Cornwall Football Forum

Cadbury Heath 1, Falmouth Town 2 (aet)

A cracking FA Vase tie at Springfield this afternoon between 2 good sides saw Cornish side Falmouth progress to the next round of the FA Vase with a match winning goal 2 minutes from the end of extra time. :c: :c:

Falmouth began well with a header against the post inside 5 minutes, whilst Cadbury Heath responded 8 minutes later with a shot by Jason Base being well saved by Town keeper Jason Chapman, after a great flick on by Mark Reynolds. Falmouth's Dan Green then fired just wide of goal with a long range effort (17), but then after that, Cadbury Heath began to exert themselves & put the visitors under pressure. Mark Reynolds went close with a header at the far post, the home side forced several corners, the last of which saw Jason Base volley wide when well placed. (Talking of corners, Falmouth must have had around 20 themselves by the end of the game!!)

On 24 minutes, Jason Base missed a great chance to give CH the lead when he headed over when well placed following a good move, but back came Falmouth & No 5 Lee Rundle - probably the best player on the pitch over the 120 minutes - headed just over the CH bar in a Falmouth attack, which relieved some of the pressure at his own end. But 2 minutes later, the pressure was back on again as CH no 4 Joe Chandler rattled the Falmouth bar with a 40 yard strike which deserved a goal. CH kept coming forward & in a goalmouth mellee, a Falmouth defender cleared the ball off the line by heading it over the bar as a goal looked certain. The rest of the half continued in a similar vein, with CH in the ascendancy & Town under pressure, with first a shot by David Doe being saved by Town keeper Jason Chapman (35) & then in the final moments of the half, a free kick by Nick Dyer just cleared the Falmouth bar.

HT 0-0, but it was Cadbury Heath asking most of the questions.

Falmouth started the 2nd half well, with first Shane White firing over the home bar, following a good move, but then on 49 minutes, Town went ahead with a 20-yard strike from Matt Drummond as he came through in the inside right position. That kick-started Falmouth into some pressure of their own & they forced numerous corners & CH were clearly rattled. Ian Hodges should have made it 2-0 to Falmouth (59), but he headed over when well placed, but the remaining half hour saw CH up their own game again as they chased an equaliser. First, a long range drive from Joe Chandler was blocked, then a Mark Reynolds strike (66) was cleared for a corner, but then Falmouth's Matt Drummond fired over the bar from close range. A rocket shot from CH's Nick Dyer was somehow blocked by Town keeper Jason Chapman - not sure if he even saw it, to be honest - but the game was now evenly balanced with the home side making every effort to save the tie.

It paid off on 76 minutes, when they levelled the scores; a low cross from sub Jordan Greenwood was turned into his own net by Falmouth defender Karl Turner whilst under pressure. It seemed to be mostly CH after that, as they went chasing a winner to avoid a replay in Cornwall next weekend. Reynolds headed the ball wide when he seemed certain to score & 2 free kicks were well saved by Town keeper Jason Chapman. Not to be outdone, Falmouth's Ian Hodges almost clinched the win with 2 minutes left when he broke clear from yet another CH attack, only to see the ball go just over the bar after he had cleverly chipped the CH keeper.

After 90 minutes then, 1-1 and it's now a question of who's the stronger side in extra time.......

Into extra time then, and as tiredness was bound to set in, it was much of a muchness & the two sides were well balanced for the bulk of the two periods, as they tested each other out, eager not to maker any errors. In the first period, Matt Drummond headed a good chance wide for Falmouth, whilst at the other end, away keeper Jason Chapman did well to save 2 decent strikes. The 2nd period again saw both sides trying to win the game, but it was finally decided in the 118th minute when Falmouth broke clear down the right & I believe it was no 11 Mark Vercesi who fired a low drive across goal from right to left into the far left corner of the net & that proved to be the winning goal.

It was a shame anyone had to lose this game, but that's football. This was a cracking game and a great advert for the FA Vase & these 2 clubs. These were 2 good sides & they combined to give us a great match. The gate was 120 & it was great to meet up with my old mate Falmouth fan Mike Odgers & some of his pals. For CH, ex-Mango defender Danny Hallett had a great game at the back whilst, as stated earlier, Lee Rundle was outstanding for Falmouth.

Well done then to both sides and good luck to Falmouth Town in the next round. Safe journey home tonight lads as well!! :c: :c:

Got home just after 11pm.

Great report Dave It was much appreciated by the Chairman as he passed his mobile (report) around the coach.

I have just relived the game again and obviously happy with the result.

Two teams hardfought but no nastiness whatsoever and to be honest the result could have gone either way with end to end incessant play.

I sense Cadbury were not too disappointed as there was a result and no long travel to Falmouth for a replay.

Cadbury were a good attacking side much better than I anticipated with 2 livewire widemen a constant threat.

The biggest satisfaction was the friendliness and hospitality of the host club-probably the best in all my Vase travels going back to the mid 80.s. A great spread and stew/roll for all who travelled

Met the Larkhall party on the way down to Bodmin at the Exeter Services and left them wary after telling them how good Bodmin were but it was all smiles when we passed by again -not so the Saltash group who were rather subdued

Report already up on the Cadbury website quote first paragraph-

"these two teams served up a fantastic game of football that in all reality no team deserved to lose-both teams were a credit to themselves-their clubs and their leagues"

Hi Mike, glad the report was of use to you all. It's on our Mangos forum as well. Hope you didn't get home too late!

As I said yesterday, I hadn't been to Cadbury Heath for maybe 10 years or so, when the Mangos last had a friendly there & in those days, they didn't have lights & that made the ground even harder to find! No Google maps then! Eve so, it still wasn't quite so straight forward yesterday either, even though I could see the lights above the roof tops - just actually finding a way into the ground was a test though! But now we all know where it is. Yes, they're a good decent club & as I said, manager Andy Black & captain Danny Hallett are both past Mango heroes anyway, so it's good to see them doing well at a lower level. I see Cadbury Heath are now at home again next weekend, so I will bear that one in mind, seeing as the Mangos are on the road yet again (Hungerford this time!!), but I also see that the mighty Ilfracombe Town are away to Bishop Sutton, which is my side of Bristol, so that could be the one for me next Saturday. Hope you get a good home draw on Monday!

There is a short (you tube) preview of the Vase tie on the Previous post "Cadbury melted by Town"

Recognised a few "shady" looking characters just back from localKing William pub lurking around the tea bar lol

Just remembered I had my photo taken with the Cadbury President before we left to add to their wall of fame-Oh No!

Terry Mitchell-Mr Cadbury Heath himself

Now you are asking Nigel-basically it is a suburb of East Bristol and according to the club President it was once a secluded village in his time.

But they are affiliated to the Gloucester F A

The coach driver took the ring road to get there and "boy" I am so glad I didnt drive it

Apparently one supporter on the way home in dark went left instead of right and even with sat nav had a nightmare journey through the city centre.

Great community and friendly club

Thoroughly enjoyed the match, end to end stuff. Have to say, was slightly rooting for Cadbury, following Fal's demolition job on us in the previous round, but still good to see at least on SWPL side through! Must say enjoyed the tongue in cheek Presidents page in the programme, gave me a chuckle anyway.

After the game stopped off in Bedminster until 8pm for a few drinks with a friend of my driver, wasn't too pleased to see prices of £3.70 for a lager and £3 for a pint of coke though!

Sorry to hear that Bedminster pub prices are so dear, having been born & bred in "Bemmie" & lived there all my life until 8 years ago, but I guess it's like that in Bristol anyway - big city prices & so on, as pubs struggle to stay open these days.

By the way, there were 3 good pictures of the Cadbury Heath game in the Bristol Evening Post today, which were good to see - even if one of them was of the own goal!. Never mind, the Town got through in the end, so good luck in the next round.

Sorry to hear that Bedminster pub prices are so dear, having been born & bred in "Bemmie" & lived there all my life until 8 years ago, but I guess it's like that in Bristol anyway - big city prices & so on, as pubs struggle to stay open these days.

By the way, there were 3 good pictures of the Cadbury Heath game in the Bristol Evening Post today, which were good to see - even if one of them was of the own goal!. Never mind, the Town got through in the end, so good luck in the next round.

Our fault for going to a 'posh' pub.... no pork scratchings on offer, but you could buy a bowl of hummus and dippers for a bar snack.... :blink:

(just noticed the 100 pics on CHFC website.... pic 19 is a photo of me doing a report for Bucklands programme...)