Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Attendances

Naturally a team enjoying some success on the pitch is likely to receive healthy support on the terraces but it's interesting to read on the SWPL website that of all the 55 SWPL teams, Newquay currently have the 5th highest average home attendance with 125.

This is even more of an achievement considering the West average is 64 whilst the Prem is 92.

Whilst we all know Cornish football attendances have taken a knock in recent years, would anyone know what the average attendances were in the SWL before it's dissolvement?

Mike Odgers? Dave Deacon?

Naturally a team enjoying some success on the pitch is likely to receive healthy support on the terraces but it's interesting to read on the SWPL website that of all the 55 SWPL teams, Newquay currently have the 5th highest average home attendance with 125.

This is even more of an achievement considering the West average is 64% whilst the Prem is 92%.

Whilst we all know Cornish football attendances have taken a knock in recent years, would anyone know what the average attendances were in the SWL before it's dissolvement?

Mike Odgers? Dave Deacon?

Try:-

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/swpatt.htm

Attendances are based on results.

Seems the old fasioned die hard fans are diminishing, if your team is struggling thats when the support is most needed, too many are far to quick to abandon their team when results are going badly.

Newquay - played 16 won 14 and drawn 2 thats why the attendances are good.

St Austell had the lowest attendance at home in nearly 4 years against Camelford, hope to see a massive improvement on the embarrasing 75 that attended that game against high flying Falmouth.

MM

A decade ago, 2-300 was the norm for us. Around 100 ex-Blazey fans can now be seen down Treyew Road on a Saturday afternoon along with perhaps 20 who followed last year's Blazey side to Mount Wise in the close season. Perhaps one or two are watching St Austell now as well.

Dan, you really do talk some tosh at times. 20 ex-Blazey fans at Mount Wise ? Really ? There are a couple of parents and that is it. Newquay fans are certainly making more of an effort to catch more SWPL games, but I haven't noticed any new faces at Mount Wise, just some that may have taken in 5-10 games a season now becoming regulars.

I note that your forum signature is inaccurate, perhaps you would like to change it or join the invisible 20 at Mount Wise ?

Whilst I agree that decent attendances are largely driven by decent results I think the way in which a club positions itself in the public eye is equally as important.

For example a club who invests time and resources in youth football is far more likely to yield long term success and gain the support of youth players, parents, general support and sometimes support from local businesses also.

Finding the balance between delivering success on the field and being patient whilst the youth develop at the same time has never been easy but is certainly more likely to yield longer term

success than a club which chooses to run with a short term gain benefactor.

With this in mind, it has to be noted that the powers to be at Newquay FC and the long term efforts of club persons such as Jim Hilton with the youth development at Newquay now provide the club with a very strong footing for future success, particularly when you look at the Newquay FC based county youth players.

Maybe a blueprint for us all to aspire to in Cornish football.

I wondered who would be the first to retaliate with this comment The Bald One! Well done for being first but no prizes I'm afraid!

If you read my post again, I refer to the previous tireless hard work behind the scenes which is on going to capture, embrace and retain some of the finest youth players from a young age at Newquay FC.

I'm not sure if you have any gripe with Newquay FC but don't get clouded if you have as the proof is in the pudding if you look at Newquay FC players representing the County Youth side let alone playing in the Newquay first team squad and indeed holding down regular positions in some cases.

This, The Bald One, has nothing to do with cash!

Newquays financial clout that so many seem to question, has been answered before. The 'budget' is a lot smaller than most think and is generated by income through the gates, tea-bar, 50/50 and ground advertisers. The FLYBE deal has nothing to do with the SWPL side other than the logo on shirts, any money from the deal has and is being put to improving facilities for players of all ages, spectators and the pitch.

BTW, Newquays average gate will be the highest in all 3 Divs by the end of the season. We haven't had the local Boxing Day game yet or the run in to the end of the season when we hopefully (finally) will lift the West Title.

As for advertising matches, all Newquay AFC SWPL games are advertised to over 250 Facebook members, on the official club website and by the weekly reports in the Newquay Voice. In addition, the Cornwall U18's game this weekend v Wiltshire was highlighted in the local paper and again on Facebook / website. No less than 7 Newquay AFC youngsters will represent their county at their home ground. That is the real investment, getting the youngsters involved, around 600 in total and build for the future.

I'm sure that Money Man would approve, he has done wonders at Poltair in the last two years. If others want to see how a club should be run, pop along to Mount Wise, we have no Russians or Spurs fans in charge here.

Ok I'm happy to stray off topic to give you my opinion. Of course I believe a team has a better chance to succeed if they have acquired the services of quality players, but that team still has to gel and follow a Strategy and a remit in order to deliver success. Look at some of the teams over the years put together reputedly by means of cash by a well known ex-professional manager and still failed to deliver!!

Secondly on the ex St Blazey players point you made, the few who I have contact with apparently chose to join Newquay not only for success but for less or same expenses as they received at St Blazey.

Nemesis thank you!!!

Its important to always have your club on your mind all the time, always a new potential supporter/sponsor only a conversation away.

I think bar Buckland.... St Austell and Newquay are among the best run clubs in the SWP Leagues. We have both learnt from serious mistakes in the past.

Neither club has a sole benefactor and depend on the hard work of a good commitee to achieve the best results.

"The Bald one" a side doing well is not always down to budget !!!!!!!!!!

Money Man

Nemesis thank you!!!

Its important to always have your club on your mind all the time, always a new potential supporter/sponsor only a conversation away.

I think bar Buckland.... St Austell and Newquay are among the best run clubs in the SWP Leagues. We have both learnt from serious mistakes in the past.

Neither club has a sole benefactor and depend on the hard work of a good commitee to achieve the best results.

Money Man

Money Man , I never actually said it was. I just asked if this could be the case in this instance ?

I dont think it is, I echo Pingus comment...

"Apparently chose to join Newquay not only for success but for less or same expenses as they received at St Blazey"

As for Nemesis stating that Newquay could finish the season with the highest attendance ave, thats a good shout and would be some achievment, but I think St Austell will have something to say with the installation of the floodlights allowing for evening games from January.

Money Man

Looking at the Falmouth average attendances it shows an increase when being successful but there is the hard core support win or lose

Average-

2006-07 .SWL .Pos.10th Att.111

2007-08 SWPL. Pos..4th. Att.120

2008-09 SWPL.Pos.14th. Att. 93

2009-10 SWPL.Pos..3rd..Att.135

2010-11 SWPL.Pos..5th..Att.120

2011-12 SWPL.Pos..4th..Att.128 Current season

Nemesis thank you!!!

Money Man

Camelford must be one of the best run clubs, every penny needs to be fund raised as they have no club house or rich benefactor, they have virtually the same committee running the club as they have had for over 20 years.

If each SWPL club were to (honestly) declare their playing budgets for the season , and it was to be arranged from top to bottom, then I suspect that it would not look much different to the final league table . Make of that what you will .

Money does talk in this league . You do get sides who over achieve on smaller budgets from time to time ( Torpoint last season for example) , but invariably these sides break up as the players are lured away by the promise of the filthy lucre that the moneyed clubs promise .

A decade ago, 2-300 was the norm for us. Around 100 ex-Blazey fans can now be seen down Treyew Road on a Saturday afternoon along with perhaps 20 who followed last year's Blazey side to Mount Wise in the close season. Perhaps one or two are watching St Austell now as well.

Dan, you really do talk some tosh at times. 20 ex-Blazey fans at Mount Wise ? Really ? There are a couple of parents and that is it. Newquay fans are certainly making more of an effort to catch more SWPL games, but I haven't noticed any new faces at Mount Wise, just some that may have taken in 5-10 games a season now becoming regulars.

I note that your forum signature is inaccurate, perhaps you would like to change it or join the invisible 20 at Mount Wise ?

I'm glad it's only "at times"