Cornwall Football Forum

I'm glad Bodmin ain't going up. I would love 2 see em win the league 4 the next 5 years!!

It doesn't quite work like that; something we've found out the hard way.

We won the league several times in a row, as you know, but persistent lack of ambition led to many, many good, influential people turning their back on the club, and look where we are now.

Danblazey, were you one of the people 5 years ago onwards that were discouraging or incouraging St.Blazey to make the step up?

Do you believe if St.Blazey did make a move to play at a higher level you would be in the same situation that you find yourself in now?

Maybe clubs with lack of ambition should look at the likes of St.Blazey, and realise that by turning down promotion year on year, you could be harming your club in the long run?

Just a thought!

Could they instead join a more local league not FA controlled?
Surely that would be like the old South Western League however, Don't reckon the FA would allow your

new locally controlled league into their national competitions ie FA Cup & FA Vase if you go it alone.

I have said this time and time again on this forum but all i get in return is ridicule and abuse from Bodmin fans who seem to think i'm having a go at them, all i want is for Cornish football to be taken seriously and the clubs that can make this happen are the one's that continually finish top of the league by taking promotion within their budget. No doubt i will be called boring and thick again. What's the point of winning a level 6 league time and time again? The bloke who started this topic said he hope's Bodmin win the league for years, with that mentallity Cornish football got no chance, he should be hoping they keep winning leagues further up the system.

Could they instead join a more local league not FA controlled?
Surely that would be like the old South Western League however, Don't reckon the FA would allow your

new locally controlled league into their national competitions ie FA Cup & FA Vase if you go it alone.

I have said this time and time again on this forum but all i get in return is ridicule and abuse from Bodmin fans who seem to think i'm having a go at them, all i want is for Cornish football to be taken seriously and the clubs that can make this happen are the one's that continually finish top of the league by taking promotion within their budget. No doubt i will be called boring and thick again. What's the point of winning a level 6 league time and time again? The bloke who started this topic said he hope's Bodmin win the league for years, with that mentallity Cornish football got no chance, he should be hoping they keep winning leagues further up the system.

Hear ! Hear!

With regards 2 people on about the ground etc... & the problem with hard standing. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt Darren Gilbert own one of the biggest groundwork company's in the southwest. Surely it wouldn't cost him that much money?

I have no idea if he does or does not own a company, but, it would not cost him a penny............... sponsors or prize money from the league. Also why would he do it for nothing............. his company would have to charge for doing the work, therefore making a profit from the tender, if it went out to tender, but, seeing as they have no ambition to go higher its not worth asking about it.

If the team didn't want to take promotion after so many titles, then they should join the pub leagues instead. Winning titles means becoming successful, what's the point in competing in the same league over and over, you'll never improve. I understand that finance comes into this too, but with success and promotions comes support and sponsorship.

If the team didn't want to take promotion after so many titles, then they should join the pub leagues instead. Winning titles means becoming successful, what's the point in competing in the same league over and over, you'll never improve. I understand that finance comes into this too, but with success and promotions comes support and sponsorship.

Not much "support" at Bodmin...despite all their success 10 home games in the league this season have attracted attendances of under 100.

That's because they're not taking the promotion to a higher league. I don't think I worded my post correctly! I meant promotions means becoming successful, winning a title and not going up doesn't mean anything really. It just means you're playing in the same league you have beaten most of the teams already with a few new ones each year. Ones coming down, have come down for a reason, so can't be much of a challenge and ones coming up would need to prove themselves in that league.

Not much "support" at Bodmin...despite all their success 10 home games in the league this season have attracted attendances of under 100.

That's what happens when you know the Bodmin will win all the time this season only lost 2 games.most people want a challenging game of footy to watch.bodmin is to predictable people save their money and go elsewhere.same happens if you lose all the time.

The reason to stop anyone doing both, is the longevity of the moneyman! lets face it, there's not a club in Cornwall that could sustainably compete and any level higher than SWL without a moneyman.

Sponsors are getting more and more reluctant to part with cash, because if you're giving money over, you're going to want something in return. To put a team out in the SWPL, from Cornwall, you're looking at parting with near to £400 for a team that may only just survive. To compete in the league I reckon you're looking at doubling that figure!

So how do Plymouth Parkway get 300-400 more supporters from the Plymouth Argyle 4000-8000 catchment then ?

Jue perhaps you can be our increase the supporter man ?

I was slated on this forum many months ago after making the statement that there are so many people who follow football in Plymouth , but are not aware that the second biggest team exist at the level they currently play at.

Imagine what budget you would have with home crowds of 400-500 each home game ?

I follow Parkway home and away most games and enjoy the football and the day out.

Getting the supporters to support us instead of their "first" team is hard, very hard. You have to give them a reason to leave their first team, it can be done. I intend to be that very person you described. When the season starts again I hope to see at least an extra 100 people on Parkway. Work in progress, I've only just started so give me chance! :P

It's not only the crowds you need, you need support of local businesses on top of that. As I said, work in progress! :D

I was not suggesting the fans to swap teams , but to support when Argyle are away would be a great help.

I look forward to your ventures.

A flyer in the free weekly papers could be a good idea ?

Djm players get in free with an adult ?

An advertisment in the Plymouth Argyle programme ?

Just a few ideas.

Not sure how true it is but heard recently that Bodmin's ground is owned by the council (might be wrong don't quote me).

If so this could be an obstacle as regards ground development and therefore movement to higher leagues.

It's a shame Bodmin don't go up,they've already got the road network in place ,easy to get to from anywhere in the South West thanks to the A30.

Therefore meaning top players coming to Cornwall to play would probably stop there rather than travel further down the road.

Aberfalman mentioned about not having a system where clubs are forced to take promotion,I can't recall it happening in my lifetime but I wonder if a Pro club has ever turned down promotion and what the consequences were.