Cornwall Football Forum

St Agnes AFC - Senior Cup

St Agnes AFC successfully appealed against the Cornwall FA decision to exclude them from both this season and next seasons' Senior Cup. As of a few minutes ago, St Agnes AFC are back in the Senior Cup.

Regards,

Alan Pitts

St Agnes AFC

Club Secretary

St Agnes have been reinstated into Cornwall Senior Cup. Statement from the Cornwall FA says the landlord my press criminal charges now though following today's decision. £200 fine still stands.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/9404220.St_Agnes_reinstated_into_Cornwall_Senior_Cup/

A Statement from Cornwall FA on the Outcome of the Appeal by The FA, said: "At a hearing held on Tuesday, December 6, 2011, members of an FA Disciplinary Appeal Board dismissed the majority of the grounds appealed on by St Agnes FC.

"In the original case, St Agnes were found to have brought the game into disrepute by not preventing some of their players from stealing items from a pub on their way home from a victory in the Cornwall Senior Cup against St Stephens Borough in September 2011. The club were fined £200 and expelled from the Cornwall Senior Cup.

"St Agnes had appealed that they had not had a fair hearing and that the fine and sanctions were disproportionate to the offence. The decision today by The FA at an appeal board held in Devon agreed that the misconduct charges were proven, that the £200 fine imposed was not excessive, but ordered Cornwall FA to reinstate St Agnes to the Cornwall Senior Cup competition."

Dawn Aberdeen, Chief Executive Officer from Cornwall FA said, "We have always maintained that these proven allegations were of a sufficient seriousness to bring a charge of misconduct against the club. We have a duty to make sure people involved with the game, including those under 18 years old, are guided by their club to behave with respect. I am satisfied that The FA agree that these actions were reprehensible. On the issue whether Cornwall FA acted proportionately in their sanctions, we accept The FA decision."

(from the CCFA website)

St Agnes FA Appeal Result

At a hearing held on Tuesday 6th December 2011, members of an FA Disciplinary Appeal Board upheld part of the appeal made by St Agnes FC.

In the original case, St Agnes were found to have brought the game into disrepute by not preventing some of their players from stealing items from a pub on their way home from a victory in the Cornwall Senior Cup against St Stephens Borough in September 2011. The club were fined £200 and expelled from the Cornwall Senior Cup.

St Agnes had appealed that they had not had a fair hearing and that the fine and sanctions were disproportionate to the offence. The decision today by The FA at an appeal board held in Devon agreed that the misconduct charges were proven, that the£200 fine imposed was not excessive but ordered Cornwall FA to reinstate St Agnes to the Cornwall Senior Cup competition.

Dawn Aberdeen, Chief Executive Officer from Cornwall FA said, “ We have always maintained that these proven allegations were of a sufficient seriousness to bring a charge of misconduct against the club. We have a duty to make sure people involved with the game, including those under 18 years old, are guided by their club to behave with respect. I am satisfied that The FA agree that these actions were reprehensible. On the issue whether Cornwall FA acted proportionately in their sanctions, we accept The FA decision. “

The misconduct charges arose from an incident reported by Simon McKernan, landlord of the Highwayman pub in Dobwalls. Members of the party from St Agnes stole about 20 items including a wheelbarrow, a pool cue, 5 pint glasses, a karaoke song book, a dartboard, a pool triangle, a toilet brush set, soft toy, vase with artificial flowers, child’s painting set, a stool and a number of posters. Most of these have been now returned or replaced.

Mr McKernan gave this reaction to today’s decision, “When I reviewed my CCTV footage from that evening, I was so appalled by this club’s behaviour that I reported the incident. I have always maintained that, as a football person myself, football should deal with this type of behaviour. I should emphasise that I did report the incident to the police and was assigned a crime reference number. My initial feeling was to avoid a criminal case for the people involved if football took the case seriously. After today’s decision, I am still considering whether to press charges.”

The misconduct charges arose from an incident reported by Simon McKernan, landlord of the Highwayman pub in Dobwalls. Members of the party from St Agnes stole about 20 items including a wheelbarrow, a pool cue, 5 pint glasses, a karaoke song book, a dartboard, a pool triangle, a toilet brush set, soft toy, vase with artificial flowers, child’s painting set, a stool and a number of posters. Most of these have been now returned or replaced.

sounds like the generation game conveyor belt

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Looking at the list of items stolen, would most people think ;

a) Those boys are going to make a real killing around the pubs of St Agnes with that lot or

B) It's the sort of juvenile ( although extremely funny when youre 22 and pissed up ) prank that a sincere apology, items returned / replaced and a nice donation to a charity of the landlords choice would have been quickly forgotten.

If the landlord is indeed a football person then I'd have thought he may have seen the humorous side of it in the cold light of day.

Obviously I wasn't there so I don't know what the atmosphere was on the night though

I think in terms of the whole of the club ( ie backroom boys,committee etc ) It's the right decision

I don't think anyone would excuse what the players did - completely out of order and unnecessary. Shaming the club's name and the game of football :angry2:

I agree, but several of the posts above seem to revel in the fact that the club have effectively got away with it.

I would say that the original punishment was about right.

Lets hope that the publicity about this incident will serve as a reminder to other clubs/persons that this sort of behaviour cannot be accepted.

I'm sure that St.Agnes,as a long standing club with fine traditions and a number of respected people involved,will deal with the persons as an internal matter as well.

Good to see that the FA dealt with the appeal quickly as well.

Time to move on.