Cornwall Football Forum

How much do other teams charge players each week?

Troon are charging £10 signing on fee then £4 a game now!

Am I right in thinking this is a tad steep or is this the norm these days?

Once you factor in travel it costs a bloody fortune to play all season!

Very steep indeed, that's ridiculous. If that's for all ages, I don't think they'll be getting many young players in, as for someone like me who has to work on a Sunday to help pay for everything else simply wouldn't be able to afford it.

We paid £20 sgining on fee at fal athletic and got a tracksuit and polo shirt and £3 per game, 1st and 2nd team both have done the same. I think most clubs around are doing this because its not that easy to find sponsors to keep the club running, i dont mind paying my subs each week, there are a lot of people who work to keep the club running using their own free time to make sure we have a pitch to play on and clean kit to wear every week

Hmmm, considering we haven't been given any shirts, jackets or polo tops it does seem a bit expensive! It's not like have a luxury clubhouse to maintain either!

I'm happy to pay subs too Gary, it's just a bit of an increase from last season!

We paid £2.50 per match last year with no signing on fee!

As far as I see this season, nothing is different! Not sure what we're paying for now!

Troon AFC charge these subs and signing on fee for one reason, to be able to provide a football club for you to play football! thats it in its simplest form, the £10 covers the players insurance, entrance to the leagues, and all the affiliations that go with entering a league nowadays,endless!

£4 subs covers the refs fees which have gone up due to petrol prices, and £1 of that £4 goes towards the training on Wednesdays so that we dont have to collect on the night, so basically your paying £3 subs for sat football, which is not too bad considering all you do is pitch up for football, play, and go home, you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes for a football match. obviously if you had a little more to do with the club rather than just coming on here and moaning about little things before mentioning it to the correct people within the club, then maybe this is not the club for you, Troon AFC have been running for over 50 yrs, and i'm sure they Will cope without you for another 50! so do 1...

Clubs charging that amount seems fair - Any player that believes it "ridiculous" (Tempo) should consider just how they believe things are paid for in the real world!

Affiliation, Insurance, pitch rental, winter training pitch hire, kit, kitwashing, balls, nets, electric, water, grounds maintenance, line marking, refs, stationery, first aid............ then you multiply that for every team you have at your club.

These days it costs a huge amount (in money as well as time) to help contribute to running a club.

Match subs of £4.00 a player - 13 players = £52.00 a week - average 25 matches a season including cups = £1300.00 per team income.

12 refs at average £25.00 = £300, kitwash approx £12/kit =£300, Pitch rent say £400, Insurance £150, Affiliation to league and cups say £150, Do the maths - theres nothing left in the kitty - and thats assuming all your players are adults and paying full subs! So where do your balls, nets, kits, showers, training etc come from?

Be pro-active and support your Club - sugggest any kind of fundraising and keep football going - because if we aren't careful one day the money will indeed run out!

Or join a gym - more expensive still - or buy a bike - a decent one will cost you £10 a week minimum, or swim - have you seen the prices....... need I go on?

Not a lot else you could do for 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon for £3-4.

Nurse 1 pint for 2 hours down the pub.

Wander round the shops with the missus (mind you that would cost a lot more than £3)

Swim/Gym all about £5

And a lot of the Saturday football stuff is about the banter/social/camaraderie stuff as well - not just playing

£4 is a very average price for football, especially at a club that owns and maintains its own pitch, might not have an amazing clubhouse but we dont at Athletic and we still turn up, play and pay because thats what playing is all about, you been round long enough now Will to know that you have to pay subs each week, you may think £4 is a bit steep but there are a lot of teams who pay the same, yes you came on only asking about other clubs, maybe you shouldnt of said it the way you did, you could always go out wendron and pay £2!

Two simple options for running a club which would make things easy on the money front;

1: you could come and pick some money off my " money tree" cos i'm sure my kids think we have 1 in the garden

2: Just do what Heaney does and don't bother to pay anyone for any services to do with your club .. must save a few quid but not much face

:c::thumbsup::c::thumbsup: :c:

as has been briefly mentioned most clubs could not survive without a small band of volunteers who provide countless hours and sometimes money for the love of their club.

and most do not even kick a ball in anger. very few players realise how much goes on behind the scenes between games at THEIR OWN clubs.

Clubs charging that amount seems fair - Any player that believes it "ridiculous" (Tempo) should consider just how they believe things are paid for in the real world!

Affiliation, Insurance, pitch rental, winter training pitch hire, kit, kitwashing, balls, nets, electric, water, grounds maintenance, line marking, refs, stationery, first aid............ then you multiply that for every team you have at your club.

These days it costs a huge amount (in money as well as time) to help contribute to running a club.

Match subs of £4.00 a player - 13 players = £52.00 a week - average 25 matches a season including cups = £1300.00 per team income.

12 refs at average £25.00 = £300, kitwash approx £12/kit =£300, Pitch rent say £400, Insurance £150, Affiliation to league and cups say £150, Do the maths - theres nothing left in the kitty - and thats assuming all your players are adults and paying full subs! So where do your balls, nets, kits, showers, training etc come from?

Be pro-active and support your Club - sugggest any kind of fundraising and keep football going - because if we aren't careful one day the money will indeed run out!

Or join a gym - more expensive still - or buy a bike - a decent one will cost you £10 a week minimum, or swim - have you seen the prices....... need I go on?

I said it was ridiculous if it applied to all ages, guessing you didn't get a gcse in English. I doubt many 16 year olds can afford that. Luckily I have a part time job so I'm okay for now. I understand how much it costs to run a club, i'm not naive. However, clubs do have to be realistic as well, 16 year olds can't get money from going to college or sixth form. And for those who don't bother following the news, we don't get EMA any more either.

I said it was ridiculous if it applied to all ages, guessing you didn't get a gcse in English. I doubt many 16 year olds can afford that. Luckily I have a part time job so I'm okay for now. I understand how much it costs to run a club, i'm not naive. However, clubs do have to be realistic as well, 16 year olds can't get money from going to college or sixth form. And for those who don't bother following the news, we don't get EMA any more either.

Well when you're a bit older, it will be more than likely £6.00 per game so you can complain some more!

Well when you're a bit older, it will be more than likely £6.00 per game so you can complain some more!

I'm simply right. The clubs I have played for so far, either charge less or nothing for under 18's because it's hard enough for us to get over there. Me and my mate usually have to get the bus or something. I didn't mean to sound like i was complaining, just trying to say that it is very hard for people my age to get to the match with out help from the club, let alone pay 4 quid per game on top of that :c:

To an extent I agree with some of Tempos comments.

Players have to take responsibility in helping to run a club by paying their subscription charges when required! I get frustrated when players turn up into a season knowing full well that subs are required (£2 at Holmans for the record) but have "forgot" to bring it! I will always catch the player with a £2.80 pint in their hand later the little buggers :)!!

However adding to Tempos comments clubs also need to take into account that to survive we need to encourage youngsters to make the transition from youth to adult football and sometimes the only way that can be achieved is to reduce the amount required or not charge at all. Without youth players making the step into adult sides clubs will struggle to exist as we have seen with a number of Trelawny league sides some of which had been very successfull in the past but have had players move on or finish playing and not had enough younger players following behind to be encouraged to be the "clubmen" of the future.

I'm simply right. The clubs I have played for so far, either charge less or nothing for under 18's because it's hard enough for us to get over there. Me and my mate usually have to get the bus or something. I didn't mean to sound like i was complaining, just trying to say that it is very hard for people my age to get to the match with out help from the club, let alone pay 4 quid per game on top of that :c:

Good job ya dont play for us then mate as its £4 a game plus fines, ends up being about £10 a week, but at the end of the day like everyone else says its worth it for what ya get, bout time you realised everything costs money mate so stop moaning n crack on or dont play..!!

£4 a week to play football (including a hours training), bargain!

However, clubs do have to be realistic as well, 16 year olds can't get money from going to college or sixth form. And for those who don't bother following the news, we don't get EMA any more either.

Maybe not but they are all in the pub on "student night" and seem to afford to be able to go out far more than i can & that goes for the unemployed aswell

i sure anyone can afford £3 - £5 quid a week if they wanna play

No need to get so touchy Jamie! All i'm doing is finding out what other clubs pay!

I believe freedom of speech still applies!

Clearly from thr replies I can see the subs are actually average.

No need to get teasy though!

How much sponsor money did u raise on sponsored bike ride from Lands End TO TROON how many maintaince days did u show up for and how many hours did u put in on our fun day workin on stalls mate ?? So i think £4 is well cheap when all u do is turn up and HEY PRESTO its all been done for U !!!!

No need to get so touchy Jamie! All i'm doing is finding out what other clubs pay!

I believe freedom of speech still applies!

Clearly from thr replies I can see the subs are actually average.

No need to get teasy though!

How much sponsor money did u raise on sponsored bike ride from Lands End TO TROON how many maintaince days did u show up for and how many hours did u put in on our fun day workin on stalls mate ?? So i think £4 is well cheap when all u do is turn up and HEY PRESTO its all been done for U !!!!

Wind your neck in!

Don't think I've ever actually been told about any events until the last minute but i've still turned up and spent money to help the club.

However, clubs do have to be realistic as well, 16 year olds can't get money from going to college or sixth form. And for those who don't bother following the news, we don't get EMA any more either.

Maybe not but they are all in the pub on "student night" and seem to afford to be able to go out far more than i can & that goes for the unemployed aswell

I don't go out on student nights.

That's because you seem to spend all night evry night on here :thumbsup:

That's because you seem to spend all night evry night on here :thumbsup:

A guy's gotta have something to do during study time :SM_carton:

Guest smashing pumpkin

And the club i have played for either charged me less or nothing at all because it's a lot of hassle for me to get to places. E.g, train or bus, as i can't drive yet

why dont you get one of them scooters

Chaps - It just confirms that at all levels the local football scene needs supporting at this difficult time. Players and fans should acknowledge the hard work - often unpaid - that goes into getting the matches played. Players need to involve themselves in fundraising - with new fresh ideas coming through constantly, and not forget that its the supporters and sponsors that keeps the teams playing really, despite the subs which are absolutely necessary. Its a tough old world out there and as long as players put back a little time, and supporters do "support", and the local pub and community are encouraged to contribute - with a little fun, excitement and entertainment thrown in , then we'll all be in our dotage watching our local sides in the decades to come.

We've a special thing here in Cornwall - name me another County that has Saturday football as a priority. The history of our Clubs may be recent, or may go back over a century - but none of us want to see things take a step for the worse and I truly believe that here in Cornwall Junior Football is the best advert for all that is right in the sporting world today.

Ok rose tinted specs off - time to look at the crap that the Peninsular idiots post!

Cheers m'dears!