Cornwall Football Forum

Refereeing standards in Junior Football!

Isn't it about time that the more experienced and higher marked refs started getting allocated the "higher division games" at Junior level with the lower the division getting the 'new or inexperienced refs'?

Today we, St. Newlyn East in Duchy Prem had a teenage ref who was only in his second season as a ref. His one major decision after 25 mins changed the entire game - awarding a penalty at 0-1 and sending off my player - both sides realistically admited it was a penalty but the resultant dismissal was ridiculous in the extreme. The referee was being assessed and after the game even the CCFA assessor told us what to do regarding an appeal to try to have it successfully overturned (all but an admission that in his opnion the ref cocked up). Don't get me wrong, our opponents Saltash were worthy winners even when 11v11 but even they admitted that sending off changed the game AND would support our appeal.

Every week we are experiencing different standards of refereeing, and offences being punished one week, but not punished the following week e.g. verbal comments that would have been cautioned by one ref but were not deemed worthy of a card this week! I feel referees have a hard job to do at the best of times but at the moment am pulling my hair out (not that i have much LOL) in trying to fathom what constitutes a caution or sending off,

Surely this needs to be looked at as I haven't a clue as what will be deemed a booking or sending off every week!

Jiggy

Of course you are experiencing different standards each week because (a) you are getting different individuals, who by definition have diferent standards.and (B) at your standard, you may get, in theory a level 7 ref in his first game or a level 4 whose game in the SW Peninsula league has been cancecelled.Wales responded manfully this morning and in all the post match interviews and never laid the reason for the defeat at the feet of the official.You must have been on the end of a decision in your "career" for the winning team that was marginal.Move on.

Rather than blaming the ref for his decision making of sending off a player, rightly or wrongly. Why don't you blame the muppet that can't make the correct decision in the penalty area giving the opposition a pen due to his mistake?

Refs make mistakes, but players as individuals make more. Why not look at your own mistakes before criticising the refs.

Today against Mullion 3rd team we had a ref (Dont know his name) who in my opinion got 99% of decisions correct, If you ask the mullion crowd they would beg to differ judging by their language chucked at him.

Football is the sport run by officials who give their opinion we cant change that, it happens 50 yrs ago, it happens today and will happen in 50 yrs. Part of the sport

hey guys dont hold anything back,say it as it is, feel free to name and shame refs who in your opinion might not be up to your standard.............. oh did i say in your opinion, surely thats what football is about peoples opinions, and yes they may differ from week to week. refs do have bad games just like players do. refs will and do make mistakes just like players do. sorry you feel hard done by that yet again a player was sent off and hope that if you do appeal you win.................refs aint perfect thier human.............. give them a break for just one bloody week please, the whole slagging off of refs is getting a tad boring now and ruining a fine site. i used to enjoy coming on here a sat evening after a match and a few drinks and having a good ole banter with people but now all it ever is, is the refs this the refs that........... its boring now, if you want something done about them mark them low and write your report, or call the ccfa and tell them how you feel about refs........... rant over now i'm going for another vodka

hey guys dont hold anything back,say it as it is, feel free to name and shame refs who in your opinion might not be up to your standard.............. oh did i say in your opinion, surely thats what football is about peoples opinions, and yes they may differ from week to week. refs do have bad games just like players do. refs will and do make mistakes just like players do. sorry you feel hard done by that yet again a player was sent off and hope that if you do appeal you win.................refs aint perfect thier human.............. give them a break for just one bloody week please, the whole slagging off of refs is getting a tad boring now and ruining a fine site. i used to enjoy coming on here a sat evening after a match and a few drinks and having a good ole banter with people but now all it ever is, is the refs this the refs that........... its boring now, if you want something done about them mark them low and write your report, or call the ccfa and tell them how you feel about refs........... rant over now i'm going for another vodka

Already done Anita!!!!

Been sent off 5 times in 29 years 3 of which have been in the last 3 games. Say's more about my luck and the standard of ref'ing.

@Anita we spent money on the respect campaign and supported it for a season we asked for feedback from the CCFA last Jan not a word since and still waiting. Shocking!

maybe your getting slower now and mistiming tackles (joke) :D i've never had a prob with newlyn east and the respect they show me (and i hope they feel i show them) get in contact with the ccfa again and keep bugging about the feedback, they have got a rather lot of teams to deal with, dont give up on it :D when you guys get your heads down and get on with the football your a good team (if you can shut denty up) lol you dont need to come on here and rant about the men in black ......... it doesnt suit ya ;)

I know there are bad refs. But unfortunately with teams like yours slating each one is it any wonder no one wants to do it?

I know the ref you had and I think he is superb. He is strict to the rules, won't take much dissent and not afraid to make a decision. Before he was old enough to ref men's he used to officiate only kids games. He was always consistent and never allowed any abuse from the sidelines. On occasions I believe sent some parents out the ground.

We should have more refs like him.

He'll only get better by learning from his mistakes and where better to do it than in the duchy league.

Seems to me reading this post you need to take a look at yourselves regarding the Red cards surley 4 different Refs didn't get all the sendings off Wrong ?

You should take the Refs course and take up reffing see whatit like to control game (this prob will never happen).

And before you jump on your high horse YES i have passed the Refs course and controled games

:SM_carton: :SM_carton: :SM_carton: :SM_carton:

There called laws not rules.

Seriously though I do understand your frustration but I stopped blaming refs since I stopped playing.

Unfortunately refs aren't good enough from top to bottom throughout all standards of football. We have to do the best with what we have. Crap or not I'm sure they are trying their best and thats all you can ask for. There best probably isn't good enough but that's why they are reffing duchy league.

But the same can be said about players.

Bit harsh on the referees who have gone out of their way to learn how to referee a match, and who give up their saturdays so that us players can enjoy our football. Everyone at some point will or has made a mistake, that's football, that's life. Get over it or we won't have any referees left soon therefore no matches.

Dave, Thanks for replying. I played against you many times in the Duchy league when Biscovey were probably one of the best junior sides in the county. I was playing for Saltash and then Callington. As a centre half you got stuck in, and to be fair you gave the ref as much stick as the rest of us! I spent most of the game trying to get close to Steve Branchet. Good player who I think suffered a bad injury later on and never fully got back to his best. The point Im trying to make is that before your retirement, you refereed a game I played in about two seasons ago, it was down at Roche and the game was not a dirty game, but we felt the home side were getting the majority of the decisions. As probably the most experienced player in the away side, I tried to talk to you and discuss a few points that I felt we were being hard done bye. But you werent interested. As the game went on, Roche had a player who continually made silly fouls, mouthed off and got away with it. The game was coming to the last 10 minutes, there was a foul committed by the away player and as he got up, the home player grabbed the away player and pushed him. You then sent off the away player for 'stricking' the home player! Even the home side seemed suprised by this. With about 10 mins to go, you awarded a free kick about 25 yds from goal. The player who committed the foul was the persistent mouthy player who should have had two yellows half an hour ago! but still stayed on the pitch! From the free kick the away side scored a good goal, only for the home linesman to flag for offside! Even the home side accepted it was a goal and moaned amoungst each over, how they should have cleared it.

In my experience if a Ref feels hes had a good game he will join both teams and have a drink. This was not the case and the ref did not stay behind. No argument with Roche. We all stayed behind and had a drink and food together. Our secretary contaced Roche about our appeal, and Roche backed our claim that our player did not strike the opposing player. We won the appeal.

Cut along story short, how do we respect refs who have played the game?

A ref is there to enforce punishment for infringements. Surely the infringing party is the incompetent one?

For example a defender fouling a player when he has clear goal scoring opportunity. Punishment is red card but surely its the defender that ruins his team mates Saturday afternoon by his incompetence not the ref.

And matches wont happen without players...or clubs...or a pitches and so on. But if you have a terrible pitch or wonky goals or no changing rooms or bad ref's then the experience becomes limited and football goes down the pan so ref's along with other things need to be improved.

Anyway, I've quite enjoyed this and feel reasonably exercised by it. At the least the lads will read this and chuckle so cheers Jiggy for starting the thread. Anyway I'm sure my ban will be lengthy (even though I hurt not one player) so I'll be booking a surf trip to Costa Rica in the meantime to make myself feel better. Ciao for now!

What were all your red cards for exactly??

In my experience if a Ref feels hes had a good game he will join both teams and have a drink. This was not the case and the ref did not stay behind. No argument with Roche. We all stayed behind and had a drink and food together. Our secretary contaced Roche about our appeal, and Roche backed our claim that our player did not strike the opposing player. We won the appeal.

Cut along story short, how do we respect refs who have played the game?

I think no matter what sort of game the ref feels his (or she's) had they should go back for a drink. i always try too, but sometimes its not possible, doesnt mean that coz i havent gone back i've felt i've had a bad game. in fact if i've felt i've had a bad game i'm more likely to go back just so i can answer any questions players/managers ect may have, before they come on here and start having digs at me. and to answer your question how do we respect refs who have played? that seems like a no win, normaly people are on here moaning coz the refs never played football, his only a ref because he cant play football, he was a nerd who used to get bullied in school so now he refs to ruin our saturdays........... think at the end of the day all refs should maybe take a sat off and let ya get on with it, at least then i'll be able to come on here and read about some good games with great players and good strikes ....... oh sorry no i wont because there wont be any games played, its hard enough getting someone to run the line for you let alone ref.

Club_capt, I take it you are not happy with what would seem to be all officials and letting us have the full force of your disdain of us. You let us have your full appreciation of your opinions so is there any chance of you being brave enough to put your correct name to your posts. Perhaps not!.

He's Club Captain of Newlyn East!

And lets not forget that referee's do get paid for doing a job. However, Club Captain, I feel that you could be facing an FA enquiry about all of this, they read this site and don't take too kindly at bad words spoken about referee's.

For what its worth, I thought our referee yesterday was pretty good.

It`s all well and good giving the referee`s a lot of stick but it doesn`t hold water so to speak, My own experiences this season, I have been told I was the best referee they had seen in junior football I also have most marks that are around the 90% I have had a club mark me 98% and they were the losing side, on a recent draw the away club marked me 90% ( sneaked a look at the form) the home side lovingly informed me I was the worst referee they had ever seen, so to all you people who come on here and give out your wrath at the referee a small piece of advice, do not attack your keyboard directly after a match wait and let any frustrations subside and you could well see things in a different light.

It`s all well and good giving the referee`s a lot of stick but it doesn`t hold water so to speak, My own experiences this season, I have been told I was the best referee they had seen in junior football I also have most marks that are around the 90% I have had a club mark me 98% and they were the losing side, on a recent draw the away club marked me 90% ( sneaked a look at the form) the home side lovingly informed me I was the worst referee they had ever seen, so to all you people who come on here and give out your wrath at the referee a small piece of advice, do not attack your keyboard directly after a match wait and let any frustrations subside and you could well see things in a different light.

That must have been halsetown vs st day with the 90% and the opposition saying you were the worst

Where the manager wanted a fight with me

To end 4 out of 6 games with ten men suggests(and i haven't seen the games) that the problem lies with your team and not the officicial's. 4 red card's in a season is bad emough , but for the middle of october !

This is the reason for this thread - If you look at four reds this season all but one has been harsh! the first one we had was fair for 2 yellows for 2 professional fouls, then i get sent off for 2 yellows one when i was fouled n then as i was walking to postion myself for the free kick the player who fouled me said i was diving n which i laughed and he booted me to the floor n the ref sent him off but booked me...?? (what for is anyone guess) then the 2nd yellow was again prob fair but harsh as i went for a diving header n i missed it but it hit my hand n flew in the top corner. (i didnt celebrate or anything n admitted it my hand to ref who then decided to book me for deliberate hand ball n send me off! Then we had our 3rd sending off for 2 yellows one which was fair n the other one for a player saying f**cking hell ref when one of his players was booted to the floor off the ball...!! n then yesterday we get a straight red for a late challenge in the box when the ref said he was denying a clear goal scoring oportunity, when we had 2 players back there n a keeper...!!

correct me if I'm wrong, but all these remarks about 'rubbish, crap, biased, useless etc' refs all concern adult football.

your not kids and should all be old enough to know the 'LAWS' of the game and if you don't, download them from the FA website. You may well get away with certain things with one ref and not with another but if a ref ref's by the letter of the law you can't complain.

How many of you have parked on a double yellow for a few minutes, done 80mph on the bypass or used a mobile when driving. you know its wrong but you've done it anyway and just hoped you didn't get caught.

Karaoke, I do not worry about my marks full stop, I have never referee`d for marks and never will. simple reason I know my marks is that some teams fill in the result forms before giving it for me to sign, as they should, but on occasions they have also filled in the ref marks section I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Splitting hairs again karaoke, I have explained, now in the english language most does not mean all and on a couple of games I have been informed of my mark, as i said marks do not worry me I referee as I see it within LOAF and I will continue to do that regardless of marks. It`s done me well in all my refereeing so far and I see no reason to change.

Last week with no Truro away game, I watched some of the local lads, I think it may have been in the 'Fat Bellies League', the referee was old even by my standards, both his legs were bandaged and he positioned himself shortening his diagonals to cut down on his movement, I thought well done old boy, without you there would be no game.

The coin was tossed and the ref said to both captains "One more thing, NO Swearing", the Captains turned towards their players and shouted "No Swearing" the players responded "right, No Swearing", on previous occasions when games were played on the same ground the swearing was out of order, therefore, I was surprised when last week it was minimal, another thing I noticed was when a player disagreed with a refereeing decision the Captains of the respective players club would say "Oy dealt with get on with the game" and they did, there was total respect, it made for a better game of football.

I thought was it showing respect for the older referee, was it the FA's respect campaign or what, who knows, I mentioned it to an ex local councillor who told me the club had been informed by the council that if the swearing continued they could no longer use the ground.

On this occasion I would like to think it was respect for the referee, although not too active he had total control and that comes from experience.