Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v BodminTown

Falmouth got exactly what they deserved out of this much-anticipated game, nothing. Bodmin got their tactics spot on and Falmouth played into their hands with an incessant long-ball game that towards the end got exceedingly boring! Continually offside, Falmouth insisted on handing the initiative and indeed the ball to their opponents who played to their strengths and took their chances well. The penalty decision for Falmouth was absolutely correct but why Miller didn't get sent off, let alone booked is beyond me! I expect the young referee's assessor in the stand may have something to say in his debrief. I've watched him at Dartmouth v Parkway and a recent Helston game and I feel he needs to get a grip of the games early on, not to be intimidated by so-called 'big' names of local football and be more decisive when dealing with the mundane aspects of being the man in the middle. Overall a disappointing game for Falmouth who will not challenge for Premier League honours this year on the strength of that performance.

A good game, but not the best football you will ever see. Falmouth started well and forced miller In to a couple of smart early saves. Matthews had a goal dissallowed on 10/ 15 mins only to get 1 not long after. Soon it was 2, this time from the spot by carter when a Bodmin player was brought down by chapman who somehow avoided any caution at all. 2 Falmouth players did get booked for protesting, mainly because the other Bodmin striker blocked the defenders run to the ball! 2-0 ht. Falmouth were poor and lumped the ball upfield as quick and as often as they could. Bodmin lumped the ball up either channel for their wingers or strikers to run into. Bodmin got a third when chapman dropped a ball into the box and brokenshire beat him to it to slam home from close range. Falmouth then had a man sent off for a second caution and got a lifeline when miller fumbled a miss hit shot straight at him which resulted in him pushing the striker with both hands out of the way. Versaci made no mistake, 3-1 with 15 to go. Falmouth played well with 10 men and looked to grab another. Unfortunately by commiting men forward they left space at the back and Bodmin missed a few chances to increase their lead. They were not to be denied though scoring again through carter as he ran through and lofted the ball over the advancing keeper as he dived at his feet, and again with virtually the last kick of the game to make it 5-1. Quite a few there tonight, reckon about 150/170! The ref did ok, you want a strong ref for a big game like this and it's hard when you have 22 players giving you advice and shouting in your face all the time. Let alone both benches, especially bodmins! How players get away with half the things they do at this level is beyond me. You can hear them swearing at the officials from all around the ground! Kicking the ball away when the opposition have a free kick etc. Very petty. Overall like I said, a good game that came alive in the last 15 mins, If not the prettiest football you will ever see.

I wasn't there tonight but I was told the gate was estimated at 260

The referee was from Exeter and two Plymouth assistants- seems harsh on expediture

This result ended Falmouth's 25 match(Peninsula) unbeaten run at Bickland which lasted 15months

Its not Falmouth's heaviest SWPL defeat at Bickland that honour goes tp Plymouth Parkway 1-6 2008-09

As I said in the programme notes Bodmin have the best squad in the League and are hot favourites to claim the title based around a settled side season to season.

Just hope the Cadbury Heath spies were there lol

Summed up well Rocket Ronnie. Falmouth came up short on tonight's performance, but as always it could have been a "what if" if Ian Hodges had scored in the opening minutes - a 6 yard effort blocked by Kevin Miller, and then later in the half hitting the post.

Town gifted Bodmin the opening goal (Rundle back header leaving Chapman exposed), and then the 'keeper fumbled enabling Brokenshire to blast home for the third and decisive goal.

Falmouth started with new signing Chris Menhenick at the back, which meant the central partnership of Shane White and Lee Rundle was split up. White playing as right-back. Some would ask if Alan should have perhaps stuck with a winning side for an important match like this one? :ninja:

Naturally we are disappointed at tonight's result but to be fair, the scoreline was a little flattering although Bodmin were the better side on the pitch. Christmas came early with our gifts to Bodmin!!

The crowd was exactly 252 and that was amazing considering England were on the box. It just goes to prove that the best football is always local and live!!

Thanks to everyone who turned up tonight and to the hard working staff at Bickland Park.

Let's hope we get back to winning ways in the FA Vase this saturday.

Major B)

Kevin Miller did,nt deserve to get swent off the referee was spot on.

Miller had a tame shot straigt at him and whilst trying to grasp the ball he dropped it at the feet of the town striker who pushed the ball away from goal towards the corner flag (direction) millers momentum brought down the striker which was deemed to be a foul and the referee pointed to the spot. To be sent off you have to deny a goal scoring opurtunity, the striker was going away from goal/didnt have the ball under control.

Referee had a fair game

I HAVE SEEN BODMINS LAST THREE LEAGUE GAMES ALTHOUGH I AM NOT A REGULAR FAN. IF YOU BEAT FALMOUTH AWAY 5.1 AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN GOING SO WELL OF LATE AND REIGNING CHAMPIONS BUCKLAND 7.0 AND LISKEARD 3.1 BOTH AT HOME GIVING BODMIN 9 POINTS AND 15 GOALS FOR AND JUST 2 AGAINST IN THAT THREE GAME RUN WHO IS OUT THERE WHO CAN STOP A THIRD TITLE GOING TO PRIORY PARK I SUGGEST NO ONE. BUT WILL THEY TAKE THE CHALLANGE OF WESTERN LEAGUE FOOTBALL AND TEST THEMSELVES AT THE HIGHER LEVEL OR ARE THEY CONTENT TO KEEP WINNING THE SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE.

Kevin Miller did,nt deserve to get swent off the referee was spot on.

Miller had a tame shot straigt at him and whilst trying to grasp the ball he dropped it at the feet of the town striker who pushed the ball away from goal towards the corner flag (direction) millers momentum brought down the striker which was deemed to be a foul and the referee pointed to the spot. To be sent off you have to deny a goal scoring opurtunity, the striker was going away from goal/didnt have the ball under control.

Referee had a fair game

They were both in the 6 yard box at the time of the offence and the striker had only 'nudged' the ball away from Kev and would have undoubtedly scored - therefore penalty and straight red card. The 3 referees who I was sat with (including the assessor!!) all agreed that the young ref got that one wrong.

Well I think all three got it wrong ,I was by the entrance and had a clear view the player may have only nudged the ball away but he was going away from goal he didnt have the ball under control and he definately would have struggled to score after nudging the ball away as both players were tight against the post and the ball was nudged in the direction of the corner flag.

If the same incident happened in the town goal would you have said send the keeper off? Should Chapman have been sent off earlier in the game

Well I think all three got it wrong ,I was by the entrance and had a clear view the player may have only nudged the ball away but he was going away from goal he didnt have the ball under control and he definately would have struggled to score after nudging the ball away as both players were tight against the post and the ball was nudged in the direction of the corner flag.

If the same incident happened in the town goal would you have said send the keeper off? Should Chapman have been sent off earlier in the game

I agree, if Chapman was indeed the player to bring down the Bodmin attacker then yes, he should have gone. I was slighlty unsighted on that one though and slightly confused because the only player to emerge from the melee with a card was Devine! Explanation anyone? As for the players being 'against the post', your angle in the corner would have precluded you from seeing that they were actually mid goal and it would've only required a touch to score, thus should have been red!

i was behind the bodmin goal when the penalty incident occured.it was a clear goal scoring oppertunity and kevin miller made no attempt to get the ball.the foul was a push in the chest on hodges, the ball was at his feet.as the ref deemed it to be a penalty then surely it has to be a red card if not a yellow.as it was he wielded neither.Bodmin deserved the win without doubt.they closed falmouth down and got their tackles in forcing town into long ball tactics.whenever i`ve seen falmouth in the past they`ve played their best football on the floor where it should be.

I dont follow either of the above teams but some of you are a bit blinkered and want every decision to go your way (which is probably not a bad thing) However if you take time to read the back page of the Falmouth Pkt you will see that the town manager focused his entire write up on the referee He did,nt turn up till late he was too young he made all the wrong decisions.But one things for sure he did,nt score 5 goals for Bodmin. I always study the Indy Results/Fixtures and look out for various stats like who havent lost ect And one thing to note is that Falmouth Town are infact conceding too many goals at the moment to warrant pushing for the league average goals against in the top 5 is 17 Falmouth goals against 23 having played less games, anyway lets agree to disagree hope Falmouth have another good run of results starting with a win at Cadbury Heath in the cup Good luck to all at Falmouth