Cornwall Football Forum

favourite refs

Guest smashing pumpkin

Guest smashing pumpkin

who evrybodys favorite refs , random question i know but thought we could do with some

postive feedback on refs instead of negative which we often see on here.

there always a smile on my face when i see nigel jewell reffing my matches great ref.

also phil cuthbert i think his name is a another good ref .

only postive replays please no naming your worse if you know what i mean

Good post pumpkin! I think the majority of ref's we have in the Trelawny league are pretty good. Most of the them are nice blokes just out to enjoy a Saturday afternoon game of football as much as the players. A lot of the really good ones have already been mentioned by the guys but there are loads more and if you take the time to talk to them and give them the respect they deserve for doing a bloody difficult job then the players will probably get some respect back. ( I agree that we have a couple of little Hitlers as well though! Which is a shame on the other 99%.) What if everytime the players made a mistake the ref came up and said 'You're crap'!! You would soon get fed up!! They can only give what they see and sometimes that is through a crowd of players or blind side and maybe not much help from a club linesman. i.e: a sub that does not want to be doing it anyway!!) I reffed my lads U.13 game yesterday and made mistakes for sure. I didnt give a penalty as i thought the defender had clipped the players legs but definately took a bit of the ball just before, making it a good tackle so i gave a corner. My mate came up at half time and said how did you miss the obvious pen!!! Perhaps every player should ref a game to see it from that point of view and i tell you, you will appreciate the officials more after you've done it as you cant win! Make a good decision,play abit of advantage and it works out well for a team and i bet they don't say 'thanks ref,great advantage'!! But make a mistake and get berated!! Just remember they are human and can't get every decision spot on. Have a think next time you are about to shout at a ref as a player,manager or spectator. We can't have a game without them!! :clapper::thumbsup: :c:

Good post pumpkin! I think the majority of ref's we have in the Trelawny league are pretty good. Most of the them are nice blokes just out to enjoy a Saturday afternoon game of football as much as the players. A lot of the really good ones have already been mentioned by the guys but there are loads more and if you take the time to talk to them and give them the respect they deserve for doing a bloody difficult job then the players will probably get some respect back. ( I agree that we have a couple of little Hitlers as well though! Which is a shame on the other 99%.) What if everytime the players made a mistake the ref came up and said 'You're crap'!! You would soon get fed up!! They can only give what they see and sometimes that is through a crowd of players or blind side and maybe not much help from a club linesman. i.e: a sub that does not want to be doing it anyway!!) I reffed my lads U.13 game yesterday and made mistakes for sure. I didnt give a penalty as i thought the defender had clipped the players legs but definately took a bit of the ball just before, making it a good tackle so i gave a corner. My mate came up at half time and said how did you miss the obvious pen!!! Perhaps every player should ref a game to see it from that point of view and i tell you, you will appreciate the officials more after you've done it as you cant win! Make a good decision,play abit of advantage and it works out well for a team and i bet they don't say 'thanks ref,great advantage'!! But make a mistake and get berated!! Just remember they are human and can't get every decision spot on. Have a think next time you are about to shout at a ref as a player,manager or spectator. We can't have a game without them!! :clapper::thumbsup::c:

Am i reading this right rappo??? You have made a mistake?? You have just burst my bubble about you mate - you will always be perfect in my eyes lol!!!!

Reeksy!! So funny

after making a late tackle once(not dirty) reeksy asked me to come over for a word, he reached into his pocket for his cards i then said "i got there as quick as i could"

he took one look at my bulky frame ,left his cards in his pocket patted me on the back and said, "be a bit quicker next time"

LEG-END

We had Neil Harvey on Saturday and was probably the best ref we've had for 2 seasons.....was consisent, communicated with the player and let the game flow....could have produced a couple of cards but chose to give a few harsh words instead....no complaints about his performance at all.....and we lost.

A little off the subject i know but i have seen 3 very poor refs in the last 3 weekends,all 3 had big weight issues & didnt really leave the centre circle during the whole of the game/games.As i understand there is a fitness test for a ref & a really good ref has had to pack up this season do to a knee problem yet he was more mobile than the 3 i witnessed put together ! ! ! !.Any ideas any1 ?

as an ex senior ref myself i never criticise ha ha ha ha. when they reffed hayle. always told the officials before the game to expect some stick.but it was always done in good spirit.what a lot of players and managers seem to forget that if a player has a bad game the manager pulls him off.the ref is always on his own against 22 players and both team officials.they turn up every week so you can play football on sats so in my opinion they all deserve credit.

Charlie philpott by a mile the best ref around. Gets the respect from players and talks to you not down to you like a few of them around. Worst is Knowlsey, and the huge fat one from Falmouth, Rose or rosy I think

Sorry but you are so wrong about Rosy aka Steve Rose - one of the few ex-players turned referee who uses common sense because he has seen it and done it all as a player and knows when someone is being naughty or just clumsy or whatever. Refs like he used to play - hard but very fair and with a very approachable attitude. As for being fat??? I think he is just big boned but then you dontseem to have a good word for many people on here!!!