Cornwall Football Forum

JCCL 1987-88 Nostalgia

I have just been reviewing the 1987-88 and came across anewspaper cutting

JCCL end of season top scorers (League & Cup)

53 Mark Rapsey -Newquay reserves

33 Steve Wherry-Penryn Athletic

33 Keith Gilbert-Mousehole

31 James Eddy- Helston Athletic

28 Gary Marks-Porthleven

26-Perry Bullock-Porthleven

26-Kevin Cutter-Mousehole

25-George Pattison-Helston Athletic

24 Derek Newman-Porthleven

23 Jeremy Ede-Illogan RBL

22 Paul Murray-Falmouth town reserves

20 Neil Rudkin-Mullion

20 George Jeffrey- Marazion Blues

20 Jamie Sweeney-Pendeen Rovers

18-Ron Vercesi-Ludgvan

Champions Helston were the only team with an unbeaten Home record

St.Agnes the only team not to win Away

Holman S C for the fifth successive season finished in the bottom two

Truro City Reserves won the Evely cup 4-1 v Nanpean Rovers at Mount Wise

Mark symons2-Ian Curnoe-Steve Tabb

Cup Final: Truro City Reserves 2-1 Penryn Athletic (played at Falmouth)

This was a replay after the teams played out a 2-2 draw at Penzance

Supplementary Cup Final: Helston Athletic 4-3 Pendeen Rovers

Champions Helston never went lower than 5th all season. Went top 4 times during the season, the final time on 26th March 1988 when the beat Falmouth Town Reserves 1-0 at home.

For all the info I have on the season go on http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/87-88welcome.html

For each individual clubs record go on http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/clubs87.html

So If you wanted to look at say Mousehole click on http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/87mousehole.html

This will give you dates of matches, scores and league position for that week.

Have done this for every season from 1959-71, 72-92, 08-11 so far. Doing 2007-08 at the moment. 1971-72 is a real bugger as nothing seems to match score-wise no matter which paper microfilm I look at. Will go through it again.

So eventually my aim is to have the date and score of every combo game, plus cup games from 1982 onwards and also the league positions of every team week to week for each season. Also head 2 head results, longest winning runs, draws defeats etc for every team.

A labour of love!!!

Remember that season well Mike!! Put me on the map!! A wet behind the ears teenager, some illustrious names on that list!! Combo was a very strong league that season,we had Kimmo in goal and only finished about 7th!? Reckon i would have had more but Trev kept nicking me for the first team bench!! Great bunch of lads put together by Ian Carhart. Didnt know i was soon to play for Town though and have the best years of my life mate! Remember we were playing at Marazion that season and Trev said i could'nt play as we were playing Teignmouth at home on the Sunday in the SWL, so i just went down to support the lads and we were drawing 1-1 with 8 minutes to go and Ian said do you fancy it?? I didnt even have any shinpads on i was in that much of a rush to get on! Remember touching the ball about 5 times and scoring a hat-trick and we won 4-1! Brilliant days, thanks for the reminder Mike :thumbsup:

ps) We beat Teignmouth 1-0 the following day, i had a mare and Trev took me off after 70 mins, big Alan Lenton came on and scored the winner!!! Funny old game football :(