Cornwall Football Forum

New rules for combo next year ?

I've heard this as well...

Cornwall has been chosen for the trial similar to guernsey having a change in law trial a couple of years ago.

Apparently it will apply to all leagues combination and below.

Sounds like a truly awful idea!!! It will turn into American football

some combo teams can only just raise 11 some games.

5subs is a poss but roll on roll off.

itll kill the game, refs cant keep up as it is, theyre struggling dealing with volunteer linesmen some concentrate others dont. who will police 22men on the pitch, only possibility will be with much injury time added i do think.

thoughts.....

I've been reliably informed that, Cornwall has been selected by the Football association to trial using five "Ro-Ro" subs in games below Step 7, over the next two seasons. The idea is to give more players time on the pitch by using substitutions throughout the game, rather than just giving them a token few minutes towards the end; to allow injured players time to recover without the team having to play with 10 men - and even to encourage older players to extend their careers in the knowledge that they can go off for a rest every now and then! Seems like a reasonable thing to try but I'm not sure how the change will conflict with Leagues' rules regarding subs - or is it just in County Competitions? Time will tell

Seems like a crazy idea, As already mentioned teams struggle to group together 11 players, also referee's have enough to deal with, I wounder how long it will take before there is controvesy regarding 12 players on the pitch when a goal is scored. I can see the reasoning behind it, but cannot see it working. :c:

The same was said when they first introduced subs, Young Percy; initially, a sub was only allowed if someone was injured and I'm sure there were many abuses of that system. I'm sure the refs will cope and It won't be compulsory to have 5 subs so teams can still survive with just 11 players if they so wish! Lets be positive and give it a go - at least then opinions can be formed from experience rather than expectation.

Come on guys you can't delude yourself with your pitch! It's one of the worst in the league! fact!

It does have a slope agreed but the parish council backed out of the levelling of it 10 years ago !!

We have to play on it every other week ... and as we have had some of the best footballing

teams in the league ( take the average results ) we would have done much better if we did

have a level pitch to play on !! :c:

That`s not a slope, that`s a gentle incline you should have seen the old Wycombe Wanderers ground Loakes Park, now that was a slope you had to put your foot on the ball at kickoff to stop it rolling away and a much higher level of football was played on it than we have in Cornwall.

seems like my views and ideas weren't so daft after all.

And druth66 if you had watched our game against Carharrack on Wednesday night, you would have though the gulf was massive between Combo and Trelawny Premier!!!

Trelawny league is probably better from what i've seen of the combo this year ;-(

As with all leagues Scoff, the top few are good enough to play in the league higher, Illogan, Goonhavern, Ludgvan, the rest of us would fight it out for a year and finish bottom 6!

As I've said before also, I think that this new ruling can only be good for players of our level, its all about time on the pitch and enjoying it. Granted, I'm not to sure it should be combo trying it out, but I suppose the reason for that, is that clubs are largely more organised and generally have a pool of 15 players each week to use, where at Junior football you could have 10, 9, 12 or whatever.

Also, you'd never end up with 12 on the pitch, cos roll on roll off substitutions still have to happen when theres a break in play

The indication given to me was that it would apply in all Leagues below Step 7 (SW Peninsula Div 1) so would include Combo, East Cornwall, Duchy & Trelawney Leagues - as well as County Cups I assume. Not sure if it will be compulsory or optional for the Leagues to adopt such changes, though would guess it would be the latter.

Why has this thread about an interesting (if not a bit radical) change suddenly turned into another "let's slag off Perranwell's pitch" session AGAIN? Perranwell's pitch is what it is - they're never going to change that or relocate so get over it!

As for the roll-on/roll-off situation (or "ro-ro" as John Mead calls it which has only succeeded in making me sing row, row, row your boat in my head) this just seems like an extension of what we already have in youth football right up to U18. As we already have 5 subs in the dug-out with only 3 ever going to be used at least it would save 2 guys going home disappointed because they didn't get on.

Should see Trelawney 6 Paul!!

With regards to the Combo, I can see it getting stronger in the coming years because players will have less interest in the travel of the leagues above.

I don't care what people say, over the course of a season the gulf between Combo and Trelawny is bigger than people think, granted over a couple of games, teams may beat those in a higher league, but over the course of the season it would even out.

The indication given to me was that it would apply in all Leagues below Step 7 (SW Peninsula Div 1) so would include Combo, East Cornwall, Duchy & Trelawney Leagues - as well as County Cups I assume. Not sure if it will be compulsory or optional for the Leagues to adopt such changes, though would guess it would be the latter.

If it is not compulsory then I presume the clubs get to vote on it meaning that if rules are followed it won't be part of the Combo rules until the season after or does the FA say if you vote yes you have to implement the change straight away?

I think this is a great idea.

How many clubs lose players because they have been sat on the bench for a couple of weeks & not had a run ?

With this ruling, if your lucky enough to have five subs, 4,3 or 2, at least, as a manager, you can get all these lads on the pitch at some stage, meaning they wont go running off to other clubs to get a game !

Tommy is right, all the way up through youth football you have roll on roll off subs so that all the kids involved get on the pitch. Only when we reach so called adult age do we start thinking ' if your good enough you will be in the team every week anyway ' !!!!

People just want to play football, &, at the level we are talking about here, the more we can get involved & playing every sat, the better !

As for saying ' how will referees cope ', surely the onus will be on the managers to work out how many players you have on the pitch !

Come on guys, this is not rocket science, YOU TAKE 1 OFF, YOU PUT 1 ON. DUH !

Why has this thread about an interesting (if not a bit radical) change suddenly turned into another "let's slag off Perranwell's pitch" session AGAIN? Perranwell's pitch is what it is - they're never going to change that or relocate so get over it!

As for the roll-on/roll-off situation (or "ro-ro" as John Mead calls it which has only succeeded in making me sing row, row, row your boat in my head) this just seems like an extension of what we already have in youth football right up to U18. As we already have 5 subs in the dug-out with only 3 ever going to be used at least it would save 2 guys going home disappointed because they didn't get on.

Dont get your knickers in a twist, it's only a bit of friendly banter, no malice is intended!!!

In that respect, clubs should really only ever have 3 subs on the bench. We had 7 on the bench a few weeks ago and of course you cant please everyone.

ro ro would just disrupt the game...not to mention the nightmare of the referee having to take a name every 5 mins the teams want to ro ro row row

why would he have to do that? the whole thing of ro ro is that you wouldn't need to take names would you? the disruption would be minimal, break in play a sub can happen. Not a problem.

I think possibly the amount of times you do make changes could be limited. I don't think it will make a whole difference anyway. Or if you wanted to get really technical about it, you couldn't make changes in the last 10 minutes or something.

I think its a great idea and one that will increase participation