Cornwall Football Forum

Lack of Keepers?

I retired as of today on my 30th birthday

So chalk another of your list

Body given up on me after a lot of football over the last 16 years

Dying Breed

Keepers tend to stay at one club a lot more than outfield players

Hope you had a good birthday. just seems like so many clubs are looking for keepers. Is there not enough about? There were like 4 at Mawnan at the start of the season, but not sure where they are now

Keepers are hard to come by! I retired end of last season from st mawgan where i played all but one season in the best part of 15/20 years and hardly missing a game in that time. They are currently on their 4/5 th keeper already this season!!! I just cannot / dont want to commit to every saturday anymore. I work sundays most the year so saturdays is the only time i get with the missus to go kayaking which we have recently took up. And id rather be doing that in august, september, april and may than footy! An outfield player could miss the 1st few months, sit on the bench for a few weeks and work their way back into the team, bit hard for a keeper! And you dont see many keepers sat on the bench in junior footy, so i retired and watch in winter time now. I miss the lads and the banter but not playing in a howling gale every week lol

You be surprised how many keepers move, alot of managers look at the goalie being the weak link if a team isnt doing well and forget to look at how the other ten players infront of you defend! You need to be abit mad if not stupid to be a keeper and have broad shoulders and the ability to lose count lol

There are keepers about but some just fancy a change, everyone remembers a mistake but not the 5good saves previously!

I played in goal at youth football for a year, hated it. If you make a mistake in goal it's not like missing the ball in midfield or losing the ball up front because it's not as crucial even if it leads to something. One error in goal can cost a team a whole match! Tough job to have!

Im a goalkeeper playing outfeild, I play for fun and dont mind what position I play, just happy with a game of football! Goalkeeping is a thankless task and it doesnt appeal to everyone but someone has to do it, im lucky my club have a few keepers signed on so I can make a fool of myself outfeild, entertainment for all lol

You need to be mental and thick skinned, thankfully I'm both in large quantities!

I've played at Polperro for most of my (long, some would say too long!)) playing career, except for a couple of seasons where I decided to test myself at a higher standard and got injured each time. I ended up back at Killigarth by the end of those seasons too!

It may be the end for me soon though, I've been out for at least 8 weeks now and I'm not sure if I'll make it back no matter how much I want to.

On the point of keepers preferring to play outfield, most keepers think they can at some stage of their career but not too many are really as good as they think they are! :unsure: I can hardly kick the ball straight playing in goal, so I'm not one of them. :P

You need to be mental and thick skinned, thankfully I'm both in large quantities!

I've played at Polperro for most of my (long, some would say too long!)) playing career, except for a couple of seasons where I decided to test myself at a higher standard and got injured each time. I ended up back at Killigarth by the end of those seasons too!

It may be the end for me soon though, I've been out for at least 8 weeks now and I'm not sure if I'll make it back no matter how much I want to.

On the point of keepers preferring to play outfield, most keepers think they can at some stage of their career but not too many are really as good as they think they are! :unsure: I can hardly kick the ball straight playing in goal, so I'm not one of them. :P

every keeper thinks they can play outfield,

wait a sec

every keeper knows they can play outfield!!!!!!!

Thick, not thick skinned, heart of a lion, reactions of a cobra and a keeper that any club would choose mate, keep it up old boy I will challenge you to be playing vets footy longer than me.

MQ ######

( i aint never giving up)

Thick, not thick skinned, heart of a lion, reactions of a cobra and a keeper that any club would choose mate, keep it up old boy I will challenge you to be playing vets footy longer than me.

MQ ######

( i aint never giving up)

Maybe thick to put my head where I do!

Thanks old man, I'm too stubborn to turn down that challenge. Let's have a Jack Daniels on it.

The thing is that I've not finished with Saturdays yet, as much as I enjoy playing vets on a Sunday.

every keeper thinks they can play outfield,

wait a sec

every keeper knows they can play outfield!!!!!!!

Im a keeper playing outfield..., loved it in goal n my old man and older brother are/were keepers..., played 3 games in goal last season n really enjoyed it.., would even say im a better keeper than striker but my gaffer keeps picking me to play up top so just do what im told...!! although i would say i do enjoy the headlines ya get as a striker ha ha :clapper:

Im A ex- Keeper now in black, I think i have jumped from the frying pan into the fire.????

Both simular roles in that they are really unappreciated in football but both really important.

Denty when we (calstock) play you how about going in goal lets see if your any good least it might be aweek you stay off the score sheet lol, Cant wait for that game, Keithy what do you mean your an ex keeper playing in goal thick t**t :D

Its not me ya gotta ask buddy its jig my gaffer he's the one who keeps playing me out of position...!! Id do it.., but to be fair i love nothing more than slotting them in past you boys..., esp after ya pipped us to the div 1 title last year :thumbsup: