Cornwall Football Forum

justice at last ?

whuru

Earlier on this evening i was flicking through the channels and stubbled across the Hillsborough files debate in the house of commons, where the local liverpool MP northam gave a heart rentching speach and read out the names of the 96 people that lost their lives. The home secretary has now given the go ahead for every file and papers concerned with the tragedy to be made available for the hillsborough independent committee without censorship and finally the truth will come out of police and civil servant negligience, A member of the committee also read a couple of witness statements made by police officers who blamed their own west yorkshire police officers for not having a clue what to do, notes were attached to these statements by senior officers telling the officers to rewrite certain sections as it makes it appear "They (the fans) were better organised than us".

Also it appears that football chief executive graham kelly was the man who gave the order for gate C to be opened (Not smashed down as reported by the sun amongst others) and it appears at 3.15pm that kelly and chief inspector duckenfield were already telling the press that what was going on was as a direct result of drunken liverpool fans.

Unknown to the relatives at the time was that blood was taken from every victim, including a 10 year old boy, to try and prove their alchol theory and relatives who came to identify dead ones were subject to interogation as if they were responsible....

It also appears that the home secretary will also press news international into revealling who fed them the information accusing liverpool fans of pickpocketing dead fans , urinating over police and attacking police and ambulance crews who were trying to give cpr.

This person/s alone is responsible for besmerching these deads fans memories and putting their relatives through hell for the last 22 years and should be held accountable as should everyone behind this outrageous cover up

These revalations have come out in the last week or so as the committee have started to recieve documents so who knows what else is to come but it wont be pretty.

I visited Hillsborough at the first game back at the ground when west ham played there on the 29th april and i have to admit i like many supporters in the ground from both sides just kept staring at the empty leppings lane end and shaking our heads in a very subdued atmosphere i remember it bringing tears to my eyes and i wasn't the only one.......

So finally after 22 years of heartache perhaps now the city of liverpool will get to learn the truth of that fateful day 15th april 89.......

I've never watched a sustained period of the Parliament Channel in my life, but last night it was all recorded, I knew a few that were there in the public gallery as well. Some very emotional speaches read out, none more so than Steve Rotheram who read out all 96 names and ages. There were MP's that were there, there were MP's that knew people there.

Finally the "Real Truth" of that day will come out and the cover up that happened after the day will be outed as well.

Nice to hear the Sun newspaper getting a real good roasting in there as well. Hopefully now, people and football fans will see the paper for what it really is. And to think that there are Liverpool supporters who still buy the paper as well and promote things in it such as Fantasy Football.

JUSTICE

Maybe when they get their "JUSTICE" as you put it, they can then look into who caused this disaster and bring them to task???

1985: Fans die in Heysel rioting

Thirty-nine Juventus football fans have died during rioting at the European Cup Final in Brussels.

The tragedy occured when a wall collapsed in the stadium and crushed Juventus fans as they tried to escape Liverpool supporters.

The two sets of supporters had spent the day drinking in the Belgian city and had arrived at the Heysel stadium waving flags and chanting.

But shortly before kick off the atmosphere turned violent and Liverpool supporters stampeded through a thin line of police towards the rival fans.

As the Juventus fans retreated a wall collapsed under the pressure and fans were crushed and trampled to death in the panic.

Police at the scene were unable to contain the violence and riot police were called in to calm the situation.

As the full extent of the tragedy unfolded the Red Cross moved in to treat the injured in tents set up at the scene. A priest was also called to give the Last Rites.

There were 58,000 fans in the ground and, as well as the dead, over 350 were injured.

Despite protests from both team managers the game went ahead with Juventus winning 1-0 thanks to a second half penalty.

Trouble had been reported since the two sets of fans arrived in the city. There were reports of stabbings and police numbers were dramaticaly increased to separate the fans.

Just like the Bradford City fire, again in 1985,tragic events that have changed the face of football forever! Bradford and Juventus seem to have moved on and important lessons have been learned by all, why don't the Liverpool fans? after all it wasn't just bad policing and ground management that caused the massacre! There seems to be one common denominator! and that is Liverpool Supporters!

Like Bradford and Heysel, what a tragic waste of life!!!!

You have absolutely no idea, so wind your neck in and read up on the facts, then come back and post.

Heysel is something totally different, that was caused by hooligans fighting each other, not just Liverpool fans as well as Juventus fans, there were Everton fans, Arsenal fans, Man Utd fans all in Belgium in 85. Granted the wall wouldn't have collapsed if the fighting hadn't had started. Liverpool were punished for that day, as were other clubs.

Who's been punished for what happened at Hillsborough?? why did it occur? how come the year before, same teams, same venue, same game, everyone got in and got out safe??

You're another clueless being who's only read tabloid shit.

Wow!

Touched a nerve with the Heysel thing, were you there?

Why do you want to blame someone, or someone punished?

So It opens opens up doors so you can claim compensation???

Like I say in my earlier post, a very tragic day, poorley policed and managed by ground staff!

Lessons have been learned,

Move on!

What a tragic waste of life!!!!

if it wasn't for bad policeing then the tragedy wouldn't have occurred. The families are searching for Justice as there were so many lies said about Liverpool fans and what was supposed to have happened according to those that lied. There's never been any proof that that happened, if you get 40 minutes or so then listen to Steve Rotheram's speech from the house of commons which states facts and not lies.

I wasn't at Heysel, but remember it well, and I've got a couple of friends that were there. The stadium was ill equipped to hold such an event, and was rightly torn down. A wall crushed because rival fans were riotting, were you aware of the 'neutral' area that was right next to the Juventus fans? a lot of what happened at Heysel was born the year before in Rome when Liverpool fans were attacked by Roma fans in their own City. I'm not saying that Liverpool fans weren't too blame for what happened at Heysel, but they weren't the only ones, it was once again something that could have been prevented had things been better organised. Liverpool apologised for that day, on several occasions.

This isn't about Heysel, its about HIllsborough and Justice for 96 people who lost their lives that day. I've got a small booklet on events of that day which highlights the truth, I can lend it to you should you wish to know more facts.

Cheers

if it wasn't for bad policeing then the tragedy wouldn't have occurred. The families are searching for Justice as there were so many lies said about Liverpool fans and what was supposed to have happened according to those that lied. There's never been any proof that that happened, if you get 40 minutes or so then listen to Steve Rotheram's speech from the house of commons which states facts and not lies.

I wasn't at Heysel, but remember it well, and I've got a couple of friends that were there. The stadium was ill equipped to hold such an event, and was rightly torn down. A wall crushed because rival fans were riotting, were you aware of the 'neutral' area that was right next to the Juventus fans? a lot of what happened at Heysel was born the year before in Rome when Liverpool fans were attacked by Roma fans in their own City. I'm not saying that Liverpool fans weren't too blame for what happened at Heysel, but they weren't the only ones, it was once again something that could have been prevented had things been better organised. Liverpool apologised for that day, on several occasions.

Cheers

So according to you it's all the fault of the Police and that's final? Not the ground Management team/Stewards or heaven forbid the Liverpool Football Supporters (as I called them) or Hooligans (as you called them)?

Just like to leave you with part of a letter to The Times (Not the Sun),

Sir Oliver Popplewell called on the families to look at the "quiet dignity and great courage" of the Bradford families

In his letter, Sir Oliver said: "The citizens of Bradford behaved with quiet dignity and great courage. They did not harbour conspiracy theories. They did not seek endless further inquiries.

"They buried their dead, comforted the bereaved and succoured the injured. They organised a sensible compensation scheme and moved on.

"Is there, perhaps, a lesson there for the Hillsborough campaigners?"

Ps:You have a great memory of the Heysel disaster, I make it that you would have been 8 years old, most kids would have been in bed at the time of the match.

Cheers

Bradford City Supporter

Bad policeing was the main culprit of for what happened at Hillsborough, Duckenfield was in charge in 89, he gave the go-ahead to open the gate to pens 3 and 4 where it was already overcrowded, if he hadn't have done that then fans would have filtered down into the other pens where there was less congestion.

I think the families of the Hillsborough victims have behaved with immense dignity, if you lost a loved one and there wasn't an answer for his/her death and there was a hiding of information as to what happened, would you want to know how he/she died? Bradford Fire was a tragic tragic accident that should never happen again, I remember watching that as well in my Nans kitchen at the time on Grandstand. The families and those involved in the Bradford Fire, know what happened, they know what caused the fire and can't go any further, they've settled in compensation or whatever terms. Hillsborough familes haven't had that, there's some families that were told that their loved ones were dead at a certain time, when there's evidence that proves otherwise, how can that happen?

In these coming months theres going to be lots and lots of evidence that comes out about the day in April 1989 thats going to show what a cover up there has been on mistakes made that day. Once people are held accountable for that day, then Justice will have finally been done.

oh yeah, and once Kelvin McKenzie is off the tv out of the limelight and apologises for his lies in the Sun Newspaper then people may move on from that as well. Until that day though, people should never buy the sun and that excuse for a human being deserves all the abuse and contempt that he gets.

I've been a Liverpool fan since the age of 4, I remember Heysel clearly, remember crying, and remember the penalty that never was, I remember Rome the year before with Kennedy putting the penalty away.

Liverpool fan

One thing that has rarely been mentioned are the thousands of fans who turned up without tickets, the Police always get blamed because faced with an emergency situation mistakes sometimes occur, obviously errors occured on the day, wasn't it the danger of crushing amongst those with and without tickets outside the stadium that led to those inside being put at risk - Part of the truth will come out but many who shouldn't have been there will get off scot free because they remain unknown. Same two teams, same venue a year later, entirely different circumstances if those ticketless fans swelled the numbers.

it is possible that people turned up on the first occasion, got in without previously buying a ticket, news spreading so the following year even more tried to do the same.

Without the fencing there may not have been a disaster, those previously involved in football violence elsewhere who at the time made fencing necessary need to shoulder some of the blame,

Whatever the outcome of the enquiry, all sides will not be happy with the end result. There will always be questions, to follow questions.

R.I.P

Listen to Steve Rotherams speech Ivor. The figures that were given on fans being there, it was stated that there were at most 100 fans extra there on that day.

The main thing that lead to the tragedy was the opening of the gates that was initiated by Duckenfield, if those gates hadn't been opened, fans could have then gone to either side which were less crowded.

Darren, I am not out to upset anyone, this matter is too serious for that, years ago attending football matches was a bit primitive, no one will know how many did not have tickets, without being offensive, I think the 100 statement unlikely, I have seen people get in without a ticket at other grounds, they get near the entrance push and shove, confusion results and in they go, I am talking the past, not the modern system, it happened. At one time (20/25 years ago) you could walk up to certain Wembley turnstiles on cup final day slap down a tenner, say there's my ticket and in you went, I once got into Highbury for a Spurs match free (you paid at the turnstiles in those days 4-4 the result) not to defraud but FEAR, the crowd was packed solid outside the ground and although the gates were closed the swell of the crowd burst them open, I found myself on the ground scrambled under a police horse, ran like hell and jumped over the turnstile to avoid crushing.

British football avoided more tragedies by luck rather than judgement, at West Ham you use to get squashed up against the turnstile walls, at Chelsea to get out of there you came off the big bank into a small passageway, you felt your bones creak there, heaving bodies was the norm in those days unlike the civilised manner today, most grounds use to be packed solid.