Cornwall Football Forum

What a Difference!

I had the pleasure to attend the rugby game between St.Austell and Bideford last Saturday. What a difference to football.

I did not hear any bad language throughout the game, and on the one occasion when a player questioned the referee's decision, the 10 yard rule was immediately applied and the players retreated without any hassle.This took the attacking side to about 5 metres from the touchdown line.

On the two occasions when the yellow card was shown, the players immediately walked to the sinbin.

Why can't football introduce the 10 yard rule? This would have more effect than the Respect thing, and why don't Refs have the same authority as in rugby.

Just for interest i recently shared a changing room with a rugby referee and of course the conversation went down the discipline route and his comments were that it is not all sweetness and light as this original post tempts to lead us, as I left the changing room one of the rugby teams were coming back in after a warm down, I can assure you that the language used about the referee was disgraceful and unprintable on this or any forum.

yardage in rugby is important, makes bugger all difference in football. you could be given 10 yards when you're outside the box for a free kick and then you're in a position where its harder to get the ball up and over the wall, granted it can put you in shooting distance.

Free kicks are rarely taken in the right place anyway. Best thing I ever heard watching football, George Torrance for Falmouth a few years ago, had a free kick given in his own half, he through the ball up over the half way line, ref said, back in your own half George, George replied "whats the point, I'm only going to kick it harder" brilliant.

10 yards wouldn't work

People need to stop comparing rugby with football because they're nothing alike

Outsider, In my opinion the 10yd rule is not needed, I have no problems at all I just get the free kick taken as quick as possible and in doing that I keep the game flowing as much as possible and it has the effect of players having to get on with the game. Of course I have the sanction of a yellow card if players persist with showing dissent etc and I will use it if I feel it`s needed.

Even though the law has been removed, you can still enforce it. If a defending player fails to comply to your request, as the referee, you can move the free kick forward as that player has shown decent against you! Issuing a caution to the player and restarting play with an indirect free kick from the place where the decent took place. It could in fact be 20 or 30 yards forward. I myself use this method throughout the game for example to control bad language......... it's surprising how quickly teams learn.....

I'm a non-player, but had one of our ex-players make a good point last season. After the match he was chatting to the ref at the bar and when the ref left he said "bye Sir!".

I asked him why he'd said that (thinking it may have been an ex-teacher of his!). He replied that he'd never lost the habit of using "Sir" after he'd played rugby.

It then struck me how simple it would be for the league/fa to clamp down on all swearing/arguing/indiscipline/etc etc etc. It can be easily trialled as well.

One weekend, across all affiliated leagues, senior and junior, get all sides to address the official as "Sir".

Now I know that this will cause disgust and outrage form many fronts - and I look forward to seeing the comments ("must be earned/ never/" etc etc), but in my simple way of looking at things I fail to see how one can verbally abuse someone - and end the sentence with "Sir".( "Fu*k Off you t$%t..........Sir!") or to question a decision anyother way than politely - "offside" - "you have got to be having a laugh!............Sir".

Not Ref.....Not Phil......Not mate.....Not anything other than "Sir". For one match.

Simple really. In the trial no sanction should be imposed IF a player doesnt use the term, but it would be interesting to compare cautions for dissent in the previous weekend to those in the trial weekend. They must be generally consistent across all levels and divisions and the CCCFA would have the records, so if there was a drop then surely it would show it would work?

Dont get me wrong - At the end of the day if a ref makes an apparant error I still believe that a Club (Club mind, not a player) should be able to question the relevant decision and do feel that the lack of appeal in the new structure is a step in the wrong direction. However, if a player (manager or fan too) should swear at a ref, or abuse otherwise, then that is the player's fault - not the officials. So in my way of seeing it this re-addressing of the match official could work to Club's advantages.

Ok - flood gates open!

One weekend, across all affiliated leagues, senior and junior, get all sides to address the official as "Sir".

Not Ref.....Not Phil......Not mate.....Not anything other than "Sir". For one match.

I'd be a little offended if i was addressd as 'Sir' :D but good idea :thumbsup:

During my days as a referee I quite often moved the ball 10 yards against the offending team if one of their players gave me verbal. it worked as it drew the attention away from you and his fellow colleagues started to give him grief by telling him to shut up. Even if it was a defender giving me verbal when his team is on the attack for not giving him a free kick, his team would have the advantage, I would stop play, award a free kick to the opposistion at the spot where the defender was giving it grief. Do it the once and they will soon get the message. O happy days

Wouldn`t like to be called Sir as i think it makes a mockery of the fact that a referee is there to govern the laws of the game. If the referee does a good job then nothing need more to say, Some players call me Ref or by my name and it should not really matter, were it matters is when you are dealing with a player that shows dissent or persistenly infinges the laws of the game and goes completley against the spirit of the game breaking many other laws. All that matters to myself is that my hand is shaken after the game and thanks youv`e done a good job.

The biggest difference with the yellow cards in both games is the impact a yellow card has. In rugby if someone gets a yellow card then he sits down for 10 minutes in that game but a yellow card has little/no impact in the game cos a player knows he will still be able to carry on playing. Only if and when the punishment becomes immediate and affects the game that the "crime" has been committed, will players think twice because thier team mates wont want to play with reduced numbers.

Totally agree that the 10 yard rule was useless cos players can kick it as far as they want aka Turbo Torrance

The biggest difference with the yellow cards in both games is the impact a yellow card has. In rugby if someone gets a yellow card then he sits down for 10 minutes in that game but a yellow card has little/no impact in the game cos a player knows he will still be able to carry on playing. Only if and when the punishment becomes immediate and affects the game that the "crime" has been committed, will players think twice because thier team mates wont want to play with reduced numbers.

Totally agree that the 10 yard rule was useless cos players can kick it as far as they want aka Turbo Torrance

Agree with this. A 10 minute 'sin bin' as in rugby would deter a lot of players as it would affect their team immediately. That player would get a lot of stick if their team conceded during that power play!!

Not sure how it could be introduced but cant see a reason why not.

Dont see why it could not be introduced like all the other trial rules - start off in lower league junior football and see how it goes. It might also empower referees more and stop them from feeling harrangued and ultimately walking away from football all together.

The F.A. at whatever level might not be so keen but players could still receive a financial penalty.