Cornwall Football Forum

Rooney Ban!!

Shifty

Breaking News that Rooney has been given a 3 game ban by UEFA!!

With that he will miss all of the group games.

Does Capello take him or does he just have to work out a system/team ignoring Rooney?

Not sure myself but worthy of discussion I think

Personally i wouldnt take him. If we get through the group stage it means we dont need him .

It would only be unwanted pressure on Capello if we got to knock out stages.

I wouldn leave him out for the forth coming friendlies aswell, wots the point preparing for a tournny with a player that wont be there.Just my view though

Rooney WAS wrong but the 3 match ban was a total over reaction by EUFA which is run by the FROG who let Henry off for CHEATING the Republic of Ireland out of their finals place. That situation needed addressing and favouring France it was swept under the carpet.

Rooney may be short of World Class but he is the best we have got, I would take him and consider it a bonus to have a fit roaring to go Rooney primed for the knock out stages.

I would NOT play him before the finals, we need to blood players to replace the likes of Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Walcott, Cole, Johnson, Downing, Defoe etc. the list gets longer as the players get older, slower and exposed for their lack of talent at International level.

Fact is WE ARE NOT VERY GOOD against the BEST.

We should ALWAYS qualify but then it's downhill all the way.

One saving grace, unlike Scotland we don't inflate LOSING performances to sound like victory, Spain outclassed them, then eased up.

Rooney WAS wrong but the 3 match ban was a total over reaction by EUFA which is run by the FROG who let Henry off for CHEATING the Republic of Ireland out of their finals place. That situation needed addressing and favouring France it was swept under the carpet.

Rooney may be short of World Class but he is the best we have got, I would take him and consider it a bonus to have a fit roaring to go Rooney primed for the knock out stages.

I would NOT play him before the finals, we need to blood players to replace the likes of Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard, Walcott, Cole, Johnson, Downing, Defoe etc. the list gets longer as the players get older, slower and exposed for their lack of talent at International level.

Fact is WE ARE NOT VERY GOOD against the BEST.

We should ALWAYS qualify but then it's downhill all the way.

One saving grace, unlike Scotland we don't inflate LOSING performances to sound like victory, Spain outclassed them, then eased up.

I agree with you Rooney should go, the only problem is England could struggle to get through group stages, i keep hearing how they need experience, they've had experience for the last 50 years and won nothing. Give the youngsters a go at least they will play with heart and passion, they may not go far but would be good learning curve for the next world cup.

"If we get through the group stages it proves we dont need him"

WE will struggle to get out of group, and if we get to last 8, chances are you play Spain, Germany or Holland - God help us. Not interested in getting out of the group, only interested in winning it. Spain won last 2 tournaments, yes they plated as a team, but a team full of world class players.

"Rooney may be short of world class"

Behave, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea would pay 60 million for him now, IF Utd would sell.

Would Portugal go without Ronaldo? !!!!!

Wayne has suffered like all English players in the last 2 tournaments, but 28 goals in 73 games aint to bad, compared to Ronaldo 30 in 85, Messi 18 in 63.

"If we get through the group stages it proves we dont need him"

WE will struggle to get out of group, and if we get to last 8, chances are you play Spain, Germany or Holland - God help us. Not interested in getting out of the group, only interested in winning it. Spain won last 2 tournaments, yes they plated as a team, but a team full of world class players.

"Rooney may be short of world class"

Behave, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea would pay 60 million for him now, IF Utd would sell.

Would Portugal go without Ronaldo? !!!!!

Wayne has suffered like all English players in the last 2 tournaments, but 28 goals in 73 games aint to bad, compared to Ronaldo 30 in 85, Messi 18 in 63.

Agree not a bad strike rate,but most have been in friendlies, as for world class? World class players do it on the world stage Rooney never has, even in the Champions League latter stages he goes missing a lot. He is the best striker England's got and should go to Poland/ Ukraine just in case we get through the group stages. With or without Rooney England are not good enough.

Don't take him. Stupidity if they do. The guy has a terrible discipline record. And why is it that England's chances have been dealt a "severe blow" (as anounced on the news). You all believe the hype. You all read the papers, and get sucked in. England have better players than Rooney, about time his name was not automatically written on the team sheet every time we play. Good riddance :)

I agree England have better players. Look at the class of Defoe, Bent, Walcott, Zamora, Crouch and Carroll all of whom are miles ahead of Rooney in terms of class. Then behind that we have the completely untried but played well for their clubs for a few games likes of Wellbeck and Sturridge. How Rooney has even won a single cap with these guys around is beyond belief!! (Love the irony of an Arsenal fan questioning the discipline of anyone)

Apparently we are in the 2nd pot for the draw therefore likely to get a France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy etc. Along with those and us you are likely to have the likes of Ireland, Sweden, Portugal, Bosnia or Turkey so its going to be bloody tough to qualify. Personally I feel we should take him as he IS our best forward by miles. IF we qualify then we've done very well and Capello is unlikely to change a side doing well. Therefore hes not a bad sub to be coming on, pretty sure he will worry defenders more than Zamora.

Im a bit different as I feel that if he is going to take him, which lets face it he has probably already made up his mind, he should still be involved in the friendlies nearer the tournament so he is a part of the group and can still get minutes playing with the players that will be at the tournament should we make it through.

After all that though we will no doubt build up all the players to be world beaters then fail miserably.

Yes: -

Rooney: Premier League: Red cards 2, Yellow cards 65 (played 290)

Bent: Premier League: Red cads 0, Yellow cards 10 (played 213)

Crouch: Premier League: Red cards 1, Yellow cards 16 (played 264)

Defoe: Premier League: Red cards 2, Yellow cards 28 (played 313)

Zamora: Premier League: Red cards 1, Yellow cards 12 (played 175)

Lets tot that lot up.....

Rooney (on his own).... Red 2, Yellow 65 (played 290)

Other 4 together...........Red 4, Yellow 66 (played 965)

And for England: -

Rooney: Red 2, Yellow 10 (caps 73)

Bent: Red 0, Yellow 0 (caps 11)

Crouch: Red 0, Yellow 3 (caps 42)

Defoe: Red 0 Yellow 0 (46 caps)

Zamora: Red 0, Yellow 0 (1 cap)

Tot up.....

Rooney: Red 2, Yellow 10 (caps 73)

Others: Red 0, Yellow 3 (caps 100)

I agree England have better players. Look at the class of Defoe, Bent, Walcott, Zamora, Crouch and Carroll all of whom are miles ahead of Rooney in terms of class. Then behind that we have the completely untried but played well for their clubs for a few games likes of Wellbeck and Sturridge. How Rooney has even won a single cap with these guys around is beyond belief!! (Love the irony of an Arsenal fan questioning the discipline of anyone)

Apparently we are in the 2nd pot for the draw therefore likely to get a France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy etc. Along with those and us you are likely to have the likes of Ireland, Sweden, Portugal, Bosnia or Turkey so its going to be bloody tough to qualify. Personally I feel we should take him as he IS our best forward by miles. IF we qualify then we've done very well and Capello is unlikely to change a side doing well. Therefore hes not a bad sub to be coming on, pretty sure he will worry defenders more than Zamora.

Im a bit different as I feel that if he is going to take him, which lets face it he has probably already made up his mind, he should still be involved in the friendlies nearer the tournament so he is a part of the group and can still get minutes playing with the players that will be at the tournament should we make it through.

After all that though we will no doubt build up all the players to be world beaters then fail miserably.

I am confused?

Really!? Do I reeeally need to write under a post "the above is quite obviously sarcasm"

Do you truly believe Rooney to be as bad as you say? Take off the ABU blinkers and what you think of him as aperson, at least he is honest unlike Viera, Henry and Cesc, just look at the way the guy plays would you really not have him in the Arsenal side. Would you really put Chamak, Bentdner, Walcott, Gervinho and Van Persie(dont forget his injury record) in the side in front of him?

Ah, sorry for being dim. I am not going to turn this into Arsenal/Spurs crap. We have enough of that. Rooney is a good player, possibly great player. If he was not banned for 3 matches, then of course we would have to take him, subject to injuries etc etc. However, he is banned - don't even think of taking him. We are not a one-man hope, our European glory hopes are not pinned upon whether Rooney plays or not, it is about whoever takes to the field in each game performing. I want England to win, every game they play, fairly, and brilliantly. Rooney can be part of that. But if there is a doubt, like there is, about his inclusion in the squad given these circumstances, he should not go. We have other talent along the same lines as Rooney that deserve to go.

Perhaps it is my point that I am not making very well?

England haven't got any World Class players. Probably haven't had any since Gazza.

Rooney is the only match winner that England have though. To put him in the same league as Messi, Ronaldo, Villa, Iniesta, is tosh, because those players are far better footballers than Rooney or any other English player. What Rooney has, that the English public like, is determination and aggression, he's good, don't get me wrong, but give me any of the others over him any day.

As said before, technically England are nowhere near it, watch the way Spain pass the ball around and are all comfortable on the ball, England may pass it around a few times, before a 40/50 yard ball comes over the top for a quickie to run onto. Until coaching of the kids is conducted in the same way as it is abroad, then we'll always be miles behind.

why did you need stats to back that up?

I just wanted to know the stats and I couldn't be bothered to look them up so I thought I'd get you to do it. :yahoo:

Can you not identify a t*wat when you watch one?

No I probably can't, but that might change if I watched you! :clapper:

Anyway I do know that Zinedine Zidane was sent off 14 times in his career, Patrick Viera 8 times and that Arsenal have had about 80 players sent off since Arsene Wenger became manager! So perhaps Rooney is not that bad.

Why does every footy pundit, every manager say he's world class then! :blink:

Think that's whats called wishful thinking, because England are so short of world class players they jump on anyone they think is a bit special. Then when he get's there they then spend their tme crucifying them. :glare:

why did you need stats to back that up?

I just wanted to know the stats and I couldn't be bothered to look them up so I thought I'd get you to do it. :yahoo:

Can you not identify a t*wat when you watch one?

No I probably can't, but that might change if I watched you! :clapper:

Anyway I do know that Zinedine Zidane was sent off 14 times in his career, Patrick Viera 8 times and that Arsenal have had about 80 players sent off since Arsene Wenger became manager! So perhaps Rooney is not that bad.

Oh, I'm a real t*wat, come and watch, or better still, play for the opposing team, you'll see!

• 1 month later...

So, he's been "let off" one match. Only a 2-match ban. Changes things slightly......however, I still get annoyed at the appearance of utmost necessity that England have to take him. Is he our "only hope".

To be honest, things are not looking good for our National team. Look at the Man U game in Basle on Wednesday, including "Rooney-mega-star", Young, Smalling, Wellbeck, Jones, Ferdinand - some of our most respected and best players, beaten by the mighty Swiss. I would put Bent and Defoe in front of Rooney. Surely at some point Capello will pick players on form, not on reputation.

As his 3rd game ban is suspended, should he be sent off in any of the games he can play in (for violent conduct - so a possibility then) he gets an automatic 2 match ban. Still some risk there me thinks.

Mangle, hahahahahaha pick players on form how is defoe forms this SEASON barely got a game.

You need to rethink your strategy before trying to smash up the Manc's buddy

You plonker.

Check your facts.

Defoe is Tottenham,s top goalscorer.8 in all competions,and 6 in the Premiership.

Stats for this year so far

Rooney 12(1) Games 9 Goals

Europe 7 games 5 goals Goal to start ratio 73.7% Goal to Game Ratio 70%

Defoe 6(6) Games 6 goals

Europe 5 games 2 Goals Goal to start Ratio 72.7% Goal to Game Ratio 47%

Now I ask again who is the form striker this SEASON ?

Deano - Rooneys only got 2 in Europe this season - both penalties (and against Galati!!) and played 6 games

That makes your figures for him : Goal to start ratio 58% Goal to Game Ratio 61% (Bit more comparable I think)

Also in World Cup and Euro Championships finals: Rooney 4 goals in 12 games - 33% (none in the last 9 games hes played), Defoe 1 in 3 games - 33%

Id rather have Rooney (and Im a Spurs supporter) but stats can prove anything you want. Mind you those finals stats for Rooney make you wonder why its so desperate that we need him!!!

S#it I miss read but his stats 16 starts in League and 1 sub with 12 goals included are 4 games in europe and 3 goals in these games. Better stats than defoe.

The bottom line is people jump on the band wagon, but when it comes down to it no manager in the world would pick defoe, or bent over rooney.

Goal to game ratio for club rooney 70.58%

Goal to game ratio for club defoe 50%

Goal to game ratio for club Bent 35.7%

same old story england needs rooney, rooney is world class, my arse! same hype as the run up to the 2010 world cup, and what did he do there?

The Castrol Index, the ranking system which rates every player at the world cup in terms of their passing, shooting, distance covered, possession etc! placed Rooney 22nd in the list of forwards. He had just 13 shots in four games, committed four fouls and was fouled five times. Incredibly, he lost the ball 32 times while in possession and managed a pass completion rate of just 60 per cent. sure is world class that, lol.