Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST AUSTELL V FALMOUTH TOWN

Should be a good crowd for what could be a cracking fixture. Despite Dan Blazey's suggestion on another post I can't see many neutrals choosing Blaise Park over Poltair tomorrow!!

I gather St.Austell could have another new signing in the squad tomorrow. Despite losing Slates to Bodmin the squad looks much stronger since the addition of Tom Smith and Nick Campbell and this game should prove a good test of where we are as a team.

Up the lillywhites!! :thumbsup:

Should be a good crowd for what could be a cracking fixture. Despite Dan Blazey's suggestion on another post I can't see many neutrals choosing Blaise Park over Poltair tomorrow!!

I gather St.Austell could have another new signing in the squad tomorrow. Despite losing Slates to Bodmin the squad looks much stronger since the addition of Tom Smith and Nick Campbell and this game should prove a good test of where we are as a team.

No, but the large contingent of St Blazey supporters who live in St Austell will be there ^_^

I gather St.Austell could have another new signing in the squad tomorrow.

Jake Hartigan going straight into the SWPL side ? Good luck to 'light breeze' as Peppermints fans nicknamed him, hope he can hold down a regular place, although the Combo side will miss him.

You going up Mike?

Yes Frank, I am planning to make a visit and getting there early for pitchside parking.

Expecting a close game and I seem to think last season Falmouth just managed to hold out in a 2-1 win.

Did I hear you and the"artists" are travelling by rail?

They are Mike. I'm going on the train as well as I think a responsible adult should accompany them. ;)

A.F.C.St.Austell 0 Falmouth Town 2 h/t 0-1 Est.Att.130

As predicted a dour game hindered by a blusterey wind -never an easy place to open up with the passing game.

A tale of two penalties both in the opening of each half before Falmouth relieved any tension with a route one score in the final minutes.

Mark Vercesi Penalty 4mins

Matt Drummond 89mins

A large travelling support around 50

Dan Green makes his 100th Town First team Appearance

Falmouth now on a 7 match Away winnning run 5L 2C

9 ex Town players made an appearance for A.F.C

Mark Vercesi 41st club goal (21 penalties) -missed only one

Very impressed with the set up at Poltair as I haven't been up there for a while,you can see that a lot of good work has been put in on the pitch and off it.Nice hospitable club,best wishes for the rest of the season obviously apart from the return fixture at Bickland Park !

Yesterday was one of those games that when you get to the end of the season and are champions,you can look back and say "that was one of the games where we won it ".

What I mean is that St.Austell made it very difficult for Town and add to that the elements and 3 pts is an achievement.

You're expected to win the home games so if you can pick up points on the road as well then you're going in the right direction.

Well done Falmouth on a hard fought win,it was a pleasure to be there.

Same again next week in the Vase,please !

" Up the Town "

As Mike rightly said - a tale of two penalties in a way. If Whetts had scored his right at the start of the 2nd half the result could have been very different but I guess he was due to miss one at some point.

We didn't play particularly well though I think most supporters were a bit surprised at the decision to leave Nanks and Bods on the bench. However Falmouth look a strong outfit and probably deserved the win - you could see how important a 3 points they considered it by the way they celebrated the 2nd goal in the dying seconds which relieved the pressure they were under. Not sure if they've got quite enough to challenge Bodmin for the title but they look good enough to be up there close.

I reckon the crowd was quite a lot better than the 130 estimate although a few may have decided the huge queues for the Brewery festival more fun than the footie!

Lots of football to be played yet and like you say lots of ifs and buts. I think the whole of the County is hoping St Blazey maintain Premier status and if so, I guess Camelford v Newquay would be an option with Blazey v St Austell, Bodmin v Liskeard, Torpoint v Saltash and Penzance v Falmouth.