Cornwall Football Forum

NO RESPECT YET AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw Parkway against Cullompton last night and I was yet again absolutely discusted with the Cullompton Managaer and his assistant. For at least 80% of the game they were using foul and abusive language towards the ref and his assisatants. I could not see the reasoning behind this and I feel the officials all had a good game. The ref did speak with the Manager on one occassion and this made no difference. There was a local Under 14's team at the game last night and they were helping as ball boys. They all could hear this Managers language and some of them were saying " how does he not get sent off". That was a 14 year olds point of view !!!!!!! This is the second Manager I have seen like this so far this season and I do not understand why they have to do this ?

The officials do not have to put up with this and I feel the Managaer should have been requested to leave the pitch. This has got to stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The game however finished 2 - 2 , and other than faking a few injuries , the Cullompton team played very well against a below par Parkway side. Cullompton were very fast on the break ( this is where their 2 goals from ) and their defence were well organised. Parkway huffed and puffed in the second half but could not break through with a winner.

Obviously the manager must take responsibility for this but AGAIN how can refs complain when they dont use the powers afforded to them. They have a red card in their pocket, USE IT. Send in a report, bloke gets a ban and fine. If refs started to do this it would stop, eventually!

Not sure who the ref was (unusually for me , I did not buy a program) , but if I was either of the linesmen ( sorry , assistant referees) then I would be having a choice word with my mate in the middle about the lack of back up I received . Constant abuse and bad language throughout the game, not merely frustration,but a genuine vendetta . Overheard what he said during the post match handshakes with Parkway's bench as well "nothing against you lads , it's the linesman I can't stand" was what I thought I heard .Going to Ivybridge versus Cullompton on Friday night,I will certainly interested in the behaviour of the Cullompton bench

It was a shame really , take out the "opioniated" bench and the bits of playing acting and complaining from the players away , and I thought Cullompton looked a decent side . Knocked the ball around nicely, pacy and intelligent forwards and a very well organised and drilled defence .

Certainly not sour grapes from the Parkway lads, thought we ran out of ideas towards the end of game and looked worryingly short of pace at the back and, not for the first time this season,sides seemed to be able to move through our midfield pretty easily . Cullompton worked out that if you stifle Glyn Hobbs,then you stop Parkway .

Obviously the manager must take responsibility for this but AGAIN how can refs complain when they dont use the powers afforded to them. They have a red card in their pocket, USE IT. Send in a report, bloke gets a ban and fine. If refs started to do this it would stop, eventually!

For info Gillo 10, the Referee does not show the manager a red card unless he is named as a substitute, or is a player who has been substituted. He would just tell him to leave the technical area after he had taken his name.

Sometimes it can be hard for an assistant to call over the referee to deal with this as it is considered they are weak. Also the assistant doesnt always hear everything which is said as they are so focused on the game. Us as referees and assistants dont help ourselves with some of the abuse but occassionally it is easier to ignore or even just not heard at all.

For info Gillo 10, the Referee does not show the manager a red card unless he is named as a substitute, or is a player who has been substituted. He would just tell him to leave the technical area after he had taken his name.

But it looks so much better when one is brandished

Some mangers are disgraceful on the sidelines

Ok. So you made your point that you can not send a Manager off by using a red card , but hey .......... do something and do not ignore it. You all know who the villians are , so stick together and file a report. These people must be releived of their Managerial positions as they are giving the game a worse name. Stand up for yourselves .................

What would the FA think if they got 2 or 3 reports on the trot.

Officials - you have the support from the fans here.

So why does this not happen..

I ran a youth team for 8 years and within this time my team were reported for foul and abusive language on 2 separate accounts. On the second occassion I had to submit a full report ( with the club Secretary / Chairman ) to the Devon Fa.

Outcome ........ was that my club were put on a final conduct warning ( all age groups ) and heavily reminded of the respect campaign.

i dont think if the assistant reported it to the referee he would look weak. i look at myself as a player swearing at the linesman i would expect to be punished. ive had a couple of games where ive been sworn and abused at, called the ref over but unless he hears it himself well then he cannot do anything which is technically correct but if someone swears at you with other players and supporters present to hear this then surely referees should do more. is it true that all fa qualified linesman are allowed to give out yellow cards as well as the referee for foul and abusive language that a referee does not hear? there was a game a couple of seasons ago i reported an incident to the referee and he asks me was it worthy of a card and i said yes. he had completely taken a player and not the ball and had made a couple of mistakes before but i only though fa qualified were able to make that decision though it was nice to have more involvement.

Mr Cornwall, i will try to explain, No a qualified assistant ( by that we mean a registered referee appointed to be an assistant on that game ) cannot take disciplinary action himself, the only person who can do that is the appointed referee, what happens is if there is a problem which requires a caution then the referee will caution on the word of that assistant, if it is a red card then the assistant is also required to send in to the FA a report as to the incident. But it still is the referee who makes the decisions. As to a caution for foul offensive and abusive language, it is a straight red no if`s but`s why`s or wherefores the player concerned should be sent off, a referee who only cautions for that offence is failing to apply the LOAF.

Phew, thanks for clearing up the most important part of the situation.

I was told by a ref friend that he always told official linesmen he had that if they called him over for issues regarding the bench that he will have no choice but to "send off"(red card or not) the offender so they all knew where they stood. An official lino should be aware of LOAF so should be able to deal with it with a word/warning. If it carries on, call over the ref and off the gaffer goes. Then, if he carries on take your flag and ram up his arrogant arse!!

There is some good feedback there guys and some interesting points made.

I have been discussing this with a good friend of mine who is quite a senior referee and in his experience it does happen and he has already this season reported one manager but alas it does you no good as a referee, the managers only give you poor marks which is detrimental to your own seniority/progression.

If you continue to report managers, you then run the risk of accumulating low scores which in turn removes you from the senior leagues.

So where does the FA stand on this, either you back the officials all the way or you will get referee`s playing for their marks, and not the best referee appointed to the games !..........................

Mr Cornwall, i will try to explain, No a qualified assistant ( by that we mean a registered referee appointed to be an assistant on that game ) cannot take disciplinary action himself, the only person who can do that is the appointed referee, what happens is if there is a problem which requires a caution then the referee will caution on the word of that assistant, if it is a red card then the assistant is also required to send in to the FA a report as to the incident. But it still is the referee who makes the decisions. As to a caution for foul offensive and abusive language, it is a straight red no if`s but`s why`s or wherefores the player concerned should be sent off, a referee who only cautions for that offence is failing to apply the LOAF.

B Manning, as I'm sure you are aware, the offence is insulting, abusive or offensive language. If a player "disagreed" with a decision I had made, and he screamed "What the f*** was that for?" it would not be insulting, abusive or offensive (to me). I would however caution him for dissent by word.

If I hear a player shouting swear words across the park, I will advise him to stop, and the second time he did it I would caution him. If that happened to be his 2nd caution of the game, then so be it.

I know we (meaning me!) have gone off on a slight tangent on this thread. To get back on line, if the assistant informs me of any misdemeanour's in the technical area, I am obliged to act upon it.

I got called a cheating by a player the other day when I was running the line, just the once to start with on the initial decision, then when I tried to explain to him how the bloke was offside, I was called an effing cheating kunt. Was there any point raising the flag and letting the referee know? not a cat in hells chance because he was pretty poor himself!

He was made aware of it at the end of the game though, when I approached him and told him of the inept display of refereeing I had witnessed along with the abuse that I got that he failed to do anything about along with his poor reasoning for giving a penalty, and what did he say??? absolutely nothing.

How can you respect someone like this?? And for what its worth the opposing manager heard everything I said and shook my hand after it as well.

bernard, always respect your knowledge, so please tell me why referees assesors tell the refs that their at the ground ? because for the 3rd time this season we have played in a match where the ref told us he was being assessed and have had absolute stinkers....

todays took the biscuit as the most awful 90 minutes i have seen by a ref ever, it is very hard for me not to call him biased but he was that bad i felt embaressed for him, due to a massive crash on the a30 we were at a standstill for 1 and a quarter hours and arrived at the ground ar 2.50 to be told by the ref that "we are kicking off at 3.15 and your getting no lee way and im being assessed and will be doing everything by the book " well i think he must be reading Harry Hill's latest book.... last week we had paul wintle, an absolute gent, talked through his decisions, spoke to the players in a calm manner and refereed with sense, he gets respect because he gives respect back, today steve nute, thought everyone had turned up and paid their money to watch him and he turned the game into a farce and before people come on here and say sour grapes because you lost, i am honest enough to say that we played that badly today that no matter what ref we had we would have still lost, i would love to have seen the assessors report but nothing ever gets done, he spoilt a very pleasent afternoon and thanks to holsworthy for their hospitality.

So going back to my original question would it not be better for the assessor to turn up unannounced and judge the referee on his attributes when he refs in his normal way with out the pressure of knowing that he is being assessed, or perhaps mr nute referees like that every week ?

There is some good feedback there guys and some interesting points made.

I have been discussing this with a good friend of mine who is quite a senior referee and in his experience it does happen and he has already this season reported one manager but alas it does you no good as a referee, the managers only give you poor marks which is detrimental to your own seniority/progression.

If you continue to report managers, you then run the risk of accumulating low scores which in turn removes you from the senior leagues.

So where does the FA stand on this, either you back the officials all the way or you will get referee`s playing for their marks, and not the best referee appointed to the games !..........................

That is what happened to a number of referees last season! Some valid, some not valid!

bernard, always respect your knowledge, so please tell me why referees assesors tell the refs that their at the ground ? because for the 3rd time this season we have played in a match where the ref told us he was being assessed and have had absolute stinkers....

todays took the biscuit as the most awful 90 minutes i have seen by a ref ever, it is very hard for me not to call him biased but he was that bad i felt embaressed for him, due to a massive crash on the a30 we were at a standstill for 1 and a quarter hours and arrived at the ground ar 2.50 to be told by the ref that "we are kicking off at 3.15 and your getting no lee way and im being assessed and will be doing everything by the book " well i think he must be reading Harry Hill's latest book.... last week we had paul wintle, an absolute gent, talked through his decisions, spoke to the players in a calm manner and refereed with sense, he gets respect because he gives respect back, today steve nute, thought everyone had turned up and paid their money to watch him and he turned the game into a farce and before people come on here and say sour grapes because you lost, i am honest enough to say that we played that badly today that no matter what ref we had we would have still lost, i would love to have seen the assessors report but nothing ever gets done, he spoilt a very pleasent afternoon and thanks to holsworthy for their hospitality.

So going back to my original question would it not be better for the assessor to turn up unannounced and judge the referee on his attributes when he refs in his normal way with out the pressure of knowing that he is being assessed, or perhaps mr nute referees like that every week ?

I have to agree that Paul Windle is a top ref and a really nice guy too... but i watched Steve Nute ref a couple of our senior cup games

and he was one of the best refs i have seen !!!! so maybe he had a bad day?....,

But I wish refs would use the cards more often for foul and abusive language!!

in my view.

A referee should never tell any player or team that he is being assessed.

i cant comment on other referees.

but if i am being assessed i wouid not change my style of refereeing to suit the assesors

tell me what team you play for whuru please..

i am a referee (martin smith from plymouth) :thumbsup:

As a recently qualified assessor(unable to ref at present due to a serious illness in june) I can tell you the directive given. For a ref going for promotion i just turn up having 1st checked with the home team the venue and its still the appointed ref. I also ask them not to tell him I'll be there.

level 4 refs are regularly assessed, and part of the assessment is their prematch talk to their assistants, which obviously has to be listened too and is why the assessor is present.

On a side note, as much as I'm enjoying assessing, I can't wait to get back in the middle which hopefully will be before the years out.

SKYBLUEREF : What is your view on the foul and abusive language from the bench ? Surely you hear this when assessing ?

As I've only been assessing this season I've not experienced any. As a ref and an assistant on the SWPL I've experienced some, but not that much. A quiet word before issuing cards usually does the trick, and I don't need to tell them twice.