Cornwall Football Forum

Dawlish Town

For anybody who is interested Dawlish Town are no longer, they have had to withdraw from all football, huge debts. Maybe this will make people stop and think about the viability of Western Lge in Devon and Cornwall

Would think its more to do with mismanagement off the field than viability of Western Lge in this area.

For anybody who is interested Dawlish Town are no longer, they have had to withdraw from all football, huge debts. Maybe this will make people stop and think about the viability of Western Lge in Devon and Cornwall

Would think its more to do with mismanagement off the field than viability of Western Lge in this area.

OR players playing a social game at the lower end of the Pyramid being paid.

I'm not a golfer but if I were I understand it would cost an arm and a leg to play a round, even a bucket of practice balls costs from three quid to a fiver. Those who play golf and other sports pay to do what they enjoy if they are below a certain standard so why should football clubs be put in danger of closure by paying players at level 5 and below.

My point is why pay players of lesser ability for doing what they enjoy and would do for free if payment was withdrawn.

I would like to see football below a certain level return to amateur status.

OR players playing a social game at the lower end of the Pyramid being paid.

I'm not a golfer but if I were I understand it would cost an arm and a leg to play a round, even a bucket of practice balls costs from three quid to a fiver. Those who play golf and other sports pay to do what they enjoy if they are below a certain standard so why should football clubs be put in danger of closure by paying players at level 5 and below.

My point is why pay players of lesser ability for doing what they enjoy and would do for free if payment was withdrawn.

I would like to see football below a certain level return to amateur status.

Well said MOUNTAINEER,I know some players who play level 5 and 6 football in other counties who don't get paid anything when i tell them what some clubs pay down here they are dumbfounded. One question i was asked is if players are that good why don't they play at a higher level. My answer is most are not that good. Although if clubs are prepared to pay you cant blame the players for taking it i suppose.

The cost of running a Western League club from Devon and Cornwall needs to account for to travel expenses. A club from say Bristol or Someset has much reduced travelling, therefore can operate on lower income from sponsers and thru the gate. Also Torrington withdrew from the Western league a couple of years back, in part due to the travel costs. Let's hope Dawlish can keep their reserves in the Devon & Exeter league and work their way up to the SW Peninsula.

Money does come down to the lower leagues, but to the clubs to provide and improve facilities, not to cover day to day running of them.

The Football Foundation, for example, is the country's largest sports charity, with an annual budget of circa £30m, provided by its funding partners, the Premier League, The FA, and the Government, via Sport England.

The money is invested in the grassroots and since 2000 when it started, it has supported around 8,000 grants worth nearly £1billion. £420m of this has come directly from its three core funding partners, while the Foundation has secured a further £520m from other local and national sources.

Facilities are no good,if their are no football clubs.

I totally agree, but that's the only way a club is going to get any money for free! Actually even then it's not free is it, as clubs always have to put in a percentage themselves.

Blame Sky - the money element throughout the game has gone totally bonkers!!!

I totally agree, but that's the only way a club is going to get any money for free! Actually even then it's not free is it, as clubs always have to put in a percentage themselves.

Blame Sky - the money element throughout the game has gone totally bonkers!!!ninja.gif

Simple solution, cancel Sky contract.

Blame Sky - the money element throughout the game has gone totally bonkers!!!ninja.gif

When was the last time sky MADE a manager pay hugh wages to average players.......... Oh thats right they NEVER have. Blame anyone blame JIMMY HILL who was the one who in 1961, led the Players Union in its successful struggle to lift the £20.00 maximum wage.

When was the last time sky. MADE a manager pay hugh wages to average players.......... Oh thats right they NEVER have. Blame anyone blame JIMMY HILL who was the one who in 1961, led the Players Union in its successful struggle to lift the £20.00 maximum wage.

Even Jimmy did'nt MAKE clubs pay huge wages, still need the budget to do so, most of that comes from SKY. Did'nt happen pre sky.

• 2 weeks later...

How much does sky give to each club?

Money is the route of all evil. How can a club justify paying average players anything up to £100 a week in SWPL and even paying players in the ECPL. It just doesn't work. Gone are the days where local clubs were predominately dominated by local players. Now useless managers are almost demanding a large wage bill to produce mediocer teams. There so many good youngsters coming through the youth leagues why cant they use them. What happened to normal expenses being paid. If clubs get good gates then reward the players with a small bonus, let them earn their money. Clubs must first make themselves financial viable before offering massive wages to players. So what if the club doesn't win the league or all the trophies you will find more local people watching their games if there are more local players.

If not then more clubs will go to the wall.

How much does sky give to each club?

Money is the route of all evil. How can a club justify paying average players anything up to £100 a week in SWPL and even paying players in the ECPL. It just doesn't work. Gone are the days where local clubs were predominately dominated by local players. Now useless managers are almost demanding a large wage bill to produce mediocer teams. There so many good youngsters coming through the youth leagues why cant they use them. What happened to normal expenses being paid. If clubs get good gates then reward the players with a small bonus, let them earn their money. Clubs must first make themselves financial viable before offering massive wages to players. So what if the club doesn't win the league or all the trophies you will find more local people watching their games if there are more local players.

If not then more clubs will go to the wall.

Probably the most sensible post ever on this forum, will anybody take notice? No is the simple answer.

So should people stop and think about the viability of the Southern League in Hampshire or the Hellenic League in Oxfordshire following the demise of Andover and Bicester? Or how about the viability of the Football League in this area because of the problems Plymouth Argyle are enduring?

The jump you make to your conclusion is simplistic to say the least.

Blame anyone blame JIMMY HILL who was the one who in 1961, led the Players Union in its successful struggle to lift the £20.00 maximum wage.

Blaming (the great) Jimmy Hill for the immoral level of wages in the game because he broke the (untenable) £20 maximum wage is beyond ludicrous. Maybe you were joking and I've been wooshed.