Cornwall Football Forum

Midweek Cup Finals?

Having looked at the fixtures, the LHC final between West Cornwall and Stithians is scheduled for Weds 2nd May at 6.15. Is there any specific reason for holding it midweek?

I've always known cup finals to be played on a Sunday, with 2 games being held at each venue. What's wrong with that this year? My gripe is, every player, no matter which cup it is, looks forward to a final. Its a great day out! With it being held on a Weds, you're asking people to travel from everywhere after a long day at work, then play in what may be their biggest game of the season! Then if you win it, its not like you can really celebrate it, as 95% of people involved will have to get up for work in the morning! People have to work for a living, its hard to take days off at the drop of a hat. I think having it during the week takes a lot away from the occasion. This is only my personal view, and not a view taken by West Cornwall FC.

Guest BenTheYeti

I think the difference has been the divisional cups, but obviously with the merge of FH and OAA this season, is there a problem of getting a completely neutral venue? For example, we always played our cup finals in one of two places, Illogan or Marazion. But would it be fair for a team from the Lizard or Newquay to travel that far down to play someone like Madron, Hayle etc.. so I'd imagine the finals have to be played in more.. central venues. And as mentioned above, with so many league games still going on until May 12th, makes it hard work for the groundsmen to get pitches in condition for a full weekend including a cup final.

Or maybe the CCFA just are spoilsports :P

Both leagues used to run their cups in a different way. The mining league a few years ago moved away from midweek finals and held theirs on a Sunday with 2 or 3 matches at the same venue the only tricky bit is finding a venue suitable to have extra changing rooms the Falmouth and Helston continued to have their finals on a midweek. Personally I preferred the Sunday ones as it used to be a great day out if you were lucky enough to make a final and also the gate would be larger as no other league fixtures would be taking place that day. It might be something for the clubs to discuss at the AGM........I have a feeling it could be a record breaking long meeting!!!! Lol

.. and there was me telling my lads on Wednesday evening that they were playing for a great day out as all cup finals win or lose are a great reward for all the hard work all season , meet late morning for brunch suited and booted then on to a final on a quality pitch great day out . It is only since that I find out it would be just another game crammed into a midweek fixture !!! What's that all about , pathetic no game again this Saturday yet we are playing Monday night , half the team unavailable due to work , bad enough to play a league game in these circumstances let alone a cup final after a 10 hour day on a building site rushing to get to the ground ten minutes before ko . :SM_carton:

Must admit im pretty infuriated with the mid week cup final desicions. Preferbly would like to wake from my slumber and focus fully on the game...however instead i will arrive at the game mentally and physically drained due to work commitments. Then afterwards, presuming the 'dron win, i cant even participate in a Tony Adams style lash up to celebrate a possible victory due to an early 8 am start the next day. Rabble rabble rabble ! !