Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole 1 Falmouth Athletic 1

Recommended Posts

Foxhole 1 Falmouth Athletic 1

Saturday 23rd July 2011

Foxhole were again made to pay for their inability to convert inviting opportunities, having to settle for a second successive draw against lower league opponents. More of a concern, though, would be how, after a promising first half showing, their performance dipped so alarmingly after the break. The Foxes should have fallen behind inside forty-five seconds, Kellow finding himself unmarked ten yards out only to fire straight at Kai Stone, deputising for the injured Ryan Holland. The diminutive blond striker was to cause some anxious moments until his premature withdrawal, but the best chances were subsequently to fall to the home team, the common factor being their incapability to test veteran Toy, who happily watched a host of shots fly off target. Upton, again prominent, released Griffin to blaze over from twelve yards, Moore set up Gamble to be similarly profligate, Griffin outmuscled Sharp only to drag his effort wide, Tregidgo's daisy cutter following clever play by May flashed inches past the post before Upton failed to take advantage first of excellent approach play by Griffin, and then from a fine cross from Grose.

However, Foxhole's dominance was rewarded on 28 minutes in bizarre fashion when a routine long ball from Adam Holland caused Toy and Gibbon to get in each other's way, leaving the grateful Moore to tap home. The Combination team had offered little since Kellow's early attempt, although Bowden was unlucky to see his shot after a mazy dribble cleared from the line by Grose, but they were almost gifted an equaliser when Holland's wayward pass was seized on by Bowden, whose finish was, in keeping with the game, exceedingly weak.

Once Billy Holland's clearance had been charged down by Kellow, who rolled the ball into an empty net on 51, the second half deteriorated into a fairly dire affair, briefly illuminated around the hour mark when the unfortunate Upton twice rattled the bar and Whitby somehow scuffed a shot from close-range with the net gaping. Athletic appeared the more likely to grab a winner, coming closest when Mulroy set up Wilson to fire narrowly over from the edge of the box, while Griffin headed too high from only five yards out late on. Despite the disappointing conclusion to the match, there were at least enough positive signs to suggest some optimism: 16 year old Joe Stone looking assured, the return to first team action of Tregidgo, the goal-threat offered by the experienced Moore, and, above all, the continued impressive target play of Upton among them.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Kai Stone; David Grose, Richard Faircloth, Joe Stone, Adam Holland; Adam Gamble, Richard Griffin, Bradley Ralph, Brandon Tregidgo; Duane Upton,Dave Moore.

Subs: Daniel Allen, Pete May, Billy Holland (gk).

Falmouth Athletic (4-4-2): Kevin Toy; Pete Sharp, Tim Senior, Hugh Gibbon, Matt Boyle; Chris Mulroy, Tim Wilson, Andy Watkins, Matt Rose; Steve Kellow, Ross Bowden.

Subs: Ryan Coles, Matt Davies, Ryan Whitby, Ashley Farrow, Linen Humagain, Robson Rutter (gk).

Referee: Mr Mark Ashley (Penwithick).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Tolley is recovering from injury, but was a spectator.

Foxhole were a decent test for Athletic and it was a good game played in the right spirit.

Interesting use of the sin bin by the referee...there were no injuries so maybe it was a good idea.

Good luck to Foxhole for the coming season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...