Cornwall Football Forum

Buckland Athletic

I SEE ITS PLYMOUTH PARKWAY THAT HAVE FOLLOWED BUCKLANDS LEAD IN APPLYING TO JOIN THE WESTERN LEAGUE. JUST WONDER WHAT GATES THEY WILL GET AS I CANT SEE MANY TEAMS WILLING TO TRAVEL TO THEM ON A FRIDAY NIGHT AS THATS WHEN THEY GET THIER BEST GATES IN THE SWPL.

I dont think their gates would be many more ! You would be surprised how many people in the Plymouth area do not even know they exist , which is a shame . I look forward to the Parkway fixture each week. Good pitch , good comittee and great lads running the team. The players are also great bunch too.

There gates won't be hampered what so ever. As it's the people of Plymouth and surrounding area that raise the gate receipts. It's the people who normally watch argyle or play themselves that boater the crowd on a Friday night. As for people not knowing parkway exist ?..... Anybody that knows there football in plymouth certainly know parkway exist .

There gates won't be hampered what so ever. As it's the people of Plymouth and surrounding area that raise the gate receipts. It's the people who normally watch argyle or play themselves that boater the crowd on a Friday night. As for people not knowing parkway exist ?..... Anybody that knows there football in plymouth certainly know parkway exist .

Don.t agree with you Train

You be surprised how many people know about Plymouth Parkway, people will travel from outside Plymouth to watch them on a Friday evening. For the big games the attendance would increase. With the possibility of FA cup as well next season think it is a wise move. On top of that, the 2nd team could try for promotion to either the East or West of the SWPL from ECPL. Good Luck to them. You cannot knock them for trying.

You be surprised how many people know about Plymouth Parkway, people will travel from outside Plymouth to watch them on a Friday evening. For the big games the attendance would increase. With the possibility of FA cup as well next season think it is a wise move. On top of that, the 2nd team could try for promotion to either the East or West of the SWPL from ECPL. Good Luck to them. You cannot knock them for trying.

I wish parkway the best of luck but don't you have to win this league first before you go to the western league? If you do I can't see it being this season seem not to be as strong a side this season I could be wrong though just my opinion

WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT MIKE, ITS ONLY SOMETHING THIS KAREN AND MARK HAVE HEARD. JUST READ THE SWPL WEBSITE FORUM UNDER GENERAL

"Barry"-I could have been mistaken as I have just found the report which explains Step 7 to Step 6

(SWPL Div 1 to Premier Div)

The F A National Leagues Manager Mike Appleby has roughly said-

In order to be promoted (After applying 31-12-11)a club must finish in top position but if it doesnt wish to or it fails to meet the entry criteria it will be open to the second position and then down to 5th spot.

No clubs below 5th and only one club from that league may be promoted.

I am not sure if this also applies for Step 6 to Step 5 (SWPL to Western L)

No disrespect, but...... you dont have to agree, its common knowledge and more or less facts. Do you live in plymouth ?, if you do then you would know that the friday night crowds are alot of argyle followers, cswpl players and supporters from a number of cswpl clubs from in and around the plymouth area and maybe slightly further. Why else do you think there crowds are higher than every other club. all you have to do is look at saltash uniteds attendance if they have a friday night game and you will see the same outcome

No disrespect, but...... you dont have to agree, its common knowledge and more or less facts. Do you live in plymouth ?, if you do then you would know that the friday night crowds are alot of argyle followers, cswpl players and supporters from a number of cswpl clubs from in and around the plymouth area and maybe slightly further. Why else do you think there crowds are higher than every other club. all you have to do is look at saltash uniteds attendance if they have a friday night game and you will see the same outcome

I do live in Plymouth and agree that Friday night games have larger crowds. If only all home games could be played then. I just struggle to understand why we do not get more support on other days ? It is great value for money win / lose or draw. Many people I have spoken to , who do enjoy football , but are not involved on the local scene - have never heard of Plymouth Parkway. I must admit that does not mean I have surveyed hundreds of people. I just wonder why Parkway could not convert a few hundred Argyle fans ???????????

Do you think that people in Plymouth dont read the Herald .They get excellent coverage read this fridays edition for example accompanied by a nice coloured picture.So they are obviously aware that Parkway exist .Although i would imagine knowledge of their location is lesser known.

Not sure ?????????? I personally think people do not realise that the Parkway team are the second biggest team in Plymouth ? Of course many people know about them , but I am convinced there are many that do not. I have introduced several people to this level of football and I was introduced to watching this level about 5 years ago by a Liskeard fan. I watched them many times before even realisng what Parkway were about. I am sure if Argyle fans did watch , who have not watched before they would be converted.

Good to see Parkway and Buckland giving it ago. Id like to think they will both do well because I cant imagine the western league is any stronger at all. Its just teams of a very similiar standard in a different location. Hopefully itll then change a few minds in the SWPL to also go for promotion.

Do you think that people in Plymouth dont read the Herald .They get excellent coverage read this fridays edition for example accompanied by a nice coloured picture.So they are obviously aware that Parkway exist .Although i would imagine knowledge of their location is lesser known.

I think they probably know they exist Mr Guiness , but they probably are not aware of the standard of football and facilities on offer . Especially as the space allocated to the coverage of the Peninsula Prem within the Herald is not a lot greater than the P&D,Sunday and Wednesday Leagues . It is certainly not in the same league as the coverage afforded to the Cornish teams within the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian .

I believe that glory hunting and apathy is rife within people Plymouth football people . When I think of all the so called "football fans" who crowd into pubs and social clubs on Saturday lunchtimes and Sunday afternoons rather than fork out 4 quid (or 60 quid for the season) to watch live,local football then I get annoyed . Especially dyed in the wool fans of the big clubs who have never watched their heroes play live . Completely unfathomable .

If only every club in the league could convert 50-100 of these , then think of the boost it would give the local game .

If SWPL clubs could go up 2 at a time, we may find that a few more take the plunge. After 3 or 4 seasons, the Western League would have a more even spread of clubs from Bristol down to Cornwall.

Or is that far too logical to make sense ?

Very logical Mr Nemesis . At Parkway we are probably in a better position (geographically speaking) than many of the Cornish clubs . For us , a trip to Wiltshire,Somerset or the Bristol area is not too different than travelling down to Penzance,Falmouth,Newquay or Porthleven. As we are a relatively new club on the scene as well , we would not risk losing lucrative local derbies on Boxing Days and Easter Mondays as we have nothing on the same level as Blazey v St.Austell or Liskeard v Saltash .I cannot see how we could keep many of the Friday evening games though .

When I followed Liskeard in the Eighties and Nineties it was always the midweek trips that were the killers . Mostly the midweek games were against the likes of Exmouth and Dawlish , but sometimes a long haul to someone like Clevedon was unavoidable . That or having to play double headers on Saturdays and Sundays . Inconvenient for the players , but is that not one of the reasons they get paid ?

IT LOOKS AS IF I STAND CORRECTED MIKE, GOOD WORK ON THE RESEARCH SO EITHER PLYMOUTH PARKWAY OR BUCKLAND COULD ENTER THROUGH THE BACK DOOR SO TO SPEAK DEPENDING WHO FINISHES THE HIGHER BUT NO LOWER THAN 5TH IS THAT RIGHT AS I AM GETTING A LITTLE CONFUSSED NOW.

Looks like it could end up as race within a race then . Bodmin,Falmouth and Saltash battling for the title ( my prediction) , with Parkway and Buckland engaged in a secondary race to finish above each other in the top 5 .

Not sure I would be completely comfortable if either team achieved promotion in this way , but it would ensure a thrilling end to the season . Especially if the weather doesn't improve and we end up with an almighty fixture pile up