersted. There happy to continue and not rock the boat.

Can somebody please clarify this for me?

Assuming that players have signed for a club in July and have played friendlies for that club.

If the manager were to be poached by another club (who has also signed players forms) before the season started could he then ask several of the players to join him at that club which incidently plays in another league, without adhearing to the 7 day approach rules?

Should the club that coersed him into moving have made a 7 day approach for his services?

Guest NORTHERNB*****D

I would of thought he could only take one player every month. reguards approaching a manager not sure what contract managers sign.

It could be fairly close gooner but in a few weeks time all will become clear, all the boys who havent settled will play elsewhere, all those that have will start to enjoy their football and managers will still come and go. I think the problems have been dramatically increased this season due to players being allowed to legally sign for 2 different clubs and therefore represent 2 or 3 different teams. It has made managing a lot harder!

(Not that I would know now)