Cornwall Football Forum

Question for the referees

Here is a question for the referees.

Does the six second rule still apply. In other words the time it takes for the goalkeeper to receive the ball before releasing it.

I ask this because watching a Sky TV match involving Premier Division clubs I counted only twice during the match where a goalkeeper applied that rule. On average the time taken was between 10 and 15 seconds

Has that rule been dropped.

I think a large amount of common sence is applied ... Waiting till the keapers got full control of the ball and allowing him 2 stand up ... Giving the box a chance 2 clear after corners etc ... Then start the counting as long as all above is done @ a decent pace.

The goalkeeper is the last defender and deliberate handball , it could be classed as dogso, now the defender doing it is not the last defender under dogso so it`s a yellow. ( the goalkeeper would be behind him )..

Another ref jumping to the same old conclusion.

I never said the 'keeper 'deliberately' handled, in fact I doubt many 'keepers come out of the box intend doing so. I would suggest that in a race to the ball, a quicker striker will reach the ball first and flick, lob or chip the ball, the likelihood being that the ball will strike the 'keepers arm(s) as he charges out. That is not deliberate. !!!

'keepers seem to get unfairly punished and by doing so, his club are under a huge amount of pressure for the remainder of the game. I'm not suggesting that the laws be changed, just the interpretation by most officials.