Cornwall Football Forum

best young players in all div

Guest smashing pumpkin

Tom Jayne - Newquay 3rd team.

having played agaisnt newquay last season they had a few good players, but very young 16 years old but they will have a good team when they get more physical.

Nothing to upset me, but don't you think there are players in the trewlawny leagues that are more than capable of playing senior football and choose not too.

Maybe there are but to be a good player you have to be driven. Driven to be the best, to compete against the best around and then and only then can you be considered to be good - this is only my opinion!! Players must have ambition either to get into a team at the highest standard available or to take the team they are in as far as it can go. Too often players are happy to be a big fish in a little sea - and there a teams like that too - and personally I have no time for either no matter how good they are or are perceived to be, because when it all finishes for them they will regret it!!! And yes I will now be shot down by people on here but its how I was brought up in football terms.

Couldn't agree more with Le Boss. It's down to desire and dedication. I've just spent a couple of days working with the Brentford youth teams (u10, u12, u14 and u21) and the difference in ability and most importantly attitude of them compared to some of the youngsters down here is like night and day. The astonishing thing is that most of those lads I saw wont even make it in the pro game!

Mind you it's up to the coaches to give them the opportunity and help to improve, but in my experience many aren't too bothered.

I think a big problem in the last few years is that Junior clubs find it hard to hold onto young players because Senior clubs offer them senior football and naively these players think that playing Combo football is the "promised land" whether they are physically ready or have the ability. This is a big reason why the standard of Combo football has declined so rapidly. All too often youngsters move from Junior clubs to play Combo football only to find it is no fun being hammered every week and not enjoying it, and sometimes left out of teams because they are all of a sudden to young/not good enough. Managers of both Junior and Senior clubs, i feel, should have a duty of care to youngsters and try and explain that the grass is not always greener and make the youngsters understand that managers are not being selfish by not wwanting to lose their prospects.

Dare I suggest that some of the blame must be levelled at the Colleges/County Youth set-ups who insist on players being in Senior teams!! I know people will say to play for the county that they will be good enough to play senior football but you only have to look around at the standard - even the Peninsula League - to see that senior football is not really all that!!! Just my personal opinions

le boss - couldn't agree more! I have always felt that youngsters ought to serve their 'apprenticeships' in junior football. When I was a youngster, playing at some windswept, isolated venue on a saturday afternoon, being kicked all over the pitch by older guys, was very educational - it was sink or swim (In my case I almost drowned :). There are obviously some youngsters who have the ability to go straight into senior football and those that would probably benefit only from a brief stint in junior football but I know a lot of young players who thought, or were told, that they should be playing senior football only to find out that the time was not right and that they were either not good enough or not ready - some of them then spend time drifting from club to club and others actaully drop out of the game, rather than go into junior football where the chances are that they'll get a game every week which, for me, is the whole reason for playing. I'd much rather play in the Trelawney league each week than get splinters in my butt for a Combo side.

Unfortunately all the coaching manuals and videos dont give any instruction on how to deal with the kickers and hackers, the pushers and shovers and the intimidators, but that is what they will have to deal with. I see it time after time that a young lad of 15,16,17 & 18 can do all the tricks and juggling that ought to be in the circus, but put them in a game with contact and they dont have a clue or just dont fancy it. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but they are getting more and more scarce. Fortunately the said villains are slowly leaving the game but so is the art of tackling and looking after yourself.