Cornwall Football Forum

St newlyn vs altarnun

St newlyn 4-0 Altarnun. At this game today which st newlyn won quite comfortably and in fairness deserved to win! One thing to come out of it I wasn't too impressed with was referee Gary Cornish's performance! The fa want more respect shown to referees but this has to work both ways! In my opinion today Gary was very unprofessional in his performance, it's no wonder players get wound up so much with some of the things he said! At one point during the game today he turned around to the altarnun keeper (after he had raised a point with him) and said to him if you weren't such a bad keeper you wouldn't be losing 2-0! As well as this all throughout the game he was running around laughing and joking with players and referring to them by nicknames they had! Very rarely did he explain a decision he gave which I feel also creates more tension with players! Just feel the performance was unprofessional and can see why players react and get wound up!!

Mate, I don't want to create a big argument however, I was watching today and I have been the biggest complainant about the standard of ref's (cue B Manning) but the ref today who has never ref'd us before was superb. He was a quality ref, the sort we rarely get at this level! He was constantly up with play to the point whereby he didn't even need the linesman to get the offsides right. He communicated with players and when your goalkeeper openly criticised him along the lines of "if you communicated better etc.." which he could of booked or sent off the goalkeeper for he laughed it off and quipped "If you were better in goal you may not be two nil down". Better the ref responded like that than book you or even send you off particularly now that you have no right of appeal. He did not run around laughing and joking with players, he picked up on players names and spoke to them as you would expect a common sense, quality ref to do so. If I was you I would take this time to ask why two of your players decided to have a cup of tea at half time and declare that they just wanted the game over. We have no beef with your lad's nor your club and wish you all the best. But unfair criticism needs to be put right. That ref was excellent...period!

He didn't know our nicknames! He referred to Denty as Denty and Rav as Rav which is what everyone call's them on the pitch and from the touchline. Like I said he picked up on peoples names and used their names when speaking to them. Like I said he was very good simple as that. Bit of a daft question anyway as he could be close friends with the club having never ref'd us. Actually Rav said in the changes rooms that it was weird that he was calling him Rav when he had never met him which proves my point that he was very observant and intelligent for a ref (joke!). Like I said, good ref end of. Also be careful what you write on here about ref's you may get a fine and ban which is another thread discussion, but very true!

I personally thought the ref today was the best we had all season...!! he only knew my name as he knows my old man through footy and he was up there watching today other wise i dont think he would of knew me...!!

The ref talked to all players and when i scored my header he told me it was one of the worst header's he had seen..., which was good a ref who could have a laugh as well...!! So it wasnt only your keeper he talked to...!!

Also he didnt say if you werent such a bad goalkeeper..., he said after the keeper slated him, if you guys had played better you wouldnt be 2-0 down..., which to be fair was right...!!

Quality ref 10 out of 10

Pete saldon( if spelt right )calls me by my nickname because he has reffed me so many times,also years ago i laboured on a building site he was on and we got talking,so does it really matter these guys do they best on a saturday and if not for them most of us would have a chores list to do on a sat left by our dear partners, lets face it no one is perfect so lets just give the refs a break and count ourselves luckly there are people willing to give they saturdays up for us to play the sport we all love so much.

To set a few records straight; yes I have refereed St Newlyn East a few times over the years, although I think the last time I did was possibly 3 or 4 years ago. I have also refereed Altarnun a few times, probably more than I have St Newlyn East! In fact I remember the last time I refereed Altarnun was near the end of last season.

During the game you pick up on names. Sometimes you recognise someone yet can't put a name to the face until you hear it, & this was the case on Saturday. If using players names makes me unprofessional, then I am as guilty as the Premiership referees, & the majority of the referees that I know!

I could have chosen to caution the keeper, who I think may be refsrus, for continually telling me what was a foul & how to do my job, yet I chose a man-management method which worked. Not just with the keeper, but the whole team.

As for laughing & joking with players; not only does it add to my enjoyment, which at the end of the day is why I referee, it can also be a good man-management tool. Sorry for enjoying myself! :wacko:

As for the support shown here, thanks guys! :thumbsup: Oh, & Denty, it wasn't the best of headers was it!? :lol:

If you are who I think you are refsrus, good luck with the complaint; make sure your dad tells you the right place to send it to!

All the best :drink:

Gary

He didn't know our nicknames! He referred to Denty as Denty and Rav as Rav which is what everyone call's them on the pitch and from the touchline. Like I said he picked up on peoples names and used their names when speaking to them. Like I said he was very good simple as that. Bit of a daft question anyway as he could be close friends with the club having never ref'd us. Actually Rav said in the changes rooms that it was weird that he was calling him Rav when he had never met him which proves my point that he was very observant and intelligent for a ref (joke!). Like I said, good ref end of. Also be careful what you write on here about ref's you may get a fine and ban which is another thread discussion, but very true!

Everyone knows RAV, Christ most refs have heard him whine and whinge in the last 15 years in the duchy and ecpl

As for nicknames quite a few refs whom I have never met before have referred to me as CAT ( or something that sounds like that anyways) even if I had never met them before.

My reputation and belly obviously preceeded me in some instances!