Cornwall Football Forum

Is the County under 18's squad the strongest it could be?

Personally, I do not agree with Tommy Matthew's selection. There are a number of better players out there in both senior football and the Kernow Youth League that deserve a place in that squad, not just Newquay afc players.

For Example:

Jack James - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Jake Shaw - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Kegan McPhilbin - Porthleven and Helston

Paddy Crich - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Luke Osborne - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Bradley Leivers - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Ollie Morrison - Foxhole and Newquay

Scott Speer - St Agnes under 18s and mens

Harry Evans - Wendron and Penryn

Chris Shearer - St Agnes under 18s

Adam Williams - Truro Reserves

These players would do a better job.

What are YOU saying?

Let me know...

Hi Gambler - speaking from the perspective of the St Agnes players mentioned - I am sure you know they all were spoken to by their club regarding the Trials for the County Under 18's side and none of them decided to attend. Several of them were also given the info last season but didn't go. Unfortuntely however good a player you are (and of course I agree they are all superstars!) you won't get selected to play for the County side unless you go to the trials. We will never therefore sadly know whether they would/wouldn't have done a better job! So in answer to your question 'What are YOU saying?' I am saying I wish the players had attended the trials and then we would all know whether they were good enough to have done a better job.

No one can challenge the selection as Tommy Matthews can only select from those who go and trial.

Mandy x

Hi Aggie Maid - I do agree with you here, however, the county squad is constantly added to and updated throughout the season. If Tommy is giving players in the Peninsula who didnt trial a chance (such as Ed Wilton - brilliant player) why isn't he taking the time to watch the promising youngsters currently playing in the Combination league?

I feel the selection process is unfair on those playing below the Peninsula league.

Okay - you are on to one specific situation here and only Tommy could address that one - maybe Ed Wilton has attended a trial I don't know.

One of the requirements for the County side has to be that you are playing Senior level football - which not all those that you mention have been - I am sure Tommy will come back on and explain how ongoing additional selections (not necessarily specific to individuals) are made which may answer your query. Mandy

One player who i deffinetly think should grace the under 18 squad is a extremely talented right winger called Noah Whyatt who is learning his trade at the current Div 4 leaders Wendron 3rds. Possess great speed, skill and the determination to win the ball back. Without doubt a player who will leave his mark on the Cornish game for many seasons to come. Worth a look.

Yes I could do a better job. Firstly, I could do it full time and watch every game that's played every waking hour, similar to the National Team Managers.

However, I do not yet have that luxury and until I do I have to make do with attending as many games as I and others who help me can at weekends and evenings. We have a scouting system and I use this forum quite a lot to get news and updates on players. If anyone seems to be pulling up trees then we take a look.

Everyone has their own ideas of who they'd like to see in a representative team. Until you have to select it you'll never know if you were right! There are a number of players who were originally selected and chose not to take part either before our season started or during the season. I won't mention their names nor comment on their reasons for turning us down, but that happens.

If there are players playing well in SWPL and Combo, we are more likely to take the players at SWPL because they are playing a better standard of football each week and be able to adapt better to the speed of county matches better than Combo players. And before you start slating me I am not trying to be disparaging to Combo players!

I watch matches pretty much every week checking on players' form and looking at new players who escape the net of trials. My attention is often brought to players by others such as on this forum who are playing well and I try to watch them or get them watched.

At the end of the day, with nine years experience at this level I feel that we generally make good choices and try to develop the players while we have them. If we get the opportunity to work with players for two years then even better.

We have three UEFA B coaches and a very well qualified first aider so the players are supported well in all they do. Better than most club sides in Cornwall I would suggest.

People are more than welcome to suggest new players and critisise us all you like. We're honest working people doing what we love for no reward other than being passionate about the game, developing players and giving something back to the game which is the same for many others who read this forum.

Lastly, my job goes before the CCFA Committee each season. May I suggest you throw your hat in the ring if you'd like to give it a go next year. But be prepared for hours and hours of work!

Personally, I do not agree with Tommy Matthew's selection.

Simple solution - get out from behind your fake name and you do it! Oh,no - you won't, you'll just sit there and pass judgement on someone who does a fantastic job and enables our County to be represented at a time when other counties are withdrawing their U18 sides through lack of interest. As Aggiemaid and Tommy have both already said, the squad can only be selected from those young men who make themselves available- we cannot force them to play only offer them the opportunity. The 2 latest additions to the squad, Ed Wilton and Josh Burton, both attended the trials but for one reason or another were unsuccessful. Since then they have both worked hard to improve their game and now both have the chance to represent their County against other teams who play a very high standard of football. Tommy puts an immense amount of effort in to enabling our County to be represented and unless you are prepared to step up and claim you can do a better job I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself and get behind these lads.

I run one of the county schools teams (again voluntary!!) and picking a squad from a bunch of trialists is a very difficult job. Football is all about opinions and which ever squad you choose people will disagree. All I will say on this situation is that over the past few years the County Under 18 squad has performed admiraly and I often say to the people who knock my selection is can you name a player that is currently playing at a high standard of football (pro/semi pro /pen prem etc) that didn't represent the County side and there are not many!! When people give me names I can often name players that play in the same position currently playing at a higher standard.

Keep up the good work, Tommy and team.

Hi Grant - not sure bringing a St Agnes Under 18's V Newquay Under 18's into this conversation was necessary - they have played each other once in the cup and once in the League and each beaten each other once.

St Agnes has fielded 2 x Under 18's sides this season with almost 50 Under 18's presently signed on - one team currently sitting at the bottom of the League and the other currently 11 points clear at the top - with plenty of games still to play for all the teams in the League. Running two sides has been a major commitment for the club this season and jolly hard work - but it has kept a group of boys involved in playing football - probably around half of them are not presently playing Saturday football anywhere.

Both St Agnes and Newquay Under 18's have been great sides this season and I applaud all the clubs who have fielded Under 18's sides this year (let alone other youth teams.)

I also applaud Tommy for all the hard work he continues to put in and I understand the selection procedure as you will see from my earlier post. I have been frustrated that some of the boys who might have been capable of representing the County side didn't attend the selections but I can't do anything about that.

Keep up the good work Tommy and good luck to all those players selected - I am uncertain who Gambler is but his comments are his own.

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

I applaud the work you are doing at St Agnes and being able to run two Under 18 sides is a great achievement and undoubtedly taken many hours of hard work. My comment was more of a tongue and cheek comment made to "Gambler" who tends to suggest that many St Agnes players should be in the side instead of Newquay's player, but like I said not a direct bearing on the thread.

I'm sure that some of the boys mentioned are probably good enough (I don't know them but going on your info and the closeness of their game v Newquay) to play in the squad but it's a shame they didn't attend the trials!!

Keep up the great work you are doing.

Grant

Mickey, Great comments. Have you seen the Newquay first team this season? Most Under 18's would struggle to get into that side!!

Tommy has played a better standard than most of us on this forum so understands what is required to make a good player. As from being from Newquay, the answer is No!! Not sire where Tommy is from but he played most of his football at Falmouth!! Ps Newquay won 5-2 today against Fal Athletic with some of the youngsters on the score sheet!!

Having played under Tommy at county level, i fully agree with the decision he makes and is one of the best gaffers i have played under. At times people dont agree with his selection (Me at one point) but all his decisions are done for the right reasons and he takes the time to explain to players why there not being chosen, which a lot of managers dont! In my eyes the best manager for the job! 2 south west winners ina row 2009,2010 cant complain!

the beauty of football is that we are all entitled to our opinions.

fortunately for us in Cornwall tom matthews is the one that counts and we are very,very fortunate to have such an excellent coach and person to call upon and the youth of this county are in the best hands possible :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :c:

Mickey Carrick I don't believe that reserve sides are there to win games?

what are they there for then? just to turn up and waste there time? i dont think so ofcourse there playing to win games.....

Well Mickey maybe a reserve side is there to help youngsters to progress and to support the 1st team? The results are not important as long as performances are good. Sour skittles.

Frankie4, I couldn't agree with you more. It is important that if the Reserve team is supporting the first team then the first team results need to be good. Newquay seem to be achieving this at the present time. Gambler, perhaps you will let us know why the players or some of them who you mentioned never went for trials. You can have an opinion who you think should be in the County Youth squad, but it is unfair to criticise Tommy for not choosing the players you mentioned if they CHOSE not to attend the trials.

people from st agnes need to stop getting bitter that newquay have a better youth set up.

hahahahahaha, please quote where someone from St Agnes has been bitter about a youth set up, tool!

I dont believe the people from St Agnes are bitter about Newquay having a better youth set up, I think they are getting bitter about Newquay players being picked for the county side over the St Agnes players.

I think this should stop now please as it has seriously lost direction from where it started and is now not helping anyone.

Both St Agnes and Newquay have great youth set ups in their own ways and all clubs need to be encouraged and applauded for running all their teams however many and at whatever level - its a lot of hard work for the club and the coaches!

There is no issue between the two clubs just players with opinions and, as for County selection, please note my earlier quote that St Agnes players did not attend the Trials so cannot expect to be selected.

I am not sure who the authors of most of these comments are but if they are St Agnes players I would really like them to contact me to discuss their concerns rather than airing them on here. 07974 370666

Thanks Mandy (Chairman St Agnes AFC)

people from st agnes need to stop getting bitter

that newquay have a better youth set up.

That's because they have better players

hahahahahaha, please quote where someone from St Agnes has been bitter about a youth set up, tool!

I dont believe the people from St Agnes are bitter about Newquay having a better youth set up, I think they are getting bitter about Newquay players being picked for the county side over the St Agnes players.

For me playing county youth was perhaps the most enjoyable football i have played, tommy picks a squad he thinks that is the strongest avaliable to him. Its simple if you dont attend trials dont expect to be in the squad as football at any levels dosent work this way. Instead of criticising lets give tommy a well done for all the hard work he puts into the youth system, instead of stupid topics like this.

people from st agnes need to stop getting bitter that newquay have a better youth set up.

The first comment where they list about 8 st agnes players and says that other players should get picked not just newquay players. thats where

oh I see!!! Including, Truro, Porthleven, Newquay, Foxhole, Helston, Wendron, Penryn, that post you mean????

I would have thought that the original poster wasn't aware that the St Agnes players made themselves unavailable, so thats probably where the situation started.

but there's nothing to say they're bitter about Newquay's youth set up

oh I see!!! Including, Truro, Porthleven, Newquay, Foxhole, Helston, Wendron, Penryn, that post you mean????

I would have thought that the original poster wasn't aware that the St Agnes players made themselves unavailable, so thats probably where the situation started.

but there's nothing to say they're bitter about Newquay's youth set up

well is sure seems that way

Personally feel Gambler has done the right thing naming all those players as bar 2 or 3 of them they can all play next year and Tommy is now aware of there names. Players like Harry Evans who are only 16 could be playing peninsula next year and may have a better chance of playing in the county squad next year where players like Kegan who should DEFINITELY be in the team aren't and he will be too old next year. Maybe people should put young players names forward and comment about them on this topic?

Jed Mcardie & Harry Evans are two quality central midfielders for a start who both play for Truro College first team

Kegan mcphilbin definitely went to atleast 2 of the trials but couldn't make the other one's because he couldn't get the time off work. Explain to me how this is fair?

A big player that has missed out on county 18's football. It will be interesting to see how many of the players playing now will be playing a higher level than him in 2 or 3 years. Not many

Those of you who know anything about the development of footballers will know that players mature at different times and that some of the players who are not playing County Youth football will indeed end up playing a higher standard eventually, that's a fact. It's something we tell them at the trials actually! However, We don't pick a team for 3-4 years time, we pick it for this season and with an eye on next.

Having completed the week-long Youth Coaches Course at Keele University (a mandatory requirement to coach at a professional academy) I'm aware of how footballers develop and what to look for.

We can all throw names at those who pick squads but as I've said before, you don't know what your team would play like as you haven't had the chance to play them.

For the record: Keegan McPhilbin - great young player and I talk to his manager about his form. True, he couldn't make all the trials so I went to watch Porthleven play on three occasions to see him only to catch a brief glimpse of him making a substitute appearance once. Watched him again against Foxhole two weeks ago, once again only had 15-20 mins as a sub.

Harry Evans - another great talent who I've watched grow up and play at his club. Watched him on Saturday at Penryn along with others who are eligible and all did very well. Excellent prospects all of them and I get regular updates from those who watch them at their college.

Others mentioned in other posts have been watched and are regularly being monitored.

Do I have all the answers? No.

Do you? No.

Kegan mcphilbin definitely went to atleast 2 of the trials but couldn't make the other one's because he couldn't get the time off work. Explain to me how this is fair?

Keegan may be a good player, but he has to better than other players in that position. Has anyone thought that maybe there was a player who was better than him? Have the people who leave comments on here actually seen this years squad?

Hi Tommy, I don't really follow County football but now this topic has came up I am Intrigued to find out how long have you been coach of the County team who helps you (if anyone)how many games they play each season and whats our record?do they have sponsors if not how are they Financed.

Hi I've run the county team for the last nine seasons.

David Bray is the secretary and organises the fixtures with the other counties.

I am assissted by James Ross, Pete Foxwell and Sam Boston (physio/first aider). The coaches are all UEFA B qualified and Sam is a highly qualified physio and first aider who lectures in that subject at Truro College.

The number of games that we play has been reduced slightly as the South and West Counties have had at least two counties withdraw through lack of interest in recent years. You are also goverened by how far you go in the National Cup. We average 6-7 games per season.

In the last nine years we have made the final of the SW Counties Championship on three occasions and won twice in 2009 and 2010. We play teams from Berks and Bucks down to Devon but this year lost narrowly to Middlesex in the National Cup having beaten Huntingdonshire in the first game.

We have no sponsors although Paul Hider has previously sponsored our goalkeepers with excellent gloves from his company Onesport. The team is financed through the CCFA although any trip in the National Cup is paid for by The FA and not out of any local budget.

There is no longer a senior county side as the problem of clubs making players available to the county has been greatly affected by the rules of the step system. Basically clubs cannot now postpone a game to allow for county call-ups and therefore are reluctant to play without a full side. This is now having a greater affect yearly on the youth side that we select.

We hold a series of trials during September and October to select a squad from which we take 16 players to games.

I try to be as honest an transparent on this forum as I can so that everyone can see what we do and how we do it. Some don't agree but that's their prerogative and I completely respect that others may have a different idea as to who they would select.

I wish sometimes that those people would also respect that our coaching staff may hold a different view for different reasons and that there is and never has been any other agenda when selecting players other than believing that you've selected, players who are technically good enough to play at this level. Can play across a number of different positions. Play with intelligence and maturity. Can be given and carry out instructions. Can play to an attacking and defensive plan during games. Can pick up where the team left off inspite of a 12 week gap between matches. Play to a high tempo for 90+ minutes. Have a massive work ethic. Play with team and individual responsiblity. And would walk behind the bus to represent Cornwall, the same as the coaches would.

Ask the vast majority of players who have played in our teams, some have already added their comments to this thread, and I think you'll find that they have had a great experience.

I take this job very seriously. I get to work with the elite players at U-18 level and know that the information and way that we conduct ourselves has an impact on their future which comes with its own responsiblity. Please don't think that the decisions that we make are anything other than carefully thought through.

Tommy