Cornwall Football Forum

ID Cards Trelawny league.

Lets keep this in perspective, the figure of pence per mile is not just fuel it`s all the other running costs, ie, car tax, insurance, mot, maintenance, breakdown cover plus depreciation of the car, so that figure we receive of 36p per mile is not just the fuel, I also can assure you that to run my car costs me far more than 36p per mile.

but just think of all the managers and players who dont receive a penny - can honestly say that in my 33 years of football i have never had a penny - some will quite rightly say i was not worth it. Not saying you should not receive anything but as you say - lets keep it in perspective

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

le_boss, last saturday I travelled 32miles I charged the club £11, I know in a couple of weeks I have a 60mile round trip to do I will and have in the past charged £21, now as far as the Trelawney and Duchy leagues go that is about my maximum milage ( I do know that the appointments sec tries to keep the milage down where possible) so we do like to try and keep it sensible.

le_boss, last saturday I travelled 32miles I charged the club £11, I know in a couple of weeks I have a 60mile round trip to do I will and have in the past charged £21, now as far as the Trelawney and Duchy leagues go that is about my maximum milage ( I do know that the appointments sec tries to keep the milage down where possible) so we do like to try and keep it sensible.

thats all we can all hope for

Until I spoke with our Secretary this morning I thought this thread was a wind up. Whoever came up with this idea obviously hasn't thought it through logistically. Who is going to administer this at game level? Any secretary or manager will tell you they have enough to do before the game. FAKE ID go to Newquay on any Saturday evening and even the police have trouble telling fake from guenuine ID cards, such is today's technology. No one is going to carry ultra violet scanners on to the pitch! Who is going to get the ID cards up and running, 10/14 players can't even turn their kit the right way round for washing. Contrary to popular superstition it is not 100% proof of identity, photo's do not always look like the owner of the card and I don't see any one having the time or inclination to scan every face. Cheating on the sports field is a fact of life like it or not, ID cards are not going to solve it. In a perverse way if the opposition put in better players to succeed, it is a compliment to the other side. I can see that if this is passed, at a vote, then many of our valued administrators at club level will simply not put up with it, and will be lost to the game. It's hard enough now to get Secretaries and managers without burdening them with this. In short ID cards will add another layer of totally unneccessary administration. I urge you all to give it a NO.

Until I spoke with our Secretary this morning I thought this thread was a wind up. Whoever came up with this idea obviously hasn't thought it through logistically. Who is going to administer this at game level? Any secretary or manager will tell you they have enough to do before the game. FAKE ID go to Newquay on any Saturday evening and even the police have trouble telling fake from guenuine ID cards, such is today's technology. No one is going to carry ultra violet scanners on to the pitch! Who is going to get the ID cards up and running, 10/14 players can't even turn their kit the right way round for washing. Contrary to popular superstition it is not 100% proof of identity, photo's do not always look like the owner of the card and I don't see any one having the time or inclination to scan every face. Cheating on the sports field is a fact of life like it or not, ID cards are not going to solve it. In a perverse way if the opposition put in better players to succeed, it is a compliment to the other side. I can see that if this is passed, at a vote, then many of our valued administrators at club level will simply not put up with it, and will be lost to the game. It's hard enough now to get Secretaries and managers without burdening them with this. In short ID cards will add another layer of totally unneccessary administration. I urge you all to give it a NO.

We are talking about reducing the opportunity to cheat here - surely if there is any thought of wrong doing, it can be noted before a game - a quick photo on a phone before the game and it can be researched retrospectively - sure clubs would rather have that then be denied say a cup or a league title by a cheat. Also they could increase the penalties for teams who are stupid enough to chance it and for banned players, well these are notified on the full time web-site anyway. Like someone has said, it happens in youth football so why not adult football

Just another idea but why dont you put three boxes on the bottom of the teamsheet and the opposition must ask three of your players randomly to sign after/before the game. This would eliminate the embarrasment of singling out players you think are ineligable as it would be a routine thing to do. Afterall footballers are not known to be the brightest people many don,t know whether they have signed for anyone else or are suspended so to spell someone elses name would probably be beyond them anyway!!!!!!!!

Just another idea but why dont you put three boxes on the bottom of the teamsheet and the opposition must ask three of your players randomly to sign after/before the game. This would eliminate the embarrasment of singling out players you think are ineligable as it would be a routine thing to do. Afterall footballers are not known to be the brightest people many don,t know whether they have signed for anyone else or are suspended so to spell someone elses name would probably be beyond them anyway!!!!!!!!

already suggested near top of this thread. This has happened at sunday league for years. Easy to do, no extra paperwork. ID cards would probably work but would be hardwork. Im guessing it works at kids football but then, is there as much need for them at that level? was the problem as big? Is the problem big enough in mens football to warrant another task for clubs and who will pay for it?

see a player you dont know or think has played for someone else etc and ask for a signature. If name and signature dont match with ccfa then theres cheating. If its that big a problem and as pbvious as everyones saying when its done then just ask for a signature. If its not that easy to know whos cheating then what are we all banging on about?

Seems along the way this topic has been somewhat turned towards/on referees, when it should have remained with Clubs and I/D'S.

Should your clubs vote this in, it will be they and not the referees who will have to police it.

For those doubters who say it won't work or its too much trouble I have just one question:

Why do you think I/D's operate all over europe, all across this country and all through cornish youth football?

How many times do we read on here about ringers, first teamers or even non existant players. We have had teams kicked out the league on numerous occasions for cheating. We have teams/players fined every year for people who shouldnt have been playing and still it appears some people dont want change.

Seems along the way this topic has been somewhat turned towards/on referees, when it should have remained with Clubs and I/D'S.

Should your clubs vote this in, it will be they and not the referees who will have to police it.

For those doubters who say it won't work or its too much trouble I have just one question:

Why do you think I/D's operate all over europe, all across this country and all through cornish youth football?

How many times do we read on here about ringers, first teamers or even non existant players. We have had teams kicked out the league on numerous occasions for cheating. We have teams/players fined every year for people who shouldnt have been playing and still it appears some people dont want change.

If the problems big enough then a change is needed but why not signature idea?? People moaning that teams and clubs are folding, will this extra task see more go? not saying its a bad idea but this is cornwall. Im sure it be easy enough for bigger clubs but tiny village clubs? im sure a lot of clubs are struggling for volunteers and for finances already.Who will pay for it? Thats an important question before voting.

As a regular for one club for over a decade id be a bit gutted if i got to pendeen or somewhere too far away to get home and back if i discovered id forgot or lost my wallet and couldnt play. People may joke but i gaurantee this will happen to many players over a season.

If the problems big enough then a change is needed but why not signature idea?? People moaning that teams and clubs are folding, will this extra task see more go? not saying its a bad idea but this is cornwall. Im sure it be easy enough for bigger clubs but tiny village clubs? im sure a lot of clubs are struggling for volunteers and for finances already.Who will pay for it? Thats an important question before voting.

As a regular for one club for over a decade id be a bit gutted if i got to pendeen or somewhere too far away to get home and back if i discovered id forgot or lost my wallet and couldnt play. People may joke but i gaurantee this will happen to many players over a season.

''This is Cornwall'' what are you saying.

Surely for smaller clubs its easier to do, less players to account for.

As for the cost you could be looking at a small initial registration cost and that may well stop clubs signing on players who then never kick a ball.

Surely it would make sense that your manager/sec/captain keeps all your cards safe and not individuals.

Finally like I posted this works all over the place including Cornwall already, its not rocket science.

so some think a couple of signatures will do, well lets go the whole way and get every player to sign by his name and let Mr Carpenter sit at home all week checking them.id cards are by far easier, and if some people want to waste money forging cards well that's totally pathetic and if a win is so important perhaps those should take a look at themselves

Remind me again what the prize is for winning in Junior football at the end of the season? is it a row of houses all of a sudden?

Exactly my point, is the problem big enough. By the way, it will be much easier for Mr.Carpenter to go through a couple of signatures as cheating doesnt happen every game all the time. How many ID cards will he have to sort, average 50 per club??? Dont see why signatures wouldnt work. sounds like everyone knows who cheats already by the posts on here so all those wont be able to

As for the cost you could be looking at a small initial registration cost and that may well stop clubs signing on players who then never kick a ball.

Surely it would make sense that your manager/sec/captain keeps all your cards safe and not individuals.

Finally like I posted this works all over the place including Cornwall already, its not rocket science.

Easier at smaller clubs, most run on a breakeven budget with 2 or maybe 3 people running the whole club if your lucky. no idea what our club think of it, all im saying is it isnt a bad idea but is it really worth it for a minority who apparently cheat in junior football. i agree its not rocket science, where in adult football is it done in cornwall?? i wouldnt think its the toughest job in kids footy to use id cards. mums, dads, coaches, refs and most will know the all the kids.(not saying its easy, people devoting there time to kids footy do a marvelous job). if a kid doesnt have his card with him are they then not allowed to play or do they let them off if its someone they recognise? Think it be much harder in adult footy. most know me locally so would they waver it if they knew me, im sure a lot of clubs will consider it if there known as this is only junior footy and we play for fun

Easier at smaller clubs, most run on a breakeven budget with 2 or maybe 3 people running the whole club if your lucky. no idea what our club think of it, all im saying is it isnt a bad idea but is it really worth it for a minority who apparently cheat in junior football. i agree its not rocket science, where in adult football is it done in cornwall?? i wouldnt think its the toughest job in kids footy to use id cards. mums, dads, coaches, refs and most will know the all the kids.(not saying its easy, people devoting there time to kids footy do a marvelous job). if a kid doesnt have his card with him are they then not allowed to play or do they let them off if its someone they recognise? Think it be much harder in adult footy. most know me locally so would they waver it if they knew me, im sure a lot of clubs will consider it if there known as this is only junior footy and we play for fun

But unfortunately a lot of clubs dont just play for fun and i for one dont want to give up my time on a saturday,and during the week at training and getting a team and all the equipment ready and ask a team to do the best they can to achieve honours for some team to cheat and prevent achievement. Yes in a perverse way it is a compliment to play ringers but that is more often than not not the case cos ringers often come from a higher standard and different clubs and are more recognisable and are playing within the rules. What the ID card will do is stop the banned and non-signed on players etc.

I managed, or tried to manage, Wendron's under 18s last season and masterminded us to somehow winning the fair play aware.

Anyway, we used a laminated sheet with each players names , photos and reg. numbers on them provided by the league. This was really effective. The opposing manager or represented came over to our half just before or after the warm up and we quickly ran through the players. Then I went to do the same to their players. Took no time at all and was really effective. I think player ID would definitely work and may perhaps be needed. It happens in leagues across Europe and the country, and at Cornish youth level.

Retired for now I am in agreement with you over the signatures.

But I must say if you pick up a copy of a local newspaper and see how many clubs having a * denoting a points deduction you will see how many clubs cheat in one way or another.

Le Boss you say "unfortunately alot of clubs don,t play for fun" and nor does your team you will never win if you JUST play for fun, scoring a goal in your own net from 40yards would be classed as fun and i can,t see you or any other manager letting that happen.

I,m afraid Cheating is a big part of football from playing an unregistered player to appealing for a throw-in that you know is not yours.

Always remember ;- A GOOD LOSER IS A POOR PLAYER quoted from a well respected profesional player/manager who lead England to their only world cup triumph

Retired for now I am in agreement with you over the signatures.

But I must say if you pick up a copy of a local newspaper and see how many clubs having a * denoting a points deduction you will see how many clubs cheat in one way or another.

Le Boss you say "unfortunately alot of clubs don,t play for fun" and nor does your team you will never win if you JUST play for fun, scoring a goal in your own net from 40yards would be classed as fun and i can,t see you or any other manager letting that happen.

I,m afraid Cheating is a big part of football from playing an unregistered player to appealing for a throw-in that you know is not yours.

Always remember ;- A GOOD LOSER IS A POOR PLAYER quoted from a well respected profesional player/manager who lead England to their only world cup triumph

All fair and valid points and nobody is wrong. good to debate these things. When i said play for fun, we all play for the enjoyment, doesnt mean we dont want to try and win and put lots of effort in but weve all got work and lives outside of these leagues. only point i would make about the deducted points is that if they have been for cheating then they have already in those cases been caught out. Im guessing id cards prob will go ahead and be interesting to see. Hopefully will work and be smooth running but watch this space as they say

Le Boss, the thing that is on your side is that you are part of a good sized club that have a number of volunteers on a match day. That always seems to happen when a team is doing well.

What would it be like for a club the size of say Madron, who probably don't have a separate Manager, Coach, Linesman, first aider as such that could take on the extra duties of checking cards.

Le Boss, the thing that is on your side is that you are part of a good sized club that have a number of volunteers on a match day. That always seems to happen when a team is doing well.

What would it be like for a club the size of say Madron, who probably don't have a separate Manager, Coach, Linesman, first aider as such that could take on the extra duties of checking cards.

Honestly? If I played against a club which was as you say, without all the entourage, then i would just try and be as helpful and sympathetic to their cause before a game but would still want to check things - sorry maybe i am wrong for being suspicious - but i hate cheats

I agree with you, and if the ID Cards came into place then that is the attitude that teams would have to take with each other. I'm merely pointing out a reason that would be against the ID cards.

As i said, you're involved with a 'big' club at this level, there are lots of other clubs that don't have the infrastructure, man power, money to carry this out.

Good point retired for now, that these teams have already being caught out. Just one other veiw not really for a trelawney league topic though.

Why is it (unlike the trelawney league) that if you play default players in the combo league and you win the game, the opposition do not receive the points even though they are deducted from the winners?

St Day (no offence) for one reason or another have being deducted points,why were the points not given to the opposition?

At the moment Penryn are top of the combo, they get a mid-week game against Penzance ,and Penzance overload with first teamers. Penzance lose the points and Penryn do not receive them this could cost them the league.

Maybe Trelawney league committee are a little ahead of their neighbours!!!!!

I have a good true story on playing unregistered players..... more than a few years ago I was playing for a team (outside of the county to avoid arguement), we only had 10 players because the first team wanted 5 players for their subs bench. We quite literally grabbed a guy off the street and asked him to play, it turned out that he was pretty useless (not quite a ringer, but an unauthorised player at the time)!!!

Our manager had to give him a name of one of the clubs registered players who hadn't turned up that week "you can be Steve" the manager said to the player "just don't get booked!"

Sure enough during the match the guy went in for a reckless tackle and the referee went to book him "name please?" said the ref

"Steve" the player said

"Surname?" asked the ref

at which point the player shouted over to the manager "What's my surname?"

the manager shouted back "Trevaskis you idiot!!"

"How do you spell Trevaskis?" the player then shouted back to the manager!

The Ref was not impressed and asked the player to leave the field. We lost the game and the club got into trouble with the FA....

I think the rules on last minute registrations of players have changed in recent times, but the morale of the story is that cheating will catch up with clubs sooner or later. I think that ID cards may help reduce the "ringer" effect but not eliminate it. In my opinion there needs to be greater consequences for clubs that break the rules in this way; punishments need to be tougher (more points deduction/relegation) on clubs that play unregistered players, clubs and players need to be publically named and shamed for cheating and touchline bans for managers that allow unregistered players to play for their teams. If the risk is too great clubs will not take the chance on breaking the rules.

On another topic - Referees should not go into team's changing rooms. In most of the changing rooms around the TL there is barely enough room for the players!!

• 1 month later...
Guest BenTheYeti

So, having received an envelope from the Trelawny League today, it seems that this topic is not really any nearer to a conclusion, even though they want to implement it from next season.. Below are quotes from the letter.

"Discussions over the introduction of Identity Cards are on-going with the Football Association and County. Whilst the proposed rules for the introduction of the cards are enclosed, and have received approval of County, there is a possibility that the League may be used as a pilot league for the impending nationwide Player Pass scheme which will follow very similar lines. These discussions will be completed shortly and once the way ahead has been decided changes to the proposals may be necessary"

"Identity Cards

a. The following provisions shall govern the issue of Identity Cards.

i. All players in this League shall be issued with a Trelawny League Identity Card"

"iii. For each player requiring an Identity Card three "passport style" photographs are to accompany the players registration submitted to the Registrations Secretary and each is to have the players name and date of birth annotated on the rear in ink. One photograph will be used to produce an ID card, one will be held as a spare in case of loss and the third shall be held on file by the Registration Secretary. Completed cards will be despatched by return of post with the registration acknowledgement slip. Where registrations are submitted by fax or email the photographs are to be sent by the Club by first class post to the Registration Secretary and a stamped addressed envelope enclosed for their return."

"b. Clubs are responsible for ensuring that the Identity Cards for all of their intended players are present at each fixture and are the ensure that prior to commencement of each fixture a responsible member of each club checks that all opposing players are in possession of their Identity Cards"

"Note 2. Match Referees are not to be involved in the checking of Identity Cards or any dispute that may arise."

Having kept an eye on this thread in the past without responding, I think they are a good idea, especially knowing how rife the "ringer" can be at this level. However, as some have said on here, getting players to put their boots on the right feet is a challenge, getting them to produce 3 passport photos, and a signing on fee, especially in pre-season, is going to be some task. Another (for want of a better word) concern is that occasionally, teams have been known to turn up late to fixtures due to getting lost in the Bermuda Triangle that is Cornwall's roads. So, if that happened prior to say, an evening game, or a cup game that could go to penalties, is there going to be enough time for someone to go around checking that everyone has their ID, especially if the other team are already out on the pitch warming up?

Whatever us mere mortals of Cornish football think, it looks like it will go ahead, along lines of those quoted above, so next season could see a whole new forum section dedicated to posts about ID cards!

So, having received an envelope from the Trelawny League today, it seems that this topic is not really any nearer to a conclusion, even though they want to implement it from next season.. Below are quotes from the letter.

"Discussions over the introduction of Identity Cards are on-going with the Football Association and County. Whilst the proposed rules for the introduction of the cards are enclosed, and have received approval of County, there is a possibility that the League may be used as a pilot league for the impending nationwide Player Pass scheme which will follow very similar lines. These discussions will be completed shortly and once the way ahead has been decided changes to the proposals may be necessary"

"Identity Cards

a. The following provisions shall govern the issue of Identity Cards.

i. All players in this League shall be issued with a Trelawny League Identity Card"

"iii. For each player requiring an Identity Card three "passport style" photographs are to accompany the players registration submitted to the Registrations Secretary and each is to have the players name and date of birth annotated on the rear in ink. One photograph will be used to produce an ID card, one will be held as a spare in case of loss and the third shall be held on file by the Registration Secretary. Completed cards will be despatched by return of post with the registration acknowledgement slip. Where registrations are submitted by fax or email the photographs are to be sent by the Club by first class post to the Registration Secretary and a stamped addressed envelope enclosed for their return."

"b. Clubs are responsible for ensuring that the Identity Cards for all of their intended players are present at each fixture and are the ensure that prior to commencement of each fixture a responsible member of each club checks that all opposing players are in possession of their Identity Cards"

"Note 2. Match Referees are not to be involved in the checking of Identity Cards or any dispute that may arise."

Having kept an eye on this thread in the past without responding, I think they are a good idea, especially knowing how rife the "ringer" can be at this level. However, as some have said on here, getting players to put their boots on the right feet is a challenge, getting them to produce 3 passport photos, and a signing on fee, especially in pre-season, is going to be some task. Another (for want of a better word) concern is that occasionally, teams have been known to turn up late to fixtures due to getting lost in the Bermuda Triangle that is Cornwall's roads. So, if that happened prior to say, an evening game, or a cup game that could go to penalties, is there going to be enough time for someone to go around checking that everyone has their ID, especially if the other team are already out on the pitch warming up?

Whatever us mere mortals of Cornish football think, it looks like it will go ahead, along lines of those quoted above, so next season could see a whole new forum section dedicated to posts about ID cards!

It happens in kids football and from what i have seen, the manager or another non player holds ALL the identification material and the check takes 2 minutes maximum.

As a manager I would want to keep hold of all the ID stuff for fear of a player forgetting his and therefore not able to play. Surely there is no one out there that once armed with photo evidence would even try and cheat. If they do then that is plain stupid and they deserve all the punishment available. If everyone and everything tallies it will take very little time at each game.

Guest BenTheYeti

Agreed on the fact that one person within the club (Manager, Secretary, Treasurer etc) should hold them all.. just know how madcap pre season training can be with people trying to sign on, and from now on it's gonna be "oh by the way, have you brought three passport photos with you"

Again, think it's a good idea, but maybe should be trialled somehow before going into full swing for next season.. the fines and rulings on breaking the ID card rules are quite severe for this level of football.. both teams being fined if an ineligible is found to have played the game etc

Guest BenTheYeti

The trouble is, if the clubs didn't take responsibility for it, then who would.. couldn't expect the league to take on the burden of registering 1500-2000 players

It might stop players from moving from club to club like we see so often at the moment. Clubs might be a bit more selective in pre-season and so the surplus players might go to clubs who are short of players. I personally cant think of another way to stop the playing of ringers.

next up the abolishment of the anachronism that is re-instatement. Its only a cash cow for the CCFA!!!!!

filling out teamsheets its the next thing, this season, i have sent forms that the opposition havent signed coz left before i showered, refs have gone before signed.

another thing to go electronic, electronic fixture list online, you enter a password and it takes you to your match form, then just a simple click process of the players who played, team sent saturday afternoon after game, job done.

Guest BenTheYeti

To quote my quote..

perranporth reserve manager is right behind this.However the logistics need clarifying and as yet its all speculation.I believe refs have a hard enough job as is and thus the responsibility here should fall to the opposing managers.....lets face it if perranweell had three first teamners today i`d have had my suspiscions but would have had no way of checking.Likewise when i played two reinstated first teamers( as per league rules) how do they check i`m being honest?

I.D. cards are the way forward and it will stop unscrupulous managers fielding " ringed" teams and i stress the responsibility should be with the managers...any doubt check the cards...simple....then if you have a problem report to the league

Guest BenTheYeti

Yeah but an opposing manager can't cry fowl play over an ID card with someone's face on it. I know the idea of faked ID's has been discussed in previous posts, but as has been said before, if you really want to be doing that at this level of football, then you need your head checking