Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance Match Report

Recommended Posts

Cornwall Combination League

18th October 2011

Penzance Reserves 3-5 RNAS Culdrose

Penzance were coasting 2-1, playing the better football when a serious injury to Marcus Smith made them lose their composure. A player is sent off and Culdrose score three identical goals from free kicks before a late goal brings some respectability to the scoreline.

The game kicks off with Penzance all over Culdrose but not really having a chance on goal until the 8min. Jimmy England runs down the left, crosses long to Harry Corin who heads in high from 10yds.

4mins later and the Magpies are 2-0 up. Working the ball down the right the ball is volleyed in but is cleared left to Marcus Smith who volleys goal-wards, the ball taking a slight deflection to beat the keeper.

Smith almost gets another when he beats the off-side trap, volleys low but the keeper dives to grab.

18mins gone and a third goal is scored, this time at the other end. A throw on their left, back to thrower, lay off to Alan McGuinness who dribbles past a couple of players before firing a low shot past keeper Dan Baber.

Penzance break with a through ball to Smith who is chopped down. The ref doesn’t give a penalty just a corner as the Culdrose keeper makes a great palm away from a shot from a deflected ball. Smith stays down and receives treatment eventually having to be carried off the pitch and is taken to hospital (It is his knee and we learn later that his season is over).

The corner comes in long for a Tom Putterill header which Culdrose clear off the line.

Another Penzance break sees Jimmy England try to chip the keeper but his ball just drops behind the back post. Culdrose try a chip and Baber has to leap to finger-tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

33mins and it is level pegging. Culdrose get a free kick on their right from a tackle by Ryan Holland. 40yds out, the ball is lobbed in long by Shane Abraham, allowing Richard Wilkinson to run in and head the ball into the net cross goal.

3mins later and from the same place they take another free kick by Abraham and ditto as above but it’s now 2-3.

On 39mins Holland is sent off for a second bookable offence.

Nothing else happens during the half.


Culdrose start to make the most of their one man advantage and on 50mins go 4-2 up again from poor defending from an identical free kick involving the same two players.

A Culdrose break on the right results in Baber having to do a high diving palm away from a vicious shot. Another break through the middle and it’s one-on-one but their striker sees his 30yd shot bounce off the bottom of the post and away. Baber is forced to make a high one-handed diving palm away following a break and shot from 35yds.

Just as it looks like the game is over in the 89min Culdrose work the ball right to left for Jamie Dobson to fire in cross goal from the edge of the box.

With the score at 2-5 Penzance kick off in the 90th minute. The ball is pushed forward to Matthew Best who lashes in a low 25yd drive to add a goal to Penzance’s tally.


Penzance imploded! 3 identical goals scored against them and a sending off for the second game in a row.

Penzance: Dan Baber, Matthew Best, Tom Putterill, Andy Annis, Dean Mooney, Harry Corin, Ed Wilkes, Graham Stirr, Marcus Smith, Ryan Holland, Jimmy England

Subs: Lewis Caspall (Smith 21), Saul Pankhurst (Putterill 72), Jamie Hooper, Jordan Anderson, Will Southcott

Corners: Penzance 5-7 Culdrose (2-3 1st half)

Fouls conceded: Penzance 9-8 Culdrose

Crowd - 38

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...