Cornwall Football Forum

St Agnes Non Show

I very rarely comment on this forum, but I feel that strong about this I felt I had to. After our home match today with St Agnes I stood and watched every single player from St Agnes walk out of their changing room, pick up a pasty and walk straight out of the door.

Not one player or official stayed to buy, even a soft drink. How long do you expect local football to survive if opposing teams do not support the home teams bar. I and my players always stay and have a drink at the home of our hosts, in fact we often have more than one or two.

A few weeks ago our combination side visted St agnes and were soundly beaten 10 - 1 but still went into the club to support it.

I really do feel disappointed by this behaviour and more than slag off St agnes I would like to see other clubs encourage their players and officials to support the club that are their hosts, after all how long will your own club survive without the opponents support.

Once again my apologies for the rant but I do feel this is a very imprtant area to help our local football survive.

I very rarely comment on this forum, but I feel that strong about this I felt I had to. After our home match today with St Agnes I stood and watched every single player from St Agnes walk out of their changing room, pick up a pasty and walk straight out of the door.

After recent events you're lucky that's all they took ! :huh:

At the end of the day that's the credit crunch for you and St Agnes have a lot of young players in their squad who are most probably struggling for money with the amount students drink & gamble these days!

From what I saw when I last played down Porthleven there is not enough space in the 'clubhouse' for all players from both teams to socialize in after game, it's a very confined space...

A point against your silly rant.

At the end of the day that's the credit crunch for you and St Agnes have a lot of young players in their squad who are most probably struggling for money with the amount students drink & gamble these days!

From what I saw when I last played down Porthleven there is not enough space in the 'clubhouse' for all players from both teams to socialize in after game, it's a very confined space...

Fair point regarding the space but that is no excuse not to have a drink nor is the fact they are youngsters as we do serve soft drinks. I do however take offence at the comment it is a SILLY rant as I don't think your own club would be happy at a similar situation should it happen to them.

Fair point regarding the space but that is no excuse not to have a drink nor is the fact they are youngsters as we do serve soft drinks. I do however take offence at the comment it is a SILLY rant as I don't think your own club would be happy at a similar situation should it happen to them.

I feel that you have made a slight overreaction

I feel that you have made a slight overreaction

How can it be a slight over reaction when no-one stayed, I think your club, should you have one, would have been just as dissapointed. As for the other question asked the final score was 9-3 to Port

St Agnes players had just suffered a heavy defeat and maybe they just wanted to get home? Plus, you'd probably get 5 or 6 players paying for a soft drink (half underage and rest driving) therefore a fiver's profit? I'll pull a fiver out my own pocket if it makes you happy. People need to start re-focusing on the football being played and not all the other nonsense outside of it.

St Agnes players had just suffered a heavy defeat and maybe they just wanted to get home? Plus, you'd probably get 5 or 6 players paying for a soft drink (half underage and rest driving) therefore a fiver's profit? I'll pull a fiver out my own pocket if it makes you happy. People need to start re-focusing on the football being played and not all the other nonsense outside of it.

Total idiot.

Spot on, Money is tight these days and christmas is coming up so you can hardly complain about players not getting the Pints in. Totally agree with Gambler on this one

Total idiot.

I have taken offence to that comment.

Spot on, Money is tight these days and christmas is coming up so you can hardly complain about players not getting the Pints in. Totally agree with Gambler on this one

So they would not have bought a drink in their own bar had they been at home, I think you are missing the point

Total idiot.

I have taken offence to that comment.

Really? IMHO that is what you look like with your comments, sorry if you are offended.

So they would not have bought a drink in their own bar had they been at home, I think you are missing the point

No, possibly not becuase this is an expensive month for everyone, and if they didnt im sure their club wouldnt cry about it and post it on a forum

No, possibly not becuase this is an expensive month for everyone, and if they didnt im sure their club wouldnt cry about it and post it on a forum

Who is crying I am merely trying to state the importance of clubs supporting each other,

It's not opposition players' responsibility to run opposing clubs, it's down to that club, opposition players unintentionally help by buying a drink as you stated was not done today, but I doubt St Agnes players thought that by leaving without purchasing a drink that they wouldn't be supporting local football and so they shouldnt have, I'm sure it was more down to the result. Who wants to hang around after a 9-3 loss?

I do agree with the ghost as i have been involved with a club for 120 years!! it's an insult not to go in to the club,pub, clubhouse etc ( unless you have to go to work ) or they may need bitty (see little britain)

120 years is that all kempy

Maybe they could wait for "bitty later"

As for drinks, at least stop for a coke, whats that cost? A quid?

ok lets maybe put this into some kind of rational perspective! i am sure most weeks st agnes, who are a great club stay for a few drinks, but its that time of year in case anyone hadnt noticed that xmas is aproaching and people have xmas works do etc to attend and need to get off! i know we at illogan hosted hayle today and hardly any hayle players stayed after but no hard feelings they may have had parties through work to go to, even a lot of our our players didnt stay long tonight after the game! we have st just away next sat, myself and several players will be leaving straight after the game next without a drink as there is a players evening and a seperate party event which players will be attending, doesnt mean we are not showing manners or a lack of respect to st just as we would usually stay for a few drinks but at this time of year other events are on!

ok lets maybe put this into some kind of rational perspective! i am sure most weeks st agnes, who are a great club stay for a few drinks, but its that time of year in case anyone hadnt noticed that xmas is aproaching and people have xmas works do etc to attend and need to get off! i know we at illogan hosted hayle today and hardly any hayle players stayed after but no hard feelings they may have had parties through work to go to, even a lot of our our players didnt stay long tonight after the game! we have st just away next sat, myself and several players will be leaving straight after the game next without a drink as there is a players evening and a seperate party event which players will be attending, doesnt mean we are not showing manners or a lack of respect to st just as we would usually stay for a few drinks but at this time of year other events are on!

Spot on.

I agree with druth and kempy here, clubs need support! When I'v watched st just away games over the years they stay longer than the home team, no matter wat time of year!!! Ppl at these clubs always appreciate there stay, no matter wat the result!! Gambler I believe u r a fool!! No offence x

thank you Mickey Carrick! i think its a fair statement tho, i think only 4 or 5 of our own players stayed on in our own bar tonight after our combination league game against hayle because of xmas parties etc, likewise like i said before we dont think anything less of hayle tonight for hardly anyone coming in after the game as they are probably doing the same, reading all this doom and gloom on here makes me feel guilty about not staying for a drink at st just next week! like i really am doin it on purpose that i cant stay for a drink!

Got to agree with tyringham ghost on this one.Today i went to two clubhouses, Hayle and Penzance and both were well run with volunteers who supplied free sandwiches chips and mince pies to ALL players and supporters :clapper: .Both these clubs have 2 senior sides and i believe do not ask for subs.Cannot speak for helston as i left at end of the game but i must praise falmouth athletic as they stayed for a good hour after the game in penzance.As for the credit crunch if you go back to the times when me and ty ghost were youngsters we had 3 day weeks,strikes and the country was in a lot worse state than it is today. no designer clothes ,no gaming consels/computers and lucky to have a colour tv and a F AMILY car. GOT TO GO NOW AS JUSTIN BIEBER AND X FACTOR on my 55 " tele and my laptops going flat .

I agree with druth and kempy here, clubs need support! When I'v watched st just away games over the years they stay longer than the home team, no matter wat time of year!!! Ppl at these clubs always appreciate there stay, no matter wat the result!! Gambler I believe u r a fool!! No offence x

Credit to St Just for that, but I don't see the problem, one week of a 30 odd week season a number of players leave without contributing a maximum tenner, ouch. What St Agnes done today does not at all show any lack of respect or lack of appreciation, I repeat myself, MASSIVE OVERREACTION. And to be honest, calling me a fool is rather hypocritical when you have just used 'u r' instead of 'you are'. fool ;)

How can anyone say its ok not go back into the clubhouse..? that club has just given you an afternoon of entertainment..., which as all we all know if they didnt we would have a list of chores to do from our mrs at home...!! the least you can do to have is has a drink in their clubhouse as a sort of thanks....?? as for the comment about just wanting to get home..?? what a load of s**t i understand some players have to work etc n need to get back but for the rest.., surely the part of the enjoyment of playing footy is the social side after in the pub after...??

How can anyone say its ok not go back into the clubhouse..? that club has just given you an afternoon of entertainment..., which as all we all know if they didnt we would have a list of chores to do from our mrs at home...!! the least you can do to have is has a drink in their clubhouse as a sort of thanks....?? as for the comment about just wanting to get home..?? what a load of s**t i understand some players have to work etc n need to get back but for the rest.., surely the part of the enjoyment of playing footy is the social side after in the pub after...??

:clapper: :clapper:

Gambler I agree entirely with what you say.

The credit crunch can play a huge part in why people do not by drinks as does clubs who do not pay their players, or even offers to buy a drink for their players on their behalf if they do not get played.

I was down at Mousehole last week and I stayed behind for a drink even though I did not put in a performance. I thought buying a drink after the game was enough but then the scratchy card came around and the barmaid said would I like one. I said no thanks but thank you for asking as I had a train to catch, she said maybe later then. Didn't I just say no politely (with a bad look on her face). Perservering for people to buy a drink, scratch card, a packet of crisps is ludicrous. If they do not want to stay for a drink they don't have to and clubs should not moan if clubs/players don't or cannot as their wallets are not made of money, after all they are the away team and have to travel back from where they came from and buying a drink and driving 30-60 miles home is not good with the weather and sky the way it is.

Druth it's not just 1 team that has given an afternoon of entertainment. Another club makes the entertainment so its the supporters you need to look after to ensure they turn up every week, not the team that only visits once, maybe twice a season.

Gambler I agree entirely with what you say.

The credit crunch can play a huge part in why people do not by drinks as does clubs who do not pay their players, or even offers to buy a drink for their players on their behalf if they do not get played.

I was down at Mousehole last week and I stayed behind for a drink even though I did not put in a performance. I thought buying a drink after the game was enough but then the scratchy card came around and the barmaid said would I like one. I said no thanks but thank you for asking as I had a train to catch, she said maybe later then. Didn't I just say no politely (with a bad look on her face). Perservering for people to buy a drink, scratch card, a packet of crisps is ludicrous. If they do not want to stay for a drink they don't have to and clubs should not moan if clubs/players don't or cannot as their wallets are not made of money, after all they are the away team and have to travel back from where they came from and buying a drink and driving 30-60 miles home is not good with the weather and sky the way it is.

Druth it's not just 1 team that has given an afternoon of entertainment. Another club makes the entertainment so its the supporters you need to look after to ensure they turn up every week, not the team that only visits once, maybe twice a season.

Sorry mate but your excuse fo clubs not paying their players or getting them a pint is pathetic...!! i play jnr standard n have to pay £4 to play n so do most other jnr teams but not once this season have as team we have not gone back to hosts clubhouse/pub and got a drink etc n im also pleased to say that not once have we played at home and the visiting club not come back to the bar for a beer after either...!!

Agree with mr manning. Even if not particularly buying a drink you can at the least be sociable and go in for half hr chat with team-mates or the opposition. Not sure the "party to get to" excuse hold much ground either Jamo. Most parties will start around 7/730 which surely give most teams, especially at combo level, more than enough time to be sociable, travel home and do your hair in time to party. Particularly Hayle mate, given that its about a ten min drive from Illogan.

Anyway, each to there own. From experience Aggie are usually more than sociable so sure there was a good reason.

Are you sure? The clubhouse is the small space between each of the changing rooms, not appropriate for a fal/hels side let alone a peninsula club...

Believe it or not you are not talking about the elite of English Football it is the Peninsula League so whats odds does it make what the clubhouse is like??? There are sides in both East and West that don't even have a club house.

Stupid Comment

Totally disagree and no excuse at all for not buying a drink even if it just a quick one. Seems like a case of We will eat your food but were not going to give anything back. TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT FOR HOST CLUB

Port's great club, brilliant people behind the scenes, top manager and super players. Although the post match facilities could be better, it's not that bad and the post match banter as all part of Saturday football. I'm sure there were valid reasons for heading home early (Xmas parties, X-Factor, Traffic, getting walloped etc) but personally I feel it's important to stay and have at least one drink out of principle and respect for the club that's hosting you. It doesn't take long to have a quick snack/drink and say thank you, plus you're helping support the club and we all know that everyone's struggling in the current economic climate.

Dont hold with the financial difficulties point of view - bet they all have really expensive boots, top of the range mobiles etc etc and they know what is expected of them after each game so can find even just a quid for a can of coke(other brands are available). I would expect my players to be respectful of clubs laying on food and are told so!!

The behaviour of the St Agnes players shows a very poor regard for the feelings of others.

They abused the hospitality of the pub owner at Dobwalls (has any sort of apology been made?) and they abused the hospitality of Porthleven FC.

It's a pity the FA reduced their punishment - perhaps they should have increased it.