Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Results Weds 19th October

The Club attracted players last season with/without much money and had a very acceptable season and a Cup final appearance. I dare say that Darren Edwards at Liskeard and Leigh Cooper at Launceston have much of a budget this season either, but look at their starts to the season.

Different climate, different generation, different social club demands, different economy, different beast "Youaintgotaclue".

Money was flying through the doors of almost every business in every industry until recent times and St Blazey were no exception to that, but times change and so does business. The bandits offered disposable cash in clubs & pubs back then and social clubs were the hub of every community, but with less people using social clubs now, there is no disposable cash for expenditure and therefore all businesses have to be sharper than sharp to rejuvenate income OR choose to streamline their costs & overheads. Not rocket science really is it, but it seems that St Blazey havent done enough of either!

Brian Brokenshire singed handedly to blame I think not, but nothing can be implemented or changed at St Blazey in football, finance or social club terms without his say so in order to boost the income. Perhaps he and the rest can be excused for preffering to see out their time at the Club without increasing debt/borrowing or even speculating to accumulate in any way, but in the meantime the debate of why St Blazey has fallen into the situation they currently find themselves goes on.

Simple terms, St Blazey is not the hub of their community, not an attractive sponsorship proposition, doesnt have a youth set up and still continues to not move with the times. All of the above contribute to the long term success and future of football at any Football Club, but I dont think Football is quite as important to the decision makers at St Blazey Football Club as it once was due to the burden of expense it carries.

i think if you look at the history of st blazey through good and bad the main nucleolus of the committee have been there throughout, ie mr brokenshire. how and where its all gone down hill no body knows exactly, blame the sponsors for with drawing there money, the fan for not supporting as posted in another thread some are staying away so not putting money behind the bar or is it just greed by over rated players thinking i play for blazey so want good money. mr brokenshire may be tight with money expenditure but the fact the club is there as a whole has to be more important to the real fan, i grew up around the club ive seen some great sides and poor sides but the club has always turned it around (with mr brokenshire at the helm through out) one way or another.

I've heard the sharks are certainly circling around mr Oatens job. But who would want this job. Was anyone else interview when it was up for grabs in the summer ?? Apprently the players have already started discussing one possible name as to who could end up there. If that's the case has bobby lost the dressing room. ???

It's a real shame whats going on at Blazey at the moment, hope they can turn there season around. Iv'e watched a lot of premier league games over the years, but for me the best game iv'e ever watched envolved St Blazey in the South Western League.It must have been over 20 years ago they were playing Falmouth at Bickland in an evening kick off, it finished something like Falmouth Town 5 St Blazey 7.

The Club attracted players last season with/without much money and had a very acceptable season and a Cup final appearance. I dare say that Darren Edwards at Liskeard and Leigh Cooper at Launceston have much of a budget this season either, but look at their starts to the season.

Camelford are doing ok with no budget, got no real stars but what they have got is loyalty, a few players have been offered money by other clubs but choose to stay. Much of the squad have been together for about 4 years now and in that time they have been to a senior cup final, won the west division easily, which some clubs have and still are, chucking pounds at to try and win. Some say the west league is stronger this year than last but Camels have played Newquay, Penryn and Helston this year and beat them all, and they are the 3 leading teams in the league, so that argument doesn't hold up. I admit you will need a budget to win the top prize of the SWPL premier but only 1 team can win that, and then the prize is only £2500. Big budgets put clubs under, it's happened before and it will happen again. Keep your pecker up St Blazey and your fortunes will change if you have good backroom staff like the Camels and the clubs above have.

Can Bobby Oaten really survive this string of results? 1 draw and 11 defeats in the last 12 is pretty desperate and relegation form - even in October. He may be a nice chap but how long will they put up with this.

This should read 1 win and 11 defeats. Just setting the record straight! :)

Can Bobby Oaten really survive this string of results? 1 draw and 11 defeats in the last 12 is pretty desperate and relegation form - even in October. He may be a nice chap but how long will they put up with this.

This should read 1 win and 11 defeats. Just setting the record straight! :)

Sorry but I think I'm right - one draw away at Elburton and 11 defeats. Taken from St.Blazey's own website.

Clearly very difficult times for a club with such an esteemed history and loyal support.

I have no axe to grind in any direction but I wonder why Bob Oaten, nice and sincere gentleman he may be, was re-appointed after his culling following a defeat at Falmouth a couple of seasons previous?

Also, why was a 'local hero' in the process of building an improving team allowed to leave taking the backbone of a cup final team with him?

Some might say money to this question, but I would dispute that by saying the team played a large part of last season for little or no money and clearly showed commitment to both management and club. As for the local player issue, the team did include locals last season as well as players from further afield, some of which had been there long enough to be considered nearly local.

Clearly it is time to go back the drawing board and place egos to one side.

Bobby was only with St Austell for a couple of weeks so didnt get to know them that well.. The clown comment was a bit strong Simon!!!

Local managers attract local players.. FACT

If the money is no more than last year then being not at the Bottom of the league is an achievment in itself..

No more than last year. He is a nice guy but he dosent know how to run a team. If he got on with the St Austell lads when he was in charge then maybe he would of been able to persuade some of them to switch over, but they all think hes a clown and hasnt got a clue! Sorry bob

A comment like that says more about the Snozzle boys than it does about Sir Bob.

last season when tony reynolds took over at hayle he had no money no team and no long term prospects.they finished bottom of the league,but with the backing of the club and the loyalty he has for the club he didn,t walk away.we still have no money but a bunch of players thro out the club who, from the first down to the fourth team want to play for hayle.all four teams are in the top half of there respective leagues.it is very easy to stand back and critise managers but with no money to bring in new players it isn,t backstabing and criticism they need, its backing and support.you will always get players who move for money and show no loyalty but it,s the times we live in.

I think what everybody is failing to recognize here is that the players brought in just are not up to the standard. I Understand that it takes time to gel however doesn't help that the players signed on don't seem to be available regularly. Bobby is facing a very difficult task to build a team and get instant results the gap is getting greater and greater all the time. With regards to local players playing for the club unfortunately Bobby has a limited knowledge of the local area players and inevitably is signing players that he knows.

The main two problems with the SWPL (particularly the Premier) at the moment is player loyalty and the the hard fact that money talks, because an extra £10 or £20 a week will make players travel that extra bit further for that extra bit of wedge.

It's not so bad in Div One (East & West) because the majority of clubs tend to go for more local talent.....probably because they don't have to pay them so much which is just as well because these clubs tend to have smaller budgets anyway.

To be a decent manager in the SWPL Premier takes a few vital ingredients:

1) Qualifications and knowledge of the game

2) Man management skills (especially when dealing with overated big time charlies on £70+ per week)

3) The ability to motivate players to wanna play for you and/or the club (preferably both)

4) Knowledge of the League and all (or most of) the players in it.....not just from where you come from (i.e. Plymouth).

5) The ability to spot young talent good enough to make it at the respective level and develop it

6) A plan

7) The backing of a like minded board / committee

8) The balls to make difficult decisions for the benefit of the team / club that may make you unpopular

9) A general style of play you believe will bring success to the team

and of course money......preferably lots of it!!

With the right budget a lot of managers can get by with only a few of 1 - 9.....without money you probably need all of them.

With the right budget you can either get the best players that fit your style of play or like a few managers do get the best players and try to fit a style of play around them.

Without the money you have to rely on what you possess from 1-9 and hope for the best.

Experienced as he is it would seem Bobby is currently working without a massive budget and is falling down in certain areas listed above......my guess would be a combination of....2, 3, 4, 7 & 8

With that many problems.....He's on a hiding to nothing but is not the kind of guy to walk away and there are people on the committee at St Blazey that know that.

Just an opinion.

St Dennis FC have proved that you dont need to pay players to be succesful! I take my hat off to Bobby for going back to Blazey after what they did to him previously, not many managers would of taken the job on again. If they get rid of Bobby again then they will struggle to find a manager willing to take it on. Lets just leave Bobby get on with it and see where Blazey finish come end of the season, maybe then people can start debating what they think or what should happen.