Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Derby Report


Recommended Posts

First of all a little advice for the CCFA

Its good to treat every club the same to avoid serious disrespect for impartiality !

Biscovey 3 Fowey 3 (Fowey 4-3 on pens)

After being drawn at home to face Fowey in the Junior Cup, Biscovey were anticipating this tie with wild dreams of maybe causing a true upset. However, after the original fixture was postponed due to a weather affected pitch (as many other ties were), Biscovey were instructed by the County that if the game at Par was postponed again, then they MUST agree to the fixture being reversed, as no games were to be carried-over for a further week. We now know that there are at least 3 or 4 JC games still to be played on 7th January and good luck to those teams allowed the luxury of drawn home advantage.

Anyway, to Fowey they went and what a game !!

Fowey started very brightly and dominated the first half hour, making the best of a strong tailwind to take the lead. The opening goal came in the 10th minute, when a good team build-up led to Martin Quantick being beaten with a good shot inside the far post. Fowey had the ball in the net again after 35 minutes, but the strike was ruled out for a disputed offside decision. By now, Biscovey had found their feet and were making some chances through ever increasing counter attacks and one of these led to Wilkinson chalking the equaliser from 6 yards on 40 minutes. 1-1 at half time and Fowey would have wanted more to show for their possession and Quantick, in the Biscovey goal, was the main reason for the parity.

The second half saw a change of momentum and with the wind in their backs, Biscovey started to mount some pressure, with McAvoy and Mooney making several driving runs which Fowey found hard to cope with. Biscovey took the lead on the hour when Woodcock showed lovely control with his back to goal, spun and slotted precisely inside the far post. Further pressure and Mooney was felled by the Fowey keeper - this led to a penalty and the defining 5 minutes of the tie. The penalty was missed and within 2 minutes, Fowey had equalised. A lovely shaped cross from Wheatley was headed in at the far post. Another 3 minutes and Jackson saw red for a last defender foul. Biscovey now down to 10 men. A ding-dong last 10 minutes saw the full time score at 2-2.

A breathless extra-time took the same pattern as before, with each team scoring with the wind at their backs. Fowey notched with a header from a deft cross in the first half and Biscovey forced the deadlock with an Isbell strike in the second, after Mooney had seriously rattled the Fowey crossbar from 30 yards. 3-3 AET.

Fowey were ruthless from the penalty spot and gave Quantick no chance as they ran out 4-3 winners.

An absolutely breathless tie played in a fierce, but sporting spirit and good luck to Fowey on their 4th round trip to Torpoint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...